Player Watch #38 Noah Cumberland

Remove this Banner Ad

What comes first 200 pages or Cumberland being either re-signed or delisted?
what are list dates for delisting players?
there's usually 2 or 3 together,

Dow and Cumberland didn't get contract extensions. Is the club waiting to finalise our extensive player movement negotiations with Bolton, Rioli, Baker, Graham to see if we need Dow & or Noah.

what are list dates for delisting players?
there's usually 2 or 3 together,

Dow and Cumberland didn't get contract extensions. Is the club waiting to finalise our extensive player movement negotiations with Bolton, Rioli, Baker, Graham to see if we need Dow & or Noah.
Seems logical. There will be nobody left soon. That greyed out photo of the 2017 side looks like at WW1 diggers photograph.

We could turn him
Into our next golden
Half back flanker and trade bait
I anointed him as Houli's replacement back in 2019 (post 73).
Why not (post 117 - (although only jacklaughing agreed with me, mopsy didn't, who would have thought).
Why not put him behind the ball in the VFL, see what happens, if he survives the cut.
Get some attacking run and carry footy into him and then put him back forward if need be.... if he survives the cut.

Last edited:
Why not (post 117 - (although on jacklaughing agreed with me, mopsy didn't, who would have thought).
Why not put him behind the ball in the VFL, see what happens, if he survives the cut.
Get some attacking run and carry footy into him and then put him back forward if need be.... if he survives the cut.
I had your back! ;) :handok:

Why not (post 117 - (although only jacklaughing agreed with me, mopsy didn't, who would have thought).
I think I would agree with mopsy on this one. lol

I think I would agree with mopsy on this one. lol
I think it's a good idea if he stays on the list, in the VFL. Cumberland has a lot of AFL traits. He is quick, hard at the ball, strong, a decent mark and a raking kick. He lacks composure and can go missing.

Saad was a headless chook when he first went to half back, and not so dissimilar to Cumberland. Plenty of forwards have gone behind the ball and changed their game. He needs the pressure off him, let him loosen up a bit. Worked for Dan Rioli, who has always been class, but he had a lot of quiet games up front as well. If he stays on the list, why wouldn't you do something different.

I think it's a good idea if he stays on the list, in the VFL. Cumberland has a lot of AFL traits. He is quick, hard at the ball, strong, a decent mark and a raking kick. He lacks composure and can go missing.

Saad was a headless chook when he first went to half back, and not so dissimilar to Cumberland. Plenty of forwards have gone behind the ball and changed their game. He needs the pressure off him, let him loosen up a bit. Worked for Dan Rioli, who has always been class, but he had a lot of quiet games up front as well. If he stays on the list, why wouldn't you do something different.
I can't see it . Saad i watched as a kid at Coburg and the issue was he was played sitting deep in the FL as a crumbing forward which didn't allow him to play his natural hard running game. Cumberland is nowhere near the running machine and his hardness and mental edge needed are not up to standard. Like Ryan and Dow these players are culture killers bc they're insipid and not mentally or physically tough enough, let alone skilled enough to survive in the modern game.

I can't see it . Saad i watched as a kid at Coburg and the issue was he was played sitting deep in the FL as a crumbing forward which didn't allow him to play his natural hard running game. Cumberland is nowhere near the running machine and his hardness and mental edge needed are not up to standard. Like Ryan and Dow these players are culture killers bc they're insipid and not mentally or physically tough enough, let alone skilled enough to survive in the modern game.
it is pointless and the message is shocking.

Even if he is a chance at his age he would not move the needle getting us into contention so he is better off having a crack at a club closer to the window.

at his age and after the years having him on the list still really is nothing more than a distraction if anyone wants my honest opinion that detracts from the development of the youngsters with more ability and capacity to growth and improve and be more relevant for our next premiership

(Log in to remove this ad.)

it is pointless and the message is shocking.

Even if he is a chance at his age he would not move the needle getting us into contention so he is better off having a crack at a club closer to the window.

at his age and after the years having him on the list still really is nothing more than a distraction if anyone wants my honest opinion that detracts from the development of the youngsters with more ability and capacity to growth and improve and be more relevant for our next premiership
That may be the case but if he stays on the list, whether through his or our doing, then why not do something different with him. I am not talking AFL, but VFL. If he develops who knows, it's not like he is being gifted games, they gave him a decent go and he came up short.

It's like Stack in his last year. He was on the list, so put him at half back in the VFL and see how he goes. But no, not even a quarter at half back. What was the point, (other than deliberately playing him there so he gets cut perhaps).

Yes you are right, so let's leave him where he can't perform for another year. Or try something different. Again, the premise is if he is on our list.

has Noah had more lives than a cat??

getting a bit of a running joke now, surely other clubs must be starting to have a little chuckle

no way he would have lasted this long at Geelong, they will turf first rounders if they feel it is necessary

Last edited:
9, 9 and 7 games across the past three seasons.

7 games this season with the worst imaginable injury list (was he injured at all?).

Played 8 in a row to end 2022. 6 in a row at the start of 2023. 6 in a row middle of this season. Point being he has been given blocks of games to settle in and pick up that pace. But hasn't.

23 years old.

Unfortunately, I don't see any further improvement.

Sam Davison or whoever would make more sense, do we want to turn Cumberland into a cream puff?
Maybe Sam Davison at half back, why not have a look. Strange that the mention of playing a player in a different position brings out cream puff comments, you of all people are normally quite fond of throwing players around. I thought the moment we drafted Cumberland he would be more at home on the half back, 5 years later why not give it a go.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #38 Noah Cumberland

Remove this Banner Ad

Back