Player Watch #38: Tristan Xerri - signed thru '29 - 2024 All Australian squad member

Remove this Banner Ad

The olde bow “body of work”will come into play here on why neither of our players will be chosen. They always come up with some bullshit. However, Nick made it last yr albeit on the bench , so there is a small chance one of them will get in . If I was choosing they would both make it and here’s why the whole thing is bullshit. As the selectors favour who they barrack for.
Lol probably. Even though Sheezel has had close to the best 2 years in existence on paper.

thats my uneducated view
Taps to himself or directly in front.
I think stronger op mids outmuscle ours as they know exactly where the ball is going
For them worst case gang tackle ldu either another ball up or ldu tries to break tackle leads to holding the ball

Don’t want to ruin Sheezel by making him Captain yet. In 2 or 3 years if he keeps performing like he is then offer it to him
And he has been on the record saying he is not ready to be Captain yet as well.

We have captain's curse where selected player gets 30% worse. For Simpkin thats barely noticeable so leave him with it.
Some players thrive on it but only the very very best like The King. Could Harry be the heir ?

I'm all for giving X the captaincy next year if he wants it, with Sheez as his deputy as he's said multiple times on air he's not ready for captaincy yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You look at X - he's not one of the boys who goes on footy trips, drinking and vaping and doing SFA in the gym during the off season.

He actually lives and prepares like an elite athlete - the tackling, the multiple efforts, chasing down small forwards, high minutes played, the tank - it hasn't happened by accident. He's a hard ar$e with a ruthless streak. He doesn't seem like a guy who cares about being popular - and that's the kind of leader we need to change the weak playing culture we have.

The only reason I don't like Xerri captain is the eventuality that Sheez will be the perfect captain for us. Knifing him after 2-3 years of the job might be an awkward transition, especially if he loved the task/didn't want to relinquish.

That's even if he wants to be skip.

thats my uneducated view
Taps to himself or directly in front.
I think stronger op mids outmuscle ours as they know exactly where the ball is going
For them worst case gang tackle ldu either another ball up or ldu tries to break tackle leads to holding the ball
He undeniably hurt us early in the year when he'd grab it and scrap a kick forward to a delighted opponent, or tap it to no-man's land. He still does both sometimes. But his ruck craft has improved, along with the goalkicking and contested marking. It's never going to be at a Goldy level of silk but he's obviously taken on feedback and made adjustments instead of going into his shell. Deserves his praise. Not his fault that our midfield aside from LDU and Sheezel has resembled a nuclear wasteland

Next year he will look even better when he is tapping it down the throat of a Luke Parker or a Petracca 🍆

You look at X - he's not one of the boys who goes on footy trips, drinking and vaping and doing SFA in the gym during the off season.

He actually lives and prepares like an elite athlete - the tackling, the multiple efforts, chasing down small forwards, high minutes played, the tank - it hasn't happened by accident. He's a hard ar$e with a ruthless streak. He doesn't seem like a guy who cares about being popular - and that's the kind of leader we need to change the weak playing culture we have.

Back in 2018 I was working as a Table Games dealer and dealing on a roulette table up on level one near one of the night clubs. Up to my table comes a really big man and his mate, and hands me his Crown Rewards card to scan at the terminal. The guy looked familiar to me, and I was thinking I knew who it was and when I scanned the card it was confirmed: Tristan Xerri.

From memory he was a real gentleman, won a bit and then left the table. Was not drunk, and I'm not even sure he had an alcoholic drink with him. So there you go.

During my time I also met Scotty Thompson, Daniel Wells, Michael Firrito, Robbie Nahas, and Robbie Tarrant. Sometimes I told them I was a North member since 1993, sometimes I didn't. Wellsy was playing for Collingwood when he was at my blackjack table.

I also met Mitchell Starc and Alyssa Healy as well. Everyone was well behaved.

Spud Firrito was probably one of the nicest guys I'd ever met. When I said I was starstruck because I was a huge North fan he was really nice about it.

But yeah, can confirm the above re: X. Was not out of control or anything. From memory it was about November some time. I fact I met all the North boys around that time of year. Never during the season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #38: Tristan Xerri - signed thru '29 - 2024 All Australian squad member

Remove this Banner Ad

Back