Past #39: Leigh Harding - selected with #13 in 2000 RD - retired at end of 2010 season - coaches at BL

Is Harding the new Arnold Briedis?

• Yes, he is the new Briedis

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • No, he's not the new Arnie

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • His goalkicking reminds me of the great Arnie Briedis

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • He is ruggedly handsome like Arnie!

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

jacko57 said:
DevilFish asks "Do these guys actually practise kicking on their opposite foot at training at all ?"

I wonder if they actually practise kicking on their PREFERRED foot !!! So many unpressured turnovers last night, which would have cost us 4 points against most teams.

Another one DF?

Meh. Saved his career for another month (bit of that going on last night) and did what a 90+ game 25yo should be doing every week.

Forgive me if I don't seem rapt with his peformance.

CR7 said:
What fanciful garbage.

Does that mean if Hamish played instead of Petrie we would've won by 50? :)

This isn't about Petrie.

Harding kicked some goals when the game was in the balance and setup a couple of other chances. When Harding has been dropped he has been replaced by Thurley or Sansbury. What have either done in the games they have played this year?

Squat.

Harding has a lot of limitations and I wish we had a good consistant four quarter player to use in that position but we do not. So we ditch the best player in that position with no prospect of having anyone even as good as him to take over?

What kind of stupid strategy is that? Based on performance and prospect, Thurley and Sansbury should be on the bus out before Harding.

Lets recruit someone who can play in that position before we have any delusions of adequacy from any of the others that have failed dismally in that same role.

RoyalBlue said:
Oh have a cry.

Harding's two goals does not a career make.

Seriously, are you incapable of reading or what?

I don't care if Harding is retained or not. I don't think he has played at his potential and doesn't play consistantly enough for my liking and wastes the ball at times.

BUT

What I am saying is the other options we have at this point in time are worse, significantly worse, and I have no faith they will get much, if any, better.

I do not care if Harding goes BUT it is moronic to get rid of your best option until you have someone better to replace him with. That applies for ANY player.

Petrie has a logical replacement in McIntosh, while I do not think on-field at this point in time there is a huge margin for improvement, he has a massive amount of potential for improvement if he is played.

I have not seen anything from Thurley or Sansbury to give me that same kind of optimism.

Lets recruit a better player, give him the opportunity and IF he becomes a better prospect then you can let Harding go. If he was a liability on-field then yeah, dont play him and get rid of him but you would have to be a brain dead moron if you believed at this point in time we have a better option because everyone remotely capable of kicking a goal has been given a shot and they have all been significantly worse.

It is not easy to kick a goal on our forward line with the way our midfield is playing, even Boomer who was deadly in the late 90s in front of goal doesn't even look like kicking a goal in most games.

It is not easy out there so people who are at least kicking some goals or look like they have a chance of kicking a goal are important if we plan on winning a game of footy.

no doubt that grant is a class player but and would be in the team before Harding but its intresting to compare there goal kicking this year.

Harding Grant
R1 3 2
R2 2 0
R3 0 2
R4 3 0
R5 0 1
R6 0 1
R7 2 0
R8 2 1
R9 0 2
R10 DNP 2
R11 DNP 0
R12 2 5

GOALS 14 16
AVG 1.4 1.3

Not bad for a guy that doesnt get a lot of game time, as some one else said he has an X factor in the last quarter he got a clearance out the middle that set up a goal, set up another to Brown and kicked 2 himself, and yet hes being blamed because he dosent have a left foot,

Has Sinclar got a right foot? Simpson is shocking on his preferred foot. Being able to kick on both legs hasnt become as important as it was being claimed it would be 10 years ago.

Tas said:
Seriously, are you incapable of reading or what?

I don't care if Harding is retained or not. I don't think he has played at his potential and doesn't play consistantly enough for my liking and wastes the ball at times.

BUT

What I am saying is the other options we have at this point in time are worse, significantly worse, and I have no faith they will get much, if any, better.

I do not care if Harding goes BUT it is moronic to get rid of your best option until you have someone better to replace him with. That applies for ANY player.

Petrie has a logical replacement in McIntosh, while I do not think on-field at this point in time there is a huge margin for improvement, he has a massive amount of potential for improvement if he is played.

I have not seen anything from Thurley or Sansbury to give me that same kind of optimism.

Lets recruit a better player, give him the opportunity and IF he becomes a better prospect then you can let Harding go. If he was a liability on-field then yeah, dont play him and get rid of him but you would have to be a brain dead moron if you believed at this point in time we have a better option because everyone remotely capable of kicking a goal has been given a shot and they have all been significantly worse.

It is not easy to kick a goal on our forward line with the way our midfield is playing, even Boomer who was deadly in the late 90s in front of goal doesn't even look like kicking a goal in most games.

It is not easy out there so people who are at least kicking some goals or look like they have a chance of kicking a goal are important if we plan on winning a game of footy.

Not about not being able to, more about....

*nods off half way through yet another boring Tas manlove for Harding post*

rooboy_88 said:
For Harding to be a required player in 2007, as long as he can develop more consistency and if JYD senses he isnt getting touches, slot him in the centre and let him show soime mungrel because he isnt half bad with his clearances, is the only way he will be there in 2007.

Maybe Carlton might do a trade for a third rounder

Exactly. JYD is his own word enemy when it comes to 'doing the same mistakes and not learning from it' :rolleyes:

HARDING strength's = SPEED
NMFC 06 defiecency in the midfield = SPEED
JYD common sense = keep playing Harding in the pocket, he'll be dangerous. :eek:

Flippin' UNBELIEVABLE. Harding played his BEST GAME for the club last season VS ESSENDON !!! HELLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOO DEAN????

Still can't work it out???

Watch the game AGAIN and WAKE UP!!!!! FFS!!:mad:

No wonder Harding is fustrating/ predictable to watch. Idiocy coaching that can't coach to player's strength's will never progress.:thumbsdown:

Harding could EASILY walk into another team and TEAR IT UP if the coach can JUST play Turtle to his strength's!!

JYD is continually showing the world he is indeed a ordinary coach. Bottom line.

Woodson said:
Exactly. JYD is his own word enemy when it comes to 'doing the same mistakes and not learning from it' :rolleyes:

HARDING strength's = SPEED
NMFC 06 defiecency in the midfield = SPEED
JYD common sense = keep playing Harding in the pocket, he'll be dangerous. :eek:

Flippin' UNBELIEVABLE. Harding played his BEST GAME for the club last season VS ESSENDON !!! HELLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOO DEAN????

Still can't work it out???

Watch the game AGAIN and WAKE UP!!!!! FFS!!:mad:

No wonder Harding is fustrating/ predictable to watch. Idiocy coaching that can't coach to player's strength's will never progress.:thumbsdown:

Harding could EASILY walk into another team and TEAR IT UP if the coach can JUST play Turtle to his strength's!!

JYD is continually showing the world he is indeed a ordinary coach. Bottom line.

Harding's trade value would be next to zero, and apart from Carlton and the Pagan connection, I can't think of a club that would take him.

RoyalBlue said:
Harding's trade value would be next to zero, and apart from Carlton and the Pagan connection, I can't think of a club that would take him.
I respect your opinon but disagree entirely.

Harding certainly shows signs of danger to the opposition in patches. Very inconsistent. This indicates that the coaching staff have failed to further develop him in a role he would be more effective rather than a small forward. The guy can run. Put further up the ground, he can break the lines as he showed on Friday night.

I must say I'm not a Harding fan but lets try this out, and give him one last chance before we trade him. If he fails this then we know he's useless.

We don't want to see him go to another team and tear games apart consistently. That would hurt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

CR7 said:
Name A CLUB that WOULD take HIM then!!!!! >>> I CAN'T think of ONE EITHER!!!!

:)

Every club can use him. Why are you making it out that other teams/ lists are so superior?? :rolleyes: Team management is more the THING NOW More than ever. I guess you'll WAKE UP along with millions more to realise this one day. (don't take that comment to heart ok) Take a hard long look that AFL has gone 'professional' ....follow the simple instructions kid... this is the way we play. Adelaide have basic NO NAMES littered throughout thier list. Sure the experienced campaigners keep them steady but Neil Craig is no different to JYD, only difference that Neil Craig can recognise his players strength's and utilize them to benefit his team structure. JYD can boast all he likes about Thommo being the best forward going around.... if he is one of few that is being played to his strength...delivery and crumbing is another thing entirely.

RoyalBlue said:

Thats what I was thinking with the Carlton third rounder.

But the thing we should be asking ourselves is,

Would Whyman do a better job in 2007 or should we go for some unpredictable talent in the draft.

Also does Cam Thurley fill this role better. After all i think his only 1 yr younger then harding and has only played a dozen senior games. Harding has more experience and his speed factor is what gives him a huge advantage. All Thurley has going for him is a good shot at goal and defensive tendencies, but that is something we dont need as he is limited.

You herd it from me but I rekon Thurley would go before Harding, or maybe both of them would go because we have shagger and boomer as pockets and the thing that gives harding the nod is his speed.

Woodson said:
Every club can use him. Why are you making it out that other teams/ lists are so superior?? :rolleyes: Team management is more the THING NOW More than ever. I guess you'll WAKE UP along with millions more to realise this one day. (don't take that comment to heart ok) Take a hard long look that AFL has gone 'professional' ....follow the simple instructions kid... this is the way we play. Adelaide have basic NO NAMES littered throughout thier list. Sure the experienced campaigners keep them steady but Neil Craig is no different to JYD, only difference that Neil Craig can recognise his players strength's and utilize them to benefit his team structure. JYD can boast all he likes about Thommo being the best forward going around.... if he is one of few that is being played to his strength...delivery and crumbing is another thing entirely.

I LIKE how you AVOID naming ANY club in PARTICULAR >>> just GOING for a GENERALIST answer!!!

In other WORDS, you CAN'T THINK OF ONE either!!!

p.s. where are all the ADELAIDE NO NAMES???

CR7 said:
I LIKE how you AVOID naming ANY club in PARTICULAR >>> just GOING for a GENERALIST answer!!!

In other WORDS, you CAN'T THINK OF ONE either!!!

p.s. where are all the ADELAIDE NO NAMES???

I think you're better than that CR7. What part of 'any afl club' don't you understand??

#7, #11, #21, #28, #30 for starters.

I'm sure you are aware what second tier & third tier players are. These guys are playing thier part in Neil Craig's system without setting the world on fire but like the supporters here on the North board pointing out the 'potential shining thru' in the Grima's, JWS, H, Swallow's of our list, the unidentified 'no name' Crow players are putting it together collectively and have been been since Craig started as coach. Did we know of Skipworth gamebreaking potentional before he chewed us last season??? Pffft!

He was virtually a no name before that game. Has apparently stringed together some worthwhile games ever since.

If Neil Craig was coaching North, I'd have no doubt we'd be 7 wins or more by now.

rooboy_88 said:
Thats what I was thinking with the Carlton third rounder.

But the thing we should be asking ourselves is,

Would Whyman do a better job in 2007 or should we go for some unpredictable talent in the draft.

Consider this...Eddie Betts UNDRAFTED!!! ;) Whyman will no doubt get his chance in the future but I have serious doubts on JYD's ability to recognize Whyman's strength's and apply them to the team to HURT the opposition because JYD hasn't figured out his own's list after....how long now???? :eek: flippin' DISGRACEFUL. JYD is scrounging ways to do his PR when the situation occurs vs a ordinary and very beatable opposition.
Go figure. :eek: No shame some people.

Harding is a forward crumber and thats about it.
So I'll ask this question, has he been a victim of the game plan, the policy of chipping the ball around, not kicking the ball to contests etc therefore there just simply has'nt been a lot of crumbs coming from marking contests on the forward line?

deano1 said:
Harding is a forward crumber and thats about it.
So I'll ask this question, has he been a victim of the game plan, the policy of chipping the ball around, not kicking the ball to contests etc therefore there just simply has'nt been a lot of crumbs coming from marking contests on the forward line?

Take the blinkers OFF FFS!! :rolleyes:

Woodson said:
Take the blinkers OFF FFS!! :rolleyes:

Just asking the question, dunno if I'm right or not, (probaly not), but they don't call the half forward flank starvation corner for nothing. It can be a position that if the team is not playing well it can be hard to get a kick.

Was it coincidence that Harding went well in the last 1/4 when North got on top in the middle during the last 1/4 and got it into the forward line quickly?

deano1 said:
Just asking the question, dunno if I'm right or not, (probaly not), but they don't call the half forward flank starvation corner for nothing. It can be a position that if the team is not playing well it can be hard to get a kick.

Was it coincidence that Harding went well in the last 1/4 when North got on top in the middle during the last 1/4 and got it into the forward line quickly?

I'm trying to work out what decade / league your talking about?

HHF = Starvation corner??? :confused: Bizzare.

Harding is erractic yet explosive in the same drop. Don't know the bloke personally but I think for someone in the system for 5 seasons can't find ways to beat lesser experienced opponents then thier would be a serious problem. Try convince yourself Deano1 that Harding is just like anyone else. Needs a kick in the pants to FIRE UP. Play him to his strength (speed) and the team benefits two-fold. Btw Deano1, Where you in Guatamala last year when we played Essendon???

Woodson said:
I'm trying to work out what decade / league your talking about?

HHF = Starvation corner??? :confused: Bizzare.

Harding is erractic yet explosive in the same drop. Don't know the bloke personally but I think for someone in the system for 5 seasons can't find ways to beat lesser experienced opponents then thier would be a serious problem. Try convince yourself Deano1 that Harding is just like anyone else. Needs a kick in the pants to FIRE UP. Play him to his strength (speed) and the team benefits two-fold. Btw Deano1, Where you in Guatamala last year when we played Essendon???

Don't get me wrong Woodson I was just as critical as anyone else with his selection this week, check out my post at the top of the 2nd page in this thread http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=250626&page=2. I'm just asking has he been a victim of the **** game plan we have been playing this year. Its pretty hard to use that explosive pace to crumb of contested marking contests in the forward line when there are'nt many of them. Hence he starves of possessions.

But at the same time there have been plenty of crumbs hit the ground in our forward line when he has nowhere near it.

Did'nt he kick 4 goals against Essendon last year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #39: Leigh Harding - selected with #13 in 2000 RD - retired at end of 2010 season - coaches at BL

Back