Past #39: Leigh Harding - selected with #13 in 2000 RD - retired at end of 2010 season - coaches at BL

Is Harding the new Arnold Briedis?

• Yes, he is the new Briedis

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • No, he's not the new Arnie

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • His goalkicking reminds me of the great Arnie Briedis

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • He is ruggedly handsome like Arnie!

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

For all the criticism he cops, I can remember some Turtle magic.

IIRC, he kicked the winning goal in the McCartney match.
He kicked the sealer from near the boundary in Colbert's 200th at Subiaco Oval.
His torpy against Essendon last year.

Pity we never saw the best out of Turtle. Possibly could have done more with his God-given attributes, but still a contributor nonetheless. Kind of like a broken excitement-machine old Leigh, always had my heart in my mouth when he got the ball. Remember kicking an awesome point in a night match against Essendon a few years back. Got the ball on the run about 35 out, arched the back and evaded an outstretched tackle, then missed the goal:( . Swear it was the best turn of speed i've ever seen on a footy field.

Good luck in the future Leigh.

chapmanmagic35 said:
Kicked six goals out on a cold and windy day at Geelong in 2002.

Fond memories of that game.

Must have been blowing so hard that normal Harding kicks destined to be points or out on the full, went thru for goals

Tough luck with the knee for him, but more so the club. oh well

Is Harding's contract up is it?

Wrath

I'm an unabashed Turtle fan, upset to hear of his bad luck.

Love the way he plays. Yes I know he's inconsistent but it's more just slipping out of games for reasons we don't understand.

He's hard at the ball, marks it beautifully and can impact. Give me 10 Turtles to 1 ****ter Brown thanks.

Hope they retain him, could see him getting us in front for a flag one day. Laugh at me if you will, I will be right if he is given the chance.

My North said:
Will Dean Laidley de-list him now or if he does stay he is on the long term injury list so someone can came off the rookie list on to the main list from Round 1 next year.
Football is a ruthless business. There is every chance that the club will delist Harding if he is out of contract. These are the sort of hard decisions that have to be made. The tears on Harding's face pretty much summed it up. He must know in his own mind that this could be the end.

Roo-Boy said:
Yeh I saw the vision on the footy show. The poor guy is devestated. I feel for him:(

Was awful seeing him so devastated. The guy would know his standing in the team, and that he was probably being played so that he could prove why he should stay on the list.

If he's out of contract, I can't see him making it back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Devil Fish said:
The imbecile that said that should have a broken beer bottle rammed up his anus. What sort of journalism is that????
Could the timing have been any worse? He has become untradeable in the blink of an eye.

Gee I hate shiit like this.

in all seriousness, i know we are only internet aliases, and i am a bit ****ed, but are we that disaffected?

I read the thread - and I have definitely bagged Harding as much as anyone - but it just gets beyond that.

A blokes livelihood has just been dragged through the shiit as he is doing everything he can to play for our club.

A trade is the last thing I am thinking about.

Anyone feel the same?

Zondor said:
Football is a ruthless business. There is every chance that the club will delist Harding if he is out of contract. These are the sort of hard decisions that have to be made. The tears on Harding's face pretty much summed it up. He must know in his own mind that this could be the end.

If he is out of contract, he must be delisted.

The Zebra said:

in all seriousness, i know we are only internet aliases, and i am a bit ****ed, but are we that disaffected?

I read the thread - and I have definitely bagged Harding as much as anyone - but it just gets beyond that.

A blokes livelihood has just been dragged through the shiit as he is doing everything he can to play for our club.

Anyone feel the same?
Yeah, for starters he was untradeable, now he's definatly untradable - but this is besides the point.

I'm thinking of what a terrible thing is happening right now. Harding hasn't done enough to be kept on. The club will need to make decisions in it's best interest, and that just might mean delisting a guy who's knee has just exploded.

I don't know if he'll ever see this or whatever but Leigh my best wishes are with you mate.

You frustrate the hell out of me, but nobody has ever been able to question your desire to play for our footy club. Have a speedy recovery and I hope we get to see you in blue and white again.

I don't think he was going to be delisted or traded by the rumblings inside the club. Laids reckons he has had an improved year (except fpr goalkicking) in his new role.
This gives him a guaranteed extra season.
No matter what we think we wouldn't wish this injury on any Kangaroo. Good luck for a full recovery Turtle.

Wrath said:
Is Harding's contract up is it?

Wrath

The Hun reported Turtle has 1 year remaining on current contract.

Saw the footage on Channel 9 this morning..he looked positively crushed. It will be interesting to see what the Roos will do with him. All the best for a speedy recovery Leigh

Even if he's contract was up for renewal... this is where our club has a great opportunity to show the playing list that we as a club stand by our men... and if that means we go into 2007 one player short so be it...

We have to make sure the playing list understands that we support them and in these times are prepared to do more then what is contractually required... these small sacrifices pay huge dividends at the other end...

All the best Turtle in a full and speedy recovery...

Originally Posted by shintemaster
Harding was one of those players I always wanted to do well for himself.

Same here mate. We, as supporters, would feel as nervous as him as he'd do the slow walk forward with the ball in hand about to have a set shot at goal. This bloke's heart has always been in the right place. He's tried his best and probably been played out of position for much of his career. I'm shattered for Turtle.

Originally Posted by The Zebra

Anyone feel the same?

I certainly do TZ, 100%. It was gut wrenching to see how much it meant to him as he limped off. I really do wish him the very best for a speedy and full recovery.

BTW, for anyone doubting his importance to us this year, I think it's highlighted by the fact he has been our second highest goal contributor with 22 for the season (which probably says more about the other forwards, apart from Thommo of course). If he kicked straight he'd have kicked mid 30's to 40 at least. We've all knocked him for his innaccuracy, a flaw which he himself has been well aware of, but you could never knock his effort.

CHIN UP AND GOOD LUCK TURTLE :thumbsu:

T'toes

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #39: Leigh Harding - selected with #13 in 2000 RD - retired at end of 2010 season - coaches at BL

Back