3rd Test: Sri Lanka vs. Australia

• Thread starter Fall Out Boy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by GrahamH
Not condoning what Langer did but was it any worse than Tillerkeratnes effort last week, not even a mention in the umpires reports ???? Wonder what have happened if a certain Shane Warne was involved ?????

Good point.Why wasn't any action taken against Tillerkeratne ?

Stumps

3/80

Ponting...caught 1st slip

Dizzy(nightwatchman)...caught leg slip of Murali for 1

Langer 14* I think.

Originally posted by IceTemple
Anyone care to explain the point of a night watchman? I personally thought it was to BLOCK the ball and NOT get out. Maybe someone needs to tell Dizzy this.

The night watchman is the most ridiculous concept in cricket. It rarely ever works, and all it does is stuff up a batting line-up. What it does now is Gilchrist walks in at 8 with only Warne, Kaprowicz and Williams after him.

It took Steve Waugh some time to work this out and he eventually gave the night watchman away, and had wonderful success. Too bad Ponting wasn't paying attention.

Looks like they are all looking towards Boof again for a score.

if anyone is going to make it through to stumps surely it's the next batsman in the batting line-up. He'd stand more of a chance than a tail-ender at any rate.

oh, temporarily forgot who we are talking about here, and who's mates with who in this current team.

Not condoning what Langer did but was it any worse than Tillerkeratnes effort last week, not even a mention in the umpires reports ???? Wonder what have happened if a certain Shane Warne was involved ?????
good point. At the very least it should have been looked at.

Pretty happy with how today's play went, just wish I could've seen more of it! (damn work/study, need to move the comp into the TV room!) Flabbergasted that we managed to take a 1st innings lead, great job by the middle/lower order, in particular by Hashan, to build on the good start by Marvan & Sanath. I expected us to be knocked over for around 300 before the innings started and after losing those wickets early today I thought that's where we were headed. Nice to be proved wrong!

A good start to have Australia 3/80 at the end of the day's play but we've had quite a few good starts in this series and not gone on with it. Hopefully we can get a few quick wickets tomorrow morning and restrict the Aussies to a low score to give us a chance to win it. I still think a draw is more likely at this stage and the pitch is playing much better than I thought it would, although it is starting to keep low now. Anything more than 200 to chase will see either a draw or an Aussie win, anything less a win either way is on the cards. All to play for tomorrow morning, C'mon you Lions!

Just to add, I think there is some major inconsistencies with the current reporting system. Looking at the current Aus/SL series makes me feel very sorry for one Virender Sehwag. This guy got a one test suspension a few years ago for excessive appealing :rolleyes: . Chucker and Sangakarra take note. Not to mention the appalling umpiring of Steve Bucknor who I thought 12-18 months ago was the best umpire in world cricket. He is a shocker. The ICC are on about players respecting the traditions of the game by showing the umpires a courtesy by appealing for a decision, well, hows about Mr Bucknor following suit by actually raising his finger when a batsman is out instead of just nodding his head !!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by demon_dave
If BNG did do this he is a blatant cheat and should pack his bags for Perth
He'll be doing that anyway, it's the last match of the tour ;)

Any theories on why he did it? It could just about cost him his career.

Time for Bucknor to follow Venkat into retirement IMO. They were clearly the best umpires in the world 2-3 years ago, but they're dropping down the list quickly.

Well according to baggygreen.com BNG has been cleared, as he testifyed that it was inadvertant. It didn't look like an accident going on replay, but I guess the matter has been dealt with.

In regards to the Tillekeratne incident in the second test, I would have thought that was more a reflex action then anything, almost like flicking the ball away from yuor stumps. Obviously it wasn't the right thing to do and maybe should have been looked at, but you'd be surprised what does and doesn't register in your mind in that sort of situation.

Then again, if he had made contact with the ball before Punter could catch it, he would have likely been out obstructing the field anyway.

After going to the footy last night and getting home at 1.00a.m, I thought the day might have got a bit better by checking out what when on in the cricket. Seems not.

After not seeing any of the test yesterday, can someone give a prediction on what sort of target the aussies will need to set. How's the pitch playing etc?

Originally posted by JUBJUB
How could he have not known he flicked the bail ?
Hey, if you can accidentally have a lolly fall out of your mouth then accidentally rub it all over one side of the ball, then anything is possible!

Personally I'm amazed the match referee hasn't got anything better to do than spend time on something so trivial.

Originally posted by Pedro
After going to the footy last night and getting home at 1.00a.m, I thought the day might have got a bit better....
were you at the rugby league or something? Consider yourself lucky you made it home in one piece knowing the savages that rock up to the games nowdays.

Originally posted by JUBJUB
How could he have not known he flicked the bail ?
Surely you can feel wood hitting your finger.
more the fact he stuck out his hand and dislodged a single bail with a finger flicking it towards him. Thats something that doesnt happen just dangling your arm walking past. You could actually see him extend his arm towards the stumps as he walked past.

Originally posted by nicko18
were you at the rugby league or something? Consider yourself lucky you made it home in one piece knowing the savages that rock up to the games nowdays.

No, MCG. Only had to deal with a few Richmond savages ;) :D

Remove this Banner Ad

3rd Test: Sri Lanka vs. Australia

Remove this Banner Ad

Back