Expansion 3rd Western Australian club

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't someone from the WAFL or WAFC recently call the talk of a third WA club madness?

On SM-X200 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Not exactly. WAFC wouldn't want the AFL interfering with the current model & that any third team in WA would need to be owned by the WAFC.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

I still think the best option would be for a new team to be called Perth.

Perth Sharks. Playing at the new stadium.

Perth could handle having 3 teams, all playing out of Optus stadium.

Better use of such a great facility. Perth has 2.1million people so it'd be a good fit for a new club. :)

I wonder if the local Nyoongar people would consent to the ‘Perth Wagyl’s’.

“The Wagyl is described as a snakelike Dreaming creature (rainbow serpent) responsible for the creation of the Swan and Canning rivers and other waterways and landforms around present day Perth and the south-west of Western Australia.”

Also, have them train at Leederville or Bassendean Oval to secure some funding and get one of them upgraded.

If WA does not go full steam for a third team Canberra will get it. There will be a 20th team, its simple a game now about who can make the business case. Frankly, I cannot see WA3 being beaten to be the 20th team IF it is gone for with commitment.
6 Derby's a year (4 for each team), 2 games every second week.
Be mad not to go for it.
Canberra can be left for when a Vic club gets an offer it cannot refuse or GWS folds into it full time (cannot see GWS doing that, too important for the AFL to have 2 teams in Sydney and they can support it).

Perfect apart of the total lack of supporters.

Seriously, who's going to follow Perth Sharks?
Future generations. If you schedule the Sharks games against the Eagles and Dockers twice and only give them the big drawing clubs, you’d still get decent crowds in their infancy from people who want to see more footy in WA.

They’d probably be a lot of people’s little sibling team in Perth. That said, I’ve always said that if people are concerned about the size of the league, then the AFL should only target new markets and large geographical regions that are unrepresented.

So if we go to 24 teams, 5 of those imo should be ACT, NT, NQ and NZ.

I still think the best option would be for a new team to be called Perth.

The Perth name is vacant.

Perth Sharks. Playing at the new stadium.

Perth Sharks would have to identify with some region and some demographic.
North and South are taken so that leaves Perth and regions to the East.

Perth could handle having 3 teams, all playing out of Optus stadium.

Technically the population could support three teams but as we have seen in Melbourne
it's the distribution of team supporters that is the problem.

Better use of such a great facility. Perth has 2.1million people so it'd be a good fit for a new club. :)

Perth Stadium is very EXPENSIVE so it'd be a very poor fit for a new club trying to survive.
The stadium organisation would have to lower it's rates but it is still a very expensive stadium with infrastructure to run.

Future generations.

That only works in cities where people don't already have a team.

Why would future generations follow them? And why would the AFL want a team that they have to prop up for 30 years when it won't actually increase the number of supporters of the game?

If you schedule the Sharks games against the Eagles and Dockers twice and only give them the big drawing clubs, you’d still get decent crowds in their infancy from people who want to see more footy in WA.

Might get 10k a game, mostly neutrals.

You need a better hook than a nothing team like Perth Sharks.

If WA does not go full steam for a third team Canberra will get it. There will be a 20th team, its simple a game now about who can make the business case. Frankly, I cannot see WA3 being beaten to be the 20th team IF it is gone for with commitment.
Be mad not to go for it.
Canberra can be left for when a Vic club gets an offer it cannot refuse or GWS folds into it full time (cannot see GWS doing that, too important for the AFL to have 2 teams in Sydney and they can support it).
I reckon it will go back to 18.
Post Gillion when under new management, the AFL should review the $Billion wasted on GWS and the Gold Coast.
Dump one or force North to merge (so stop gifting North free picks)

I reckon it will go back to 18.
Post Gillion when under new management, the AFL should review the $Billion wasted on GWS and the Gold Coast.
Dump one or force North to merge (so stop gifting North free picks)

lol billion.
Settle down. almost all the money spent on the clubs has been covered by tv rights money alone.

The league dosnt have the power to force a club merger if it doesnt own the board.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have the WAFC or any WAFL club campaigned for a team? I'm not expecting a grassroots community movement or anything, but this will only happen if someone in Perth with some level of footballing presence actually wants it to happen.

Talkng to an old cardinal (West Perth) player who is social with the current hierarchy
he was perplexed by the mere mention of WA3.

Be mad not to go for it.

This makes a lot of sense, 6 derbies a year would be awesome for footy in W.A.

When I wrote about 6 derby games I was thinking more about the travelling... but now I think about it a bit more it really is a positive for footy. More rivalry the better.

Would the AFL commit to six derbies?

With 18 teams over 23 rounds, there's six double ups. One committed rivalry double up doesn't affect the draw too much.

With 20 teams, there's only four double ups. If they ensure six derbies, that'd mean half of the double ups for Perth teams are fixed.

Does that compromise the draw too much?

Would the AFL commit to six derbies?

With 18 teams over 23 rounds, there's six double ups. One committed rivalry double up doesn't affect the draw too much.

With 20 teams, there's only four double ups. If they ensure six derbies, that'd mean half of the double ups for Perth teams are fixed.

Does that compromise the draw too much?
I don’t think it does. Half the double ups for Melbourne teams are against other Melbourne teams and no one seems bothered by it.

The bigger issue I think with another team in Perth is running the risk of new markets that grow the game missing out altogether.

There’s just no guarantee there will ever be a 21st team, though I think there will be. The AFL will find a way to make it work no matter how many new teams they want.

That only works in cities where people don't already have a team.

Why would future generations follow them? And why would the AFL want a team that they have to prop up for 30 years when it won't actually increase the number of supporters of the game?

Might get 10k a game, mostly neutrals.

You need a better hook than a nothing team like Perth Sharks.
A demerger of Brisbane Lions, allowing Fitzroy to return to the AFL and Victoria, makes as much sense as a third Perth team. You can use all the same arguments.
  • great stadium(s)
  • growing population. Base them in an expanding area
  • Some games are sold out (could be up to a dozen in Melbourne this season) so there must be fans missing out, who would potentially support the new club
  • 16/17 local derbies v other Vic clubs
  • they would average 20k (up to 50k v Big 4, 10k v GWS/GC/Port/Freo)

And , just like WA3, it makes no sense because it does not grow the game, and because no one is calling for it. The only people who would profit from having extra derbies in WA are the WAFL, and they have zero interest in another team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Expansion 3rd Western Australian club

Remove this Banner Ad

Back