Analysis 4 Areas Richmond Should Find Improvement in 2025, All Being Equal...

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
The all being equal bit might be the issue, never seems to be the case for us in recent years.

1. Coaching stability. Along with Suns, the only 2 teams to enter 2024 with new coaches in place. Will be Yze's 2nd year and Newman, Ziebell also. It is tough to quantify and calculate this effect with any precision, but it should be worth a couple of extra wins on average.

2. The draw. We finished 13th last year and the way the draw is intended to work, our median double up opponent finishing position should be around 10.5th. In the event it is 2 positions tougher than that, 8.5th. Cats, who finished higher than us, and in the top 12 should have had a double up draw of 9.5th median finishing position. What they actually got was 11.8th The difference between our draw and theirs is like us both having the same draw bar one game where they play 17th and we play 3rd. So there is some significance to it. If that corrects in 2025 as it should, we get at least one extra very winnable game.

3. Umpiring. We remain 18th. We know what causes this and it is bias, there can be no doubt about it. We are a free kick a 1/4 below AFL average. The difference between our umpiring and average umpiring is a goal a game, based on the average free being from the centre circle therefore an inside 50 and about every 4th inside 50 yields a goal. A goal a game added to our score this season is another extra win.

4. Injuries. We have obviously had a massive outlier season in 2024. It is surely impossible to have a worse season and also very highly unlikely to be anywhere near as badly off. And it is not just a matter of 10 players got injured and were missing from our best team but the teams we fielded were stable from then on and able to improve as the season progressed, there has barely been any stability in the team all season. After 21 matches, 19 players have played between 5 and 14 matches. The corresponding figure for Geelong is 11 players. These are the players coming in and out of the team the most. For the blues that figure is 11 players. For Collingwood it is 16. Collingwood and Carlton are recognised as badly affected by injuries so it shows just how unstable we have been due to injury. We are seeing those 2 teams likely to finish finish at least 3-4 wins below what they were universally expected to achieve. So it is not difficult to extrapolate from that our injuries have cost us 5-6 wins minimum.

So we can see from using reasonable estimates for all these factors where our 10 extra expected wins have vanished. Hopefully we get a fair run next year and that alone will lead to big improvement.

Against that, we look likely to lose 3-4 of our best players from this season and replace them with kids from the draft. Hopefully we get a better run with these mainly uncontrollable factors though, and see some improvement that way.

1. We have hopefully picked the right person and a gameplan starts to appear.

2. Could easily see us copping an improved North & Pies from bottom 6 as double ups just because AFL lol

3. Insert its been 82 years gif for the last time we weren't 18th. Who knows if this changes 😂😂😂

4. Surely can't be worse but 5 guys already have their pre season ruined. Lynch fit would make us at least semi competitive upfront because we aren't getting a contest currently.

If we lose those 4 guys we will be 17th/18th. But with a crop of gun kids at least it should be a fun season full of some hope again.

Been kind of nice having a stress free season.

2. Could easily see us copping an improved North & Pies from bottom 6 as double ups just because AFL lol

3. Insert its been 82 years gif for the last time we weren't 18th. Who knows if this changes 😂😂😂

4. Surely can't be worse but 5 guys already have their pre season ruined. Lynch fit would make us at least semi competitive upfront because we aren't getting a contest currently.

If we lose those 4 guys we will be 17th/18th. But with a crop of gun kids at least it should be a fun season full of some hope again.

Have enjoyed not giving a **** about the umpires reaming us in the second half of this season.

The all being equal bit might be the issue, never seems to be the case for us in recent years.

1. Coaching stability. Along with Suns, the only 2 teams to enter 2024 with new coaches in place. Will be Yze's 2nd year and Newman, Ziebell also. It is tough to quantify and calculate this effect with any precision, but it should be worth a couple of extra wins on average.

2. The draw. We finished 13th last year and the way the draw is intended to work, our median double up opponent finishing position should be around 10.5th. In the event it is 2 positions tougher than that, 8.5th. Cats, who finished higher than us, and in the top 12 should have had a double up draw of 9.5th median finishing position. What they actually got was 11.8th The difference between our draw and theirs is like us both having the same draw bar one game where they play 17th and we play 3rd. So there is some significance to it. If that corrects in 2025 as it should, we get at least one extra very winnable game.

3. Umpiring. We remain 18th. We know what causes this and it is bias, there can be no doubt about it. We are a free kick a 1/4 below AFL average. The difference between our umpiring and average umpiring is a goal a game, based on the average free being from the centre circle therefore an inside 50 and about every 4th inside 50 yields a goal. A goal a game added to our score this season is another extra win.

4. Injuries. We have obviously had a massive outlier season in 2024. It is surely impossible to have a worse season and also very highly unlikely to be anywhere near as badly off. And it is not just a matter of 10 players got injured and were missing from our best team but the teams we fielded were stable from then on and able to improve as the season progressed, there has barely been any stability in the team all season. After 21 matches, 19 players have played between 5 and 14 matches. The corresponding figure for Geelong is 11 players. These are the players coming in and out of the team the most. For the blues that figure is 11 players. For Collingwood it is 16. Collingwood and Carlton are recognised as badly affected by injuries so it shows just how unstable we have been due to injury. We are seeing those 2 teams likely to finish finish at least 3-4 wins below what they were universally expected to achieve. So it is not difficult to extrapolate from that our injuries have cost us 5-6 wins minimum.

So we can see from using reasonable estimates for all these factors where our 10 extra expected wins have vanished. Hopefully we get a fair run next year and that alone will lead to big improvement.

Against that, we look likely to lose 3-4 of our best players from this season and replace them with kids from the draft. Hopefully we get a better run with these mainly uncontrollable factors though, and see some improvement that way.
No.4 has been the biggest hurt (pun intended) particularly with our forward line, not having Lynch, LeFau, Fawcett, Gray and Bauer available has meant that we've used Kosi (and Balta) as our keys, probably Ryan at stages too, it's no wonder that we've had trouble scoring.
I'm looking forward (another pun) to a rejuvenated structure, add in Clarke, MRJ, Green, Mansell and Campbell (no Baker or Bolton) and I can see us being way more competitive.

Further improvement in the youngsters will help the most.
All of these guys have shown something in at least a couple of games the last couple of seasons and should become more consistent next year
Lefau
Campbell
Green
Brown
Ralphsmith
Clarke
Dow
Mcauliff
Mansell
Ryan
Trezise
Blight
Bauer
Smith
Miller
Banks
Young
Rioli
Ross
Cumberland
Sonsie
Etc

A couple of youngsters may be out the door with a big draft coming up.
Keen to get picks from Bolton, Baker and Graham.
Rioli would be good to keep but if he wants to go then more picks for us :D

The standout for me this year is we win inside 50;s plenty of weeks, but have no forward line.

Lynch fit and players available playing most weeks and I would bet we won plenty of games.

Lynch fit
Animated GIF

I don't disagree though. I think we'd be in the Adelaide/Saints area if he played more often than not.

The 5 areas that I see as keys to our improvement.

1. Healthy List
We need a healthy list hitting preseason training. Granted the guys who are recovering from ACLs will be limited to a certain degree as they're all in different stages of rehab. However if we can get 90-95% of the list hitting the ground running in November we will be much better placed to implement the game plan that Yze wants us playing.

2. Committed Players
Given the speculation about potential trades/free agency moves anyone who stays will be 100% committed to the club. This can only aid in the on field performance as we won't have guys going through the montions like we do now.

3. Injection of Talent.
If the rumoured moves happen we will get an injection of talented kids that we haven’t had since the mid to late 2000s, when we had Riewoldt Edwards Cotchin Rance & Martin drafted into the club. The difference is that we're going to get this in 1 draft. Maybe not the same overall quality as those 5, but good enough to be able to make a difference. Areas of concern will be addressed and we will be able to watch on as this group comes through together.

4. Consistency in Selection
Harping back to the healthy list, having the same happen during the season will be even more important as we will begin to build chemistry and symmetry throughout the line up. All 3 areas of the ground will begin to work together and have an understanding of what needs to be done both offensively and defensively to allow us to play a competitive brand of footy more often.

5. New Era
With the list changes that could happen the list and structure of the side is going to look vastly different to what we've been accustomed to. We will become younger, quicker & classier, and while there will be times when it doesn't come together it will be the moments when it does that will build the excitement for the future.

In years to come we will look back on 2024 as the year we had to have, much like 2016 was.

Stability, stability, stability.
In all areas.
New CEO committed to overseeing the club not just to the end of their contract (end of this year), but with a vision 5 years plus into the future.
Revamped coaching panel that are all supporting Yze.
The seemingly random one of injuries is the biggest factor to on field improvement. Not only having close to our best team week in week out, but the added benefit this brings of team connectivity. You can see the disconnect out on the field this year, yes new coach and game plan (that is hard to see), but the lack of consistency in the team would have made it hard to implement anything new.

I think we need to model ourselves on the top teams of the comp. Pies have done an amazing job with the flag defe… oh wait 🤣

But seriously just stay bottom 4 get good kids and support team around Yze. I don’t think Meehan is the problem tbh, our good players are injury prone af and he can’t fix 5 ACLs.

Animated GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We should be careful what we wish for. For me, a successful 2025 would be:

* Win more quarters, but don't win more games - like the Hawks of 2022/2023, we want to show glimpses but never put it together for a full game. Getting more access to top talent in the 2025 draft will be critical to our long term success.

* A "Richmond-style" emerges - In those successful quarters we can see what Yze is trying to do. I'm hoping to see two-way running from our midfielders and slingshot footy from the back half.

* Great list management - trade out our over-valued talent for draft picks, keep reloading the bottom of the list with high potential rookies and secure under-valued talent from other clubs through astute trading. Easy enough. I'd like to see a "spine" emerging that can take us to our next flag, but this will take a few seasons.

* More supporter engagement - the club took us on the journey in the early days of Dimma. He used to break down a bit of game film every week and it was shared on the club website. We knew what the plan was to move out of the middle-reaches of the ladder. We're in for a tough few years and the club needs to over-communicate with the supporters who may otherwise lose interest after 3 flags.

No.1 need for me is the need for two quick mids. Not the draft boys because they don't need that pressure, but two young players on our list who can give us some pace around the ball.

Dow was tried but largely failed. He was quick enough to get to the fall of the ball, but his strength and running power were not AFL standard. Do we try Daniel Rioli in there if he stays, why wouldn't you. MacAuliffe might be one, but he was a long way off this season, big ask to make up that ground in one preseason. I fancy Campbell in there as he has very good running power but needs to get down and dirty over summer. Stranger things have happened, nobody would have picked him preseason as maybe our best prospect. Even Steely Green may bolt over summer. He has class and grunt. Forgot about Ross, he is at least a good runner these days and he uses the ball well, but he is not quick.

If we go into next season with Hopper, Taranto, Prestia and Ross with cameos from Graham, then we are gone. Coach has to be bold over the preseason and press some of our younger players, or probably the most likely Rioli, take up the challenge.

No.1 need for me is the need for two quick mids. Not the draft boys because they don't need that pressure, but two young players on our list who can give us some pace around the ball.

Dow was tried but largely failed. He was quick enough to get to the fall of the ball, but his strength and running power were not AFL standard. Do we try Daniel Rioli in there if he stays, why wouldn't you. MacAuliffe might be one, but he was a long way off this season, big ask to make up that ground in one preseason. I fancy Campbell in there as he has very good running power but needs to get down and dirty over summer. Stranger things have happened, nobody would have picked him preseason as maybe our best prospect. Even Steely Green may bolt over summer. He has class and grunt. Forgot about Ross, he is at least a good runner these days and he uses the ball well, but he is not quick.

If we go into next season with Hopper, Taranto, Prestia and Ross with cameos from Graham, then we are gone. Coach has to be bold over the preseason and press some of our younger players, or probably the most likely Rioli, take up the challenge.
I have been saying for weeks/months, Riolli should have been played on ball when we were decimated with injuries to see how he went.

I reckon he and Shai, with Hopper and TT would be elite.

* Win more quarters, but don't win more games - like the Hawks of 2022/2023, we want to show glimpses but never put it together for a full game. Getting more access to top talent in the 2025 draft will be critical to our long term success.

* A "Richmond-style" emerges - In those successful quarters we can see what Yze is trying to do. I'm hoping to see two-way running from our midfielders and slingshot footy from the back half.

* Great list management - trade out our over-valued talent for draft picks, keep reloading the bottom of the list with high potential rookies and secure under-valued talent from other clubs through astute trading. Easy enough. I'd like to see a "spine" emerging that can take us to our next flag, but this will take a few seasons.

* More supporter engagement - the club took us on the journey in the early days of Dimma. He used to break down a bit of game film every week and it was shared on the club website. We knew what the plan was to move out of the middle-reaches of the ladder. We're in for a tough few years and the club needs to over-communicate with the supporters who may otherwise lose interest after 3 flags.
This 100%.

4 non negotiable areas of improvement I want to see:

1. Defending transition from our forward 50, has been putrid.
2. Centre clearance work and general creativity within the midfield group has been very vanilla
3. Our tackle numbers have been an absolute disgrace, partly due to a lot of younger players being out muscled ect
4. A taller forward line with combinations of lynch/gray/lefau - I personally don’t think Ryan will make it

Further improvement in the youngsters will help the most.
All of these guys have shown something in at least a couple of games the last couple of seasons and should become more consistent next year
Lefau
Campbell
Green
Brown
Ralphsmith
Clarke
Dow
Mcauliff
Mansell
Ryan
Trezise
Blight
Bauer
Smith
Miller
Banks
Young
Rioli
Ross
Cumberland
Sonsie
Etc

A couple of youngsters may be out the door with a big draft coming up.
Keen to get picks from Bolton, Baker and Graham.
Rioli would be good to keep but if he wants to go then more picks for us :D
I like that Etc guy, HBF?

4 non negotiable areas of improvement I want to see:

1. Defending transition from our forward 50, has been putrid.
2. Centre clearance work and general creativity within the midfield group has been very vanilla
3. Our tackle numbers have been an absolute disgrace, partly due to a lot of younger players being out muscled ect
4. A taller forward line with combinations of lynch/gray/lefau - I personally don’t think Ryan will make it

Ryan is never going to make it as a forward. He is a developing ruck, who should be able to pop up occasionally when forward. It will be all about whether he can develop the core strength and tank required to stand up as a ruckman ultimately. The club is clearly confident he will, thus the 3 year deal. For the next year or two I would not be surprised if the only times he plays AFL is when Nankervis is not fit.

Last edited:

Support engagement is going to be very necessary for keeping the faith. Very good points you’ve made.

Small gains could yield big results given the fact that most of the teams we've played this year have been beatable, even with the issues we've had.

I'd like to see more strength from our players - getting good body positions to take marks, try to slip tackles, spoil high balls from oppo kicks.
Better crumbing - when the ball is loose amongst a load of bodies we make efforts to use it to advantage but we tend to lose out in this area. We can work on reacting better in these situations.
Positional play in defence - how many times has a ball got bombed up into our defensive 50 and there was no one at home? Keep the FB line back.
Find and use space - run into space, give the ball to a teammate in space, make decoy runs, support your teammates' movement.
Try and kick for goal in open play from further out - that's one way to cover for an uninspiring forward line.
Make second efforts.

Overall match fitness - a full complement of players with the tank to last 4 quarters is a minimum requirement we haven't been meeting this year.

A vital factor in us progressing is cleaning out dead wood that is going to cost our youngsters valuable games in 2025.

Please please please … we need to delist Macca and Pickett. If either of those guys are commanding a wing spot with players like Smith, Banks, Hugo or our new elite draftees playing VFL or as the sub I’ll fair dinkum spew up. Next year has to be wholly focussed on 2026-2030, which means getting as many games as possible into all of our youngsters in 2025.

We need to be one of the youngest lists in 2025, not mid-table or even at the higher end. There’s no time to waste.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I’d go for a mass cull. I’d hesitate delisting any young kids even if they are shit. You never know who could improve. I’d only delist kids if we need space to bring in other kids from the draft.

So I’m happy with Cumbo still on the 2025 list of there is space.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 4 Areas Richmond Should Find Improvement in 2025, All Being Equal...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back