4 axed for 3rd test

Remove this Banner Ad

For those here critising Arthur may I ask you 1 thing. Why is he the coach? To coach? Absolutely not, these are international cricketers. His role is to facilitate the players and their games. So we are critising him for getting players to think about how them and the team failed?

He is the coach just as any other professional coach is there. 95% of it is to motivate. Clearly he is NOT motivating this team.

"Coaches who can outline plays on a blackboard are a dime a dozen. The coaches who win are the ones who can motivate their players." - Vince Lombardi

"Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it." - Lou Holtz

He is the coach just as any other professional coach is there. 95% of it is to motivate. Clearly he is NOT motivating this team.
I've heard this argument before. It's bullshit.

It's up to the players to motivate themselves. If they can't do that, they can **** off.

I've heard this argument before. It's bullshit.

It's up to the players to motivate themselves. If they can't do that, they can **** off.

You're right and Vince Lombardi, recognized as one of, if not the greatest sporting coach of all time, is dead wrong.

So is Lou Holtz, Phil Jackson, Gregg Popovich, David Parkin, Mick Malthouse, etc, etc.

You're right and Vince Lombardi, recognized as one of, if not the greatest sporting coach of all time is dead wrong.
Tell me why professional sportsmen need motivating by a third party.

Tell me why professional sportsmen need motivating by a third party.

I think you're confusing individual motivation and team motivation. Two completely different things.

This is ridiculous.

If you're going to ask for insight, actually make them write a paper about it. What is really going to be learnt in a text message? The informal frivolity of the exercise is hardly going to garner much credibility with the players.

Johnson should have just replied in text "I didn't play LOL!".

Agreed with those suggesting the punishment doesn't fit the crime.

These guys are just scapegoats in a heavy-handed show of power.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you're confusing individual motivation and team motivation. Two completely different things.
I'm not confusing anything.

The argument that a professional sportsman needs motivating on any level is rubbish.

If he can't find the motivation from within he shouldn't be there.

We'll just have to disagree.

This just goes to show, picking a guy again who has not improved one aspect of his game after you've dropped him is a dumb move. Perhaps the next time they pick Usman he will have actually tried to improve

Usman ran over your dog didn't he?

Whilst I think it's pretty lazy not to get something so simple done over the course of six days...I have to question the task as well. I mean, there's a difference between a task that actually adds value to your team and truly adds to performance overall...and there are tasks that seem more like masturbatory wank-jobs for the task-givers (the administrators, etc in this case).

At the moment, I'm leaning towards the latter.

And meanwhile, just a short 747 ride away from India, Bangladesh has just racked up 630 against Herath, Mendis and Matthews.... (admittedly on a road)
And a bit further away, New Zealand racked up 460 after bowling out the Poms for just 167.

Right now, we are indeed the laughing stock of the cricket world.

Most of us here could jot down in ten minutes a list of suggestions in point form as to how the side could possibly improve its performance. And we are not even there.

And yet these clowns couldn't do it in a week or so.

When you're getting flogged, though, it's so easy for off-field discipline and professionalism to fall by the wayside. Remember Jimmy Anderson admitting he and his team went out on the piss all the time during their 2006-7 Ashes flogging, which of course only made them play even worse.....

I agree the punishment is severe but I kinda sorta understand the message that is being sent.

If they were getting pissed, I'd agree with you.

But an email or an essay about 4 things they brought to the team?

**** off.

5-days for a 3-point assignment?
Maybe Mickey should have said 20 minutes and he would have gotten it .. after all everybody loves T20 over a 5-day tests

Crashed his plane into my house

Nah look, the guy has got great talent. But it became increasingly clear that he is lazy as ****, and he should hardly be rewarded for it. particularly given he hardly gets away with it on the pitch anyway.

10 years ago, you'd get Ponting or Langer or Waugh or Hayden or Gilly to take him under their wing and teach him what it takes to be a Test player - who is doing that now?

What was Hughes reported to have written?

And where is the Captain in all of this?

And meanwhile, just a short 747 ride away from India, Bangladesh has just racked up 630 against Herath, Mendis and Matthews.... (admittedly on a road)
And a bit further away, New Zealand racked up 460 after bowling out the Poms for just 167.

Right now, we are indeed the laughing stock of the cricket world.
Surely Sri Lanka are. Giving up 600+ at home against the Bangas take some beating. We're certainly more than just a support act at the Comedy Store though.

Remove this Banner Ad

4 axed for 3rd test

Remove this Banner Ad

Back