Player Watch #4 Dustin Martin is the GOAT and King of Punt Rd.

Remove this Banner Ad

My heart says I want him to stay as a one club player.
but my head says it's hurting our club honestly if he stays on the list another year, I don't want another year of this.
good point..
not much will change next year (either with us or G.C) the same body breaking down and the same Dusty circus rolling on.
a decision would have to be imminent in a week or 2, one would think

Couldn’t give a rats about the media frenzy. Refuse to give it oxygen. Let them blah blah. How many said he was definitely retiring after 300? NFI
Would love Dusty to get his body right and play for us next year. That’s all I care about.
As we’ve seen with a number of our aging Premiership heroes, it doesn’t work like that.
34 next year, he’s not turning the clock back.

Like too many of our players - struggling to get their bodies right. I’m his case, for a number of years he has struggled with injury. At the moment a back injury. No doubt his age makes each injury harder to recover. Must have an impact on his motivation after so many set backs for someone who has done it all.
Could still be an important player for us if fit.
Hard to know if a better fitness and conditioning would make a difference.
But probably feels like it’s time for the great man to hang up his boots.
Murphy’s Law -he moves to GC , we get 3rd round compo and we have to watch as he regains fitness and kicks them into the finals for the first time.

As we’ve seen with a number of our aging Premiership heroes, it doesn’t work like that.
34 next year, he’s not turning the clock back.

Who said clock back?
If he gets fully fit he could do massive damage in a good side. Looks bad playing forward in a shit side… no surprise.

Don't agree much with Cornes , but his 💯 right. Poorly on him and especially poorly on our football department. Standards dropped bigtime.

Lol Cornes thinking he knows better than an AFL coach and Dustin Martin.

Richmond are trying to get a very early draft pick here. That is their priority and everyone including Cornes knows it.

I seem to recall Cornes carrying on about standards when May had 1 beer in the middle of the day when out with a long term injury in 2019. 2 years later flag with May one of the leaders.

Dusty has always switched on fully when the stakes are high. Last person Richmond would need to worry about.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dusty probably could have re-signed with us at the start of the year for 2 years at 700k.

Ralphy & Dusty have really back themselves into a corner now that's the risk you take when you at 33+ and don't re-sign at the start of the year & you drop off. he won't get anywhere near that if he stays & I doubt another club like Gold Coast would pay that.

As the season has gone on even Blair Hartley & the powers to be would now be questioning whether we would re-sign him.
We look a better side without him now.

Who said clock back?
If he gets fully fit he could do massive damage in a good side. Looks bad playing forward in a shit side… no surprise.
Can’t agree, he’s cooked.

Very hard for a guy his age to get the fitness level you refer to, his body won’t allow it. You push yourself to those levels you break down with soft tissue injuries.
Particularly for a power athlete like Dusty.

You’ve also got to remember he had what was nearly a career ending injury in 21, that’s had a huge impact on him and he’s never really been the same player since.

He Man Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Stick a fork in him, Dusty done!

Say what you will but when the young cubs needed him most he wasn’t there. Cornes is right about him and Yze. I could give a **** about his 3 Norm Smiths when you can pick and choose when you want to play. Might not be close to Adem but has treated him and the club like shit this season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #4 Dustin Martin is the GOAT and King of Punt Rd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back