Player Watch #4 Dustin Martin

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting assessment by Leigh Matthews:

He's trying (God only knows why) to change the narrative of 3 Norm Smiths into..."only 3 games out of 300". Lost a lot of respect for Lethal right there.
Dusty absolutely dominated entire finals series. Dominated.
Dangerfield is a strong impactful player but went totally missing when it counted, especially against us. One could argue that if the games were reversed i.e. Danger played as well as Dusty and vice versa, Geelong may in fact have won 3 flags over the journey. But he didn't. He went almost statless when the game was on the line. Dusty dominated.
I just can't handle that shit from Matthews...especially this week.

Dusty might not be the GOAT when it comes to week to week games like GAJ.

However when it comes to the big games, finals…the moments that actually matter.

Dusty is the undisputed number 1 when it comes to unleashing maximum impact on a game, on the scoreboard and for his team to a devastating effect.

3 flags, 3 norms and countless finals where he’s been BOG by a mile.

WGAF what the media pretenders say. The guys got lifelong teammates, adoring fans and a trophy cabinet that’s bigger than some clubs entire existence. I wouldn’t trade it for any other career in the league Dusty.

Enjoy your 300th on your terms legend ⚫🟡🐯

He's trying (God only knows why) to change the narrative of 3 Norm Smiths into..."only 3 games out of 300". Lost a lot of respect for Lethal right there.
Dangerfield is a strong impactful player but went totally missing when it counted, especially against us. One could argue that if the games were reversed i.e. Danger played as well as Dusty and vice versa, Geelong may in fact have won 3 flags over the journey. But he didn't. He went almost statless when the game was on the line. Dusty dominated.
Cometh the hour, cometh the man!!

Thank the Good Lord Melbourne saw fit to bypass twice, and Francis Jackson resisted Sydney's 2 x picks inside 10 for our pick 3.

There is a God.

Dusty was drafted to a laughing stock of a club… rejected extra millions to remain a Tiger …turned them into a dynasty team after 2 x winning finals in the previous 35 years . But but but the media says ……. What about leadership …..

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It is a team game, but as basketballers or Shaq would say Dusty was driving the bus in the Tigers premierships

I do not know Dusty, never met him, what is going on in his mind. Don't know and it is none of my business.

But he looks as though he likes to play footy.

What I do think is I think potentially RFC could really rise in 2026 potentially in terms of real contention with a few shifts here and there. Dusty could be a part of that, Dusty could be a even bigger Tigers legend even if not at his peak, and Dusty can still contribute meaningfully so if it means we show flexibility to help Dusty to 2026 with us why not??

If Dusty is part of a 2026 Tigers premiership, he is not a legend, he is a god!!

If Dusty left and played on elsewhere he would have to meet some expectations.

At Tigerland, there are still expectations but he has serious credits in the bank. He could take the rest of this year off for all I care and things are familiar and comfortable where Dusty would have a little wriggle room one would suspect

RFC is about premioerships and Dusty is a big part of that!!!

The other thing is if he went to another club it would be a transaction, he would be compared to a transaction, if he stayed at Tigerland at worst he he would be regarded as part of a relationship and furniture, at best core to our fabric and growth and success let alone history

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For those now aware, there’s a Dustin Martin documentary in the works called Gold Dust, with footage dating back to 2017!!

Not sure when it’ll be released (I assume soon after he retires), but it’s being done by Richard Lowenstein who did the Michael Hutchence doco - (gets 100% on Rotten Tomatoes). This is thanks to Ralph Carr’s contacts:

I hope it’s a 6-part doco …. :

Episode 1: Talk about his junior career and being drafted to a rabble:

Episode 2: Talk about his off field struggles and 3 x losing EF’s, and being labeled a ‘waddler’ by Dermie.

Episode 3: Contract talks with Norf and him rejecting them and leading us to first flag.

Episode 4: The let down of 2018, his PF injury, then Rance going down R1 of 2019 and the Tiger ‘era’ declared over.

Episode 5: 2019/20 back to back against all the odds.

Episode 6: His injuries, Dad’s passing, personal struggles and eventual graduation to 35yo statesman winning his 4th NS in the 2026 GF before announcing his retirement.

This doco can’t come quick enough! Gonna be epic with Lowenstein taking the reins and Carr in charge. Genuine Tiger pr0n!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Cometh the hour, cometh the man!!

Thank the Good Lord Melbourne saw fit to bypass twice, and Francis Jackson resisted Sydney's 2 x picks inside 10 for our pick 3.

There is a God.
'resists' implies that there was some allure.

FJ is a humble guy, him saying he never considered the trade is not overstating. No doubt in my mind he would've selected Martin at pick 1.

Saw the media teams doco on Dusty at the club tonight. It’s awesome.

One thing I didn’t realise about the great man as told by Ralph Carr was that at the end of 2016, he was at a ?function with Ralph and had just met with Josh Caddy. At this event Dusty just let out that “Richmond will win the flag in 2017”. Carr asked him why he said that and he said because we are going to win it. He was certain. Unbelievable faith at that point.

1718115564529.png

Francis Bourke shook Dustin Martin’s hand firmly. “Good to see you,” said Dusty to the Richmond legend, in an exchange that bridged two great dynasties and 59 years.

Bourke, who played exactly 300 games for the Tigers and was a cornerstone in five premierships, was seated to Martin’s left, below Dusty’s fellow 300-gamers and triple-flag teammates Jack Riewoldt, Trent Cotchin and Shane Edwards, who stood at the back.

Sitting at the other end, underneath the statue of the great Jack Dyer – the club’s only other 300-game player – was another hallowed Richmond figure, Kevin Bartlett, who played 403 games for the Tigers and in the same five premierships as Bourke.

Richmond Football Club’s 300-gamers, from left to right: Kevin Bartlett, [PLAYERCARD]Shane Edwards[/PLAYERCARD], [PLAYERCARD]Trent Cotchin[/PLAYERCARD], Dustin Martin, Jack Riewoldt and Francis Bourke.

Richmond Football Club’s 300-gamers, from left to right: Kevin Bartlett, Shane Edwards, Trent Cotchin, Dustin Martin, Jack Riewoldt and Francis Bourke.CREDIT:MICHAEL WILLSON/AFL PHOTOS

Richmond had persuaded all five living 300-gamers to assemble in commemoration of Dusty’s upcoming milestone against the Hawks, in what was a convivial gathering of Richmond peers, more than a week before Dusty’s 300th.

The photographer/director, the accomplished Michael Willson, has more experience of dealing with the game’s answer to a silent movie star than nearly any other media figure, since Dusty is willing to be photographed, but not interviewed. “I got a lot more frames from Dusty than I usually get,” said Willson.

Martin’s mood seemed light, and his body language and banter bespoke comfort with his multi-generational peers and teammates. This journalist, who had been around long enough to know Bartlett and Bourke – and even to have seen them play – knew that he could speak only to those surrounding Dusty, the supporting cast, and not to the protagonist. No fend-off was necessary.

Dusty followed Willson’s directions to the letter, without objection. In the first collection of photos, Martin and the five legends were stationed outside Richmond’s headquarters, the Swinburne Centre at Punt Road. Symbolically, Cotchin leaned his left arm on the right shoulder of Dusty, who casually held the footy in his left hand.

Then, we went up into the rickety wooden Jack Dyer Stand where Martin sat at the front, fittingly flanked by the others. Edwards rubbed Dusty’s shoulders affectionately. Smiles were universal.

[PLAYERCARD]Trent Cotchin[/PLAYERCARD], Dustin Martin, Jack Riewoldt and [PLAYERCARD]Shane Edwards[/PLAYERCARD] won three premierships together for the yellow and black.

Trent Cotchin, Dustin Martin, Jack Riewoldt and Shane Edwards won three premierships together for the yellow and black.CREDIT:MICHAEL WILLSON/AFL PHOTOS

He briefly posed, too, with only his three 300-game teammates in the Dyer stand. At Willson’s suggestion, Martin, the only active footballer of the group, had clasped a footy for each set of pics.

Martin’s unique stature, mystique and place in the game invited the question – posed on this day to his teammates, Bartlett and Bourke – of what differentiated Dusty from other players.

For Cotchin, his skipper in those three premierships, the defining Dusty trait was that he took charge in key moments.
“I don’t think there’s been anyone who’s changed the game, more often, in a moment, than Duz,” said Cotchin, who will be at the MCG on Saturday for the occasion.

“I mean, I’ve been fortunate to play with seriously gifted players, but the momentary stuff’s probably what encapsulates his brilliance.

“I think he’s still Richmond’s number one inside-50 retention (of possession) player, so yeah, phenomenal. Like, we’ve had front-row seats for a long time as well.”

Edwards, who is working for the Crows in recruiting and was allowed to take a day off for the Dusty shoot, observed that Martin’s physical gifts – and a football mind nonpareil – made him unique.

“I’ve probably never seen someone so agile at his weight before, he’s got an amazing low centre of gravity for his height as well. And he has much better endurance than people probably give him credit for.

“So he’s the whole package, but his brain is probably his biggest asset. He’s probably the smartest player I’ve ever played with ... he sees the game on another level and every touch he gets he’s trying to get the team a goal. There’s no padding to what he does. Everything is high damage, and he gets a lot of it in almost any situation in the front half.”

Edwards, notably, spoke of Martin in the present tense – what he is – and went so far as to call Dusty Richmond’s safety blanket and a source of reassurance for the team. “There was some element to hanging in there as a team, making the game as even as possible knowing we’ve got this guy in our front half that can take us over the line and lifts in the biggest moments. He’s somewhat of a safety blanket, and he relieved a lot of anxiety for us other players.”

Bourke, who was known as “Saint Francis” for his selfless modesty, reflected those values when he focused on Dusty’s unselfish ball use while marvelling at Martin’s apotheosis in 2017, when he won the Brownlow Medal and Norm Smith Medal, and destroyed each final.

“His ability to create opportunities for others by his wonderful disposal, his uncanny ability to handle the ball cleanly under pressure,” Bourke said, when asked about Martin at the shoot, where he was accompanied by his wife Kerry.

“I might be saying this in reverse, but he stood up in big games, big occasions. You suspected that the bigger the occasion, the better that Dustin seemed to be able to respond to the challenges.

“In 2017, I just thought that he was God – you know, the way he played the big games ... how he handled the ball.”

Bourke could not recall another like Dusty. “But there’s no question that he was the difference in 2017 and also in that grand final against Geelong (2020) ... he was the difference between us winning and losing.”

I asked Bourke to compare Dusty to another game-turner of his era, centre half-forward Royce Hart. They’re different styles of players.

“Royce was very different ... Royce played on sheer brilliance. Dustin, he did too, but he shared the ball very unselfishly. He does it now, still ... I take my hat off to him.”

Bartlett’s first comment was also that Martin had been “fantastic in the finals and grand finals” – Dusty being the only footballer to win three Norm Smith Medals – while he had been a consistent performer throughout his career.

“[He] came along at a time when the Tigers’ supporter base needed new heroes and new people to follow,” said “KB”, whose son Rhett accompanied him and held two roles – Bartlett’s support, and Richmond Football Club historian.

“Because in the past, there was such a big break from, say, 1980 ’til they won in 2017 that a lot of generations could only look at old movies, videos ... you want to feel and you want to touch your heroes.”

Edwards focused on Dusty’s mind and physical assets, Bourke on his values and worth to the team, Cotchin on ownership of moments. Bartlett noted Martin’s signature talent, which has been emulated by a young Eagle named Harley Reid.

“Hard to tackle ... he’s had that ability to shrug the shoulders, break the tackles, push off opponents, which has made him very, very difficult to tackle and to hold. He’s done a lot of great things by breaking tackles and kicking important goals,” he said.

Right up to the weekend of his 300th game, Dustin Martin remains elusive – in every sense. His next step is unknown.

Ahead of his 300th game in the yellow and black, another Tigers legend has implored Dustin Martin to not make a move after 2024, declaring loyalty is in his nature.

Richmond legend Royce Hart has made a passionate plea to his fellow Tigers’ No. 4 great Dustin Martin to remain a one-club player and reject offers of a fresh start elsewhere.
As Martin prepares to play his 300th AFL game against Hawthorn at the MCG on Saturday, there is uncertainty about what the Tigers superstar will do once his seismic seven-year deal concludes at the end of this season.
The deal, signed just before the Tigers’ drought-breaking 2017 flag, helped the club go on to a dynasty of three premierships across four seasons.
But there has been speculation on whether the soon-to-be 33-year-old could retire from the game, or be courted by a rival club in the hunt for a fourth flag, potentially from Gold Coast or even Sydney.
But Hart has cautioned Martin about what a potential move might mean, imploring the reclusive midfield/forward to remain where he is comfortable at Punt Rd and to help drive the young Tigers to create a new storyline in the future.
With the Tigers battling, Martin’s future is in question. (Photo by Graham Denholm/Getty Images)

With the Tigers battling, Martin’s future is in question. (Photo by Graham Denholm/Getty Images)
“I want him to be a one-club player, that’s what I would say to Dusty,” Hart told this masthead. “It (loyalty) is in his nature.”
“I have never met him (face-to-face), but he looks like a guy who would be happy to stay.
“I reckon if he decided to go to another club, he would feel totally out of place and it wouldn’t be good for him. He doesn’t need to be doing new things, he needs to stay where he is.”
Martin almost left for North Melbourne when it offered him the biggest contract in football in late 2017, but just when most of those closest to him at the club feared he was leaving, he changed his mind and recommitted to Richmond for seven more seasons.
“He might go for the money, but I doubt it,” Hart said. “He doesn’t seem like that is the thing that drives him. He’s been on good money anyway.”
“He looks like he is helping out the young kids (at Richmond). I would love to see him stay and help them out for a few more years. He might not win another flag (in his time left), but he can help the young boys get better.
“They (Richmond) went 37 years without winning a flag and hopefully we don’t have to wait another 37 years for the next one.
Hart lives in Hobart and will watch Martin’s 300th game on television. He has never met him face-to-face, but says he will always feel connected to him by the famous No. 4 jumper they both wore.
Martin with fellow Richmond 300 game players , Kevin Bartlett, [PLAYERCARD]Shane Edwards[/PLAYERCARD], [PLAYERCARD]Trent Cotchin[/PLAYERCARD], Jack Riewoldt and Francis Bourke. Picture: Michael Willson

Martin with fellow Richmond 300 game players , Kevin Bartlett, Shane Edwards, Trent Cotchin, Jack Riewoldt and Francis Bourke. Picture: Michael Willson
Hart was one of Richmond’s greatest footballers in a career spanning 187 games, four premierships (two as captain), two best and fairests and selection as centre half forward in the AFL team of the century.
He was elevated to a legend in the Australian Football Hall of Fame in 2013 – an honour that could yet be Martin in the years ahead.
Hart says Martin still has a few seasons left in him and reckons he could slot into a centre half-forward or deep forward role in the years ahead.

More Coverage​

Revealed: Swans’ audacious ploy to pinch Dusty from Tigers
“He is the same height as me (187cm), so I reckon he could play centre half forward in the future,” Hart said.
“He’s just been a terrific player for Richmond. He would have to be in consideration (as one of the club’s greatest players). ‘
“His ability to win the ball and finish off is incredible. Most of his disposals are to the benefit of the team. He brings other players into the game because of his talent to get the ball and his talent to get rid of it to the advantage of the side.”

louie matthews who absolutely loves himself and eats his own farts with a shite eating grin obviously thinks his reputation will be tarnished by dusty being a bigger figure in the game (which he is)

louie matthews who absolutely loves himself and eats his own farts with a shite eating grin obviously thinks his reputation will be tarnished by dusty being a bigger figure in the game (which he is)
I beat him in a game of pool when I was 12. Don't know what all the fuss about him was 🤣

'resists' implies that there was some allure.

FJ is a humble guy, him saying he never considered the trade is not overstating. No doubt in my mind he would've selected Martin at pick 1.
We're getting into semantics now.

My understanding is Sydney offered Richmond 2 picks inside 10 for Richmond's pick 3. There's your allure.

I agree, however, I think FJ would've taken Dusty at 1 if that was our pick.

Ahead of his 300th game in the yellow and black, another Tigers legend has implored Dustin Martin to not make a move after 2024, declaring loyalty is in his nature.

Richmond legend Royce Hart has made a passionate plea to his fellow Tigers’ No. 4 great Dustin Martin to remain a one-club player and reject offers of a fresh start elsewhere.
As Martin prepares to play his 300th AFL game against Hawthorn at the MCG on Saturday, there is uncertainty about what the Tigers superstar will do once his seismic seven-year deal concludes at the end of this season.
The deal, signed just before the Tigers’ drought-breaking 2017 flag, helped the club go on to a dynasty of three premierships across four seasons.
But there has been speculation on whether the soon-to-be 33-year-old could retire from the game, or be courted by a rival club in the hunt for a fourth flag, potentially from Gold Coast or even Sydney.
But Hart has cautioned Martin about what a potential move might mean, imploring the reclusive midfield/forward to remain where he is comfortable at Punt Rd and to help drive the young Tigers to create a new storyline in the future.

“I want him to be a one-club player, that’s what I would say to Dusty,” Hart told this masthead. “It (loyalty) is in his nature.”
“I have never met him (face-to-face), but he looks like a guy who would be happy to stay.
“I reckon if he decided to go to another club, he would feel totally out of place and it wouldn’t be good for him. He doesn’t need to be doing new things, he needs to stay where he is.”
Martin almost left for North Melbourne when it offered him the biggest contract in football in late 2017, but just when most of those closest to him at the club feared he was leaving, he changed his mind and recommitted to Richmond for seven more seasons.
“He might go for the money, but I doubt it,” Hart said. “He doesn’t seem like that is the thing that drives him. He’s been on good money anyway.”
“He looks like he is helping out the young kids (at Richmond). I would love to see him stay and help them out for a few more years. He might not win another flag (in his time left), but he can help the young boys get better.
“They (Richmond) went 37 years without winning a flag and hopefully we don’t have to wait another 37 years for the next one.
Hart lives in Hobart and will watch Martin’s 300th game on television. He has never met him face-to-face, but says he will always feel connected to him by the famous No. 4 jumper they both wore.
Martin with fellow Richmond 300 game players , Kevin Bartlett, Shane Edwards, Trent Cotchin, Jack Riewoldt and Francis Bourke. Picture: Michael Willson

Hart was one of Richmond’s greatest footballers in a career spanning 187 games, four premierships (two as captain), two best and fairests and selection as centre half forward in the AFL team of the century.
He was elevated to a legend in the Australian Football Hall of Fame in 2013 – an honour that could yet be Martin in the years ahead.
Hart says Martin still has a few seasons left in him and reckons he could slot into a centre half-forward or deep forward role in the years ahead.

More Coverage​

Revealed: Swans’ audacious ploy to pinch Dusty from Tigers
“He is the same height as me (187cm), so I reckon he could play centre half forward in the future,” Hart said.
“He’s just been a terrific player for Richmond. He would have to be in consideration (as one of the club’s greatest players). ‘
“His ability to win the ball and finish off is incredible. Most of his disposals are to the benefit of the team. He brings other players into the game because of his talent to get the ball and his talent to get rid of it to the advantage of the side.”
Does Royce not go to the club anymore? Odd that he's never met Dusty.

Does Royce not go to the club anymore? Odd that he's never met Dusty.
Health issues with Royce.Can barely walk.
Agree abit odd that we haven't arranged for Dusty to meet Royce when playing down in Tassie.

Remember when he got charged by the police when he belted Neville Bruns?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back