Opinion 4 Flag in a Row under Massive Threat

Remove this Banner Ad

The system was constructed so this couldn't happen. However, just as Brisbane benefitted from the folding of Fitzroy, Hawthorn has been the biggest beneficiary of Free Agency.

It's not right. You feel for a club like Adelaide who have had the eyes picked out of them.

Teams need to start matching offers to force trades atm clubs are all to happy to just take the pick.

Teams need to start matching offers to force trades atm clubs are all to happy to just take the pick.

Yes, the system is fundamentally flawed. The compensation system is a major component of why this system isn't working as was intended. Although, I don't think I have ever seen an AFL rule change that worked how it was intended - the kings of knee jerk reactions with half thought out rule changes.

The system was constructed so this couldn't happen. However, just as Brisbane benefitted from the folding of Fitzroy, Hawthorn has been the biggest beneficiary of Free Agency.

It's not right. You feel for a club like Adelaide who have had the eyes picked out of them.
I'm not even sure they have been that active in free agency. They have recruited well and traded well. Free agency they have probably been punished by more than benefitting. Losing Buddy alone! Gaining Frawley? Lake was a trade. Gunston a trade, Burgoyne a trade...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm not even sure they have been that active in free agency. They have recruited well and traded well. Free agency they have probably been punished by more than benefitting. Losing Buddy alone! Gaining Frawley? Lake was a trade. Gunston a trade, Burgoyne a trade...

Maybe my memory fails me. Was Frawley the only free agent?

They have traded very well then.

Yeah they really have traded well. I'd say they are net losers of free agency. But they have more than made up for it with drafting and trading. I even think Gibson was a trade.

This may sound silly but the Melbourne side of the 50's was far more dominant than this Hawks side. We stopped them then and just maybe we'll be required to do it again! Great motivation for our young side...teach them their history Bucks.

Meh. They scraped by first part of the season. Same with finals. A few convincing wins but not overall season. Cracks have appeared and will only grow bigger. Still gotta hand it to them, they stood up when it counted

Lol, it's a good thing this thread wasn't created a year before the Hawks made the 2016 grand final, otherwise it might seem that some were freaking out a bit early :p

Seriously, even if the Hawks were the greatest team in history (stats say they are not), they're still statistically unlikely (<50% chance) to win next year's premiership. Why spend a year worrying about it :)

As a football fan, I have a lot of appreciation for Hawthorn. I've never seen a side possessed of a single-mindedness like they are. If you want to see it clear as day, watch the first quarter of their semi-final against Adelaide. There was a turnover up the ground, and Breust and Puopolo were streaming into the forward 50 from the wing.
3KEhzFq.png

Now, Puopolo is pushing deep towards the square, which simultaneously creates space for Breust to push into, and allows Hill the option of two targets inside 50. The result, is Breust doubles back into the space Puopolo created by isolating his man deep in the F50. Puopolo's man can't just zone off and stop Breust because Hill is in position where he can feasibly pass long to Puopolo if he did so. The result:
IqKZNMT.png

The synergy between their forwards is beautiful; how they isolate the defenders, make space for each other, and how the guys up the ground are getting entries in positions that facilitates the whole process.

They're very efficient with their players, which is massive in the current strategic climate. They aren't a dominant centre clearance side, but that doesn't affect their results because you'll never see two Hawks go to tackle the same player. They retain their structure, and force you back from the centre clearance towards your D50, so that when you do get the clearance, it's only going to the edge of the centre square where their defenders and waiting. You'll never see two Hawks fly for the same ball; Roughead isn't a dominant contested mark, but that's fine because he often flies with the sole intention of knocking it onto the waiting Breust. Then watch how Adelaide will make space for the Hawks by having two players doing the same thing. The level of organisation the Hawks have is unreal.

I know it's an unpopular opinion, but I find them a joy to watch. I couldn't care less about what we achieved 85 years ago to be honest. I don't want to support a club that clings to past glories, leave that to Carlton. If Hawthorn break our record, I expect the only thought going through Buckley and Eddies minds to be "how can we five-peat?".

Last edited:
Not sure why I know some Collingwood fans that wanted Hawthorn to win. They are only now 2 premierships behind us, and are closing fast.

As for Hawthorn being assured to win it next year, be more cautious. I agree, I can't see who'll beat them next year.
However, I remember back after the 2010 win, after thrashing the next 2 best teams in Geelong and St Kilda, I couldn't possibly see who was going to even stand a chance against us in 2011. I thought us winning the 2011 premiership was a formality, and just going to happen. Obviously didn't see a Geelong with a new coach and new, superior game plan coming...
You sometimes don't know what's around the corner.
Port have proven they can beat Hawks, especially if they get their crap together next year.

They're very efficient with their players, which is massive in the current strategic climate. They aren't a dominant centre clearance side, but that doesn't affect their results because you'll never see two Hawks go to tackle the same player.

This is in stark contrast to our strategy where we seem to throw everything and everybody at the ball carrier. Sometimes it works like a pack of seagulls attacking Greasy Joes' minimum chips. But if the ball carrier can get it out - then the opposition are away.

You'll never see two Hawks fly for the same ball;

Again, this is something we need to work on. I reckon we were doing OK at this early in the season - Blair in particular was in career best form with his crumbing.

But as the year went on we seemed to regress back to old habits.

I couldn't care less about what we achieved 85 years ago to be honest. I don't want to support a club that clings to past glories, leave that to Carlton.

Hear hear!!

If Hawthorn break our record, I expect the only thought going through Buckley and Eddies minds to be "how can we five-peat?".

Absolutely!

Fifteen years ago Eddie took a punt on dragging this club out of its past and creating a new and bright future.

The future can be exciting if we let it be ...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well Bloody Hawthorn going to win another Bloody Flag. 3 in a Row and I can easily see them winning next years Flag.

I know some Disagree with that but I Struggle find another team next year that be Better then Hawks.

THANK CHRIST THE SWANS WON THE 2013 Flag

Who cares?

Not sure why I know some Collingwood fans that wanted Hawthorn to win. They are only now 2 premierships behind us, and are closing fast.

As for Hawthorn being assured to win it next year, be more cautious. I agree, I can't see who'll beat them next year.
However, I remember back after the 2010 win, after thrashing the next 2 best teams in Geelong and St Kilda, I couldn't possibly see who was going to even stand a chance against us in 2011. I thought us winning the 2011 premiership was a formality, and just going to happen. Obviously didn't see a Geelong with a new coach and new, superior game plan coming...
You sometimes don't know what's around the corner.
Port have proven they can beat Hawks, especially if they get their crap together next year.
West Coast 2016, Brown and McKenzie back means McGovern can swing forward. They will be hard to stop

Hawthorne's defence was huge today led by Frawley, Lake and Gibson, their rucks were very good in McEvoy and Hale.

Gunston and Burgoyne were also very good.

My point is none of the seven players above were originally drafted by the hawks but were bought with the promise of a premiership medallion.

We however after 2010 have lost a few all Australians due to salary cap restrictions and IIRC have not enticed one since.

Last edited:
Not sure why anyone is worried about Hawthorn equaling our four in a row record or our total premierships won. The FACT is that Hawthorn are and have been the best team of the last 50 years.....easily. They deserve to go past us in the record books and will probably do so.

Not sure why anyone is worried about Hawthorn equaling our four in a row record or our total premierships won. The FACT is that Hawthorn are and have been the best team of the last 50 years.....easily. They deserve to go past us in the record books and will probably do so.
Will be the biggest supported club too with the way they are going and their legion of fans through the south east of Melbourne.

Will be the biggest supported club too with the way they are going and their legion of fans through the south east of Melbourne.

Most likely. Pies need to lift.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion 4 Flag in a Row under Massive Threat

Remove this Banner Ad

Back