4 Weeks for Bumping Umpire

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by SomeCatsFan:
Just heard that the Western Bulldogs guy (I think it was Todd Curly) has been rubbed out for 4 weeks for intentionally bumping an umpire. Apparantly this was a leniant suspension given the charge.

Well i disagree with the decision, but boy its a good one for Port!!!! No Darcy or Curley this week

It did look a bit suss tho. Plus Curley didnt exactly seem to distressed about the free kick

[This message has been edited by Macca19 (edited 02 May 2001).]

If the umpire knew what the **** he was on about in the first place, he would have reported Curley right there and then. He doesn't even know the rules regarding contact with the umpires himself! How can the tribunal/umpires be taken seriously? And they think that they're unfairly criticised...

Rats Tossbag,
Given most neutral observations about the decision, would you think that Smorgon has justification in 'whinging' about it?

[This message has been edited by Westy Boy (edited 02 May 2001).]

I am an Eagles fan. And further, I hate the Bulldogs. But I think the decision is a disgrace. If you look at the vision the Umpire is stationary as the ball goes past. He then takes two steps back. Curley adjusts his line to this and then focuses on the Footy. The Umpire then steps forward into Curleys line.

The Tribunal said Curley was reckless bordering on deliberate. For a simple accident the guy gets 4 weeks. Both the Umpire and the Player were watching the Ball.

What is this game coming to?

I have no doubt the bump was accidental but it could be argued that it was reckless i.e he made no attempt to avoid collision when it appeared imminent (he actually dropped his shoulder).

I think 4 weeks is a reasonable for the Bulldogs-Compare that to 8 weeks for Greg Williams for a similar offence.

The umpires do have to be protected on the field, I guess it's just unfortunate for Curley that he got to be the scapegoat-I have seen three similar bumps/collisions with umpires this year, no frees or report.

------------------
Never a frown with gold and brown.

[This message has been edited by mick (edited 02 May 2001).]

[This message has been edited by mick (edited 02 May 2001).]

Originally posted by Westy Boy:
Rats Tossbag,
Given most neutral observations about the decision, would you think that Smorgon has justification in 'whinging' about it?

[This message has been edited by Westy Boy (edited 02 May 2001).][/B]

If you look at the footage in slow motion curly's eyes are on the ball to the right and the white maggot is on his left and a split second before he makes contact his head is still turned to the right watching the ball.
So yes I do agree he was ripped off big time he should not of even been reported at all.
I did not say he was guilty, I was just taking the piss out of Smorgon.

It's a joke....
frown.gif

Does mean Curley misses our clash though
wink.gif

So Todd Curley gets 4 weeks for bumping into a umpire during play,yet Fraser Gehrig decked an umpire last year or the year before at halftime [against the Bulldogs] and didn't get reported.

So next time Curley should deck an umpire and he'll have no case to answer.

------------------
"Kick the bloody thing"

Originally posted by SomeCatsFan:
Just heard that the Western Bulldogs guy (I think it was Todd Curly) has been rubbed out for 4 weeks for intentionally bumping an umpire. Apparantly this was a leniant suspension given the charge.
---------------------------------------------
Where did you hear that? (Intentionally)
The Tribunal ruled accidently.

------------------
Butcher Boy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

4 Weeks for Bumping Umpire

Remove this Banner Ad

Back