Fixture Week 1 AFL finals

Remove this Banner Ad

Tom Morris reporting the following on Footy Furnace after speaking to clubs:

Thursday night: Port Adelaide v Geelong
Friday night: Western Bulldogs v Hawthorn
Saturday afternoon: Sydney v GWS Giants
Saturday night: Brisbane v Carlton

Tom believes the Dogs are not happy and did not want to play Friday night because it clashes with their AFLW game.
That'd be right.

Last year 2v3 was played on Saturday night. And the Airport curfew meaning Port couldn't get back to Adelaide until Sunday. Giving them a less of recovery than ther ELimination Final winner they'd play the next week.

Now, with Aliir and Farrel's injuries, Port could benefit from playing the last game. Also being at home would remove the additional loss days loss because of travel.

So it'll be the first Final.

Also ****ing hate Thursday night games.

Same here. I had to cancel an event in 2017 because I wanted to watch Adelaide vs GWS because I know finals don't come around often. Silly Thursday games. Should have played it on Friday.

Good luck to everyone in 2024, it will be a great battle.

Hope GWS wins it.

Fixture coming out tomorrow morning????

FFS!!!!

Make it the same every year

1 - 1st vs 4th - Saturday Afternoon
2 - 2nd vs 3rd - Thursday Night
3 - 5th vs 8th - Saturday Night
4 - 6th vs 7th - Friday Night

5 - Loser of 1 vs Winner of 3 - Saturday Night
6 - Loser of 2 vs Winner of 4 - Friday Night

7 - Winner of 1 vs Winner of 6 - Friday Night
8 - Winner of 2 vs Winner of 5 - Saturday Twilight (Night if both teams are from the same state)

9 - Winner of 7 vs Winner of 8 - Saturday Afternoon

Only potential issue is that 1st/5th are from the same state? I'm sure there's solutions there to clear a stadium and get it going later that night. We've seen places like Staples Centre do that for an afternoon basketball into night hockey game before.

Tom Morris reporting the following on Footy Furnace after speaking to clubs:

Thursday night: Port Adelaide v Geelong
Friday night: Western Bulldogs v Hawthorn
Saturday afternoon: Sydney v GWS Giants
Saturday night: Brisbane v Carlton

Tom believes the Dogs are not happy and did not want to play Friday night because it clashes with their AFLW game.
The AFLW game is 5.05pm. Play it as a curtain raiser,

That'd be right.

Last year 2v3 was played on Saturday night. And the Airport curfew meaning Port couldn't get back to Adelaide until Sunday. Giving them a less of recovery than ther ELimination Final winner they'd play the next week.

Now, with Aliir and Farrel's injuries, Port could benefit from playing the last game. Also being at home would remove the additional loss days loss because of travel.

So it'll be the first Final.

Couldn’t agree more. AFL F*ck us again.

Last year 2v3 was Saturday night.

Ridiculous

Excuse my ignorance, a question about the finals system:

At this stage where no final has been played yet but the eight has been locked in, could you still get any grand final combination? Or have certain clubs already entered the 'other side' of the draw where they couldn't possibly meet in the grand final? I think this question is more relevant this year when anyone can realistically beat anyone on their day.

At this stage where no final has been played yet but the eight has been locked in, could you still get any grand final combination? Or have certain clubs already entered the 'other side' of the draw where they couldn't possibly meet in the grand final? I think this question is more relevant this year when anyone can realistically beat anyone on their day.
I think the answer to this is yes. After week 1 though certain combinations become impossible (I think)

The two elimination final combos (Brisbane/Carlton, Bulldogs/Hawks) couldn't meet on Grand Final day as one of each would have to be eliminated, but other than that at this stage any other combination is possible because each of the top 4 teams could end up on either "side" of the draw depending on if they win or lose first up. By week 2 the possibilities become much slimmer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FFS!!!!

8 - Winner of 2 vs Winner of 5 - Saturday Twilight (Night if both teams are from the same state)

Exactly. They’ve released the most equitable finals fixture for a change, where teams will be given the greatest turnarounds possible under the system, and some supporters in here are still crying. Shout out to Port supporters in particular, things they can’t control already living rent free in their heads.

And the Bulldogs? They’d be first to whinge if they had to play Saturday, won their final, and then play Friday the following week. Who gives about the AFLW?!!

FFS!!!!

Only potential issue is that 1st/5th are from the same state? I'm sure there's solutions there to clear a stadium and get it going later that night. We've seen places like Staples Centre do that for an afternoon basketball into night hockey game before.

Why would the AFL do something this sensible and transparent...then they can't script what they want....

1st v 4th is Saturday arvo so lower ranked teams play friday night. Joke
It’s actually the perfect finals fixture, you want 1v4 on Sat arvo so they have more rest than 5v8 on Sat night, and then assuming Sydney wins, they get the Friday night prelim.

No team gets a 6 day break, Qualifying finals teams get more rest, and the 1 seed gets the 8 day break before the GF

VFL administration in full flight. Swans finish top but relegated to a Saturday afternoon matinee performance.

Here I was paying out port supporters. Swans are joining the cry.

Besides GF is sat arvo. Would think if they’re going to make it, they get used to the time slot, given if they go straight through to prelim, that will be a Friday night.

But supporters are whinging that they’re not getting exposure. **** the victim mentality. There’s a premiership to win!

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Fixture Week 1 AFL finals

Remove this Banner Ad

Back