Fixture Week 1 AFL finals

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s actually the perfect finals fixture, you want 1v4 on Sat arvo so they have more rest than 5v8 on Sat night, and then assuming Sydney wins, they get the Friday night prelim.

No team gets a 6 day break, Qualifying finals teams get more rest, and the 1 seed gets the 8 day break before the GF
**** your logic, vicbias trumps all

Excuse my ignorance, a question about the finals system:

At this stage where no final has been played yet but the eight has been locked in, could you still get any grand final combination? Or have certain clubs already entered the 'other side' of the draw where they couldn't possibly meet in the grand final? I think this question is more relevant this year when anyone can realistically beat anyone on their day.
Pretty much.

Sadly hawthorn can't play the dogs in a grand final..

Sent from my SM-G990E using Tapatalk

It’s actually the perfect finals fixture, you want 1v4 on Sat arvo so they have more rest than 5v8 on Sat night, and then assuming Sydney wins, they get the Friday night prelim.

No team gets a 6 day break, Qualifying finals teams get more rest, and the 1 seed gets the 8 day break before the GF
"Nah its vicbias in full flight. It just has to be. It's part of my identity."

Sent from my SM-G990E using Tapatalk

Maybe. But they may flip week 3 as they have done many times.
If GWS and Port win, Port will expect the Friday prelim as the highest ranked team. And the AFL would rather GWS Sat twilight to avoid a clash with the NRL. So don’t be surprised if one team gets a six day break going into a prelim.

1st v 4th is Saturday arvo so lower ranked teams play friday night. Joke

I think they want to maximise night games at the MCG. It's all about crowds. I still think 90,000 or more will attend even on a Saturday afternoon, surely the weather will be better in 2 weeks time.

The Swans played the Giants on a Saturday afternoon QF back in 2016. 3:20PM
Saturday 4:20PM in 2018 EF.
Saturday 3:20PM in 2021 EF.

GWS won all games. The first 2 easily and held on for dear life in the 2021 EF by 1 point over a wasteful Swans (who kicked 2.7 in the fourth).

Maybe. But they may flip week 3 as they have done many times.
If GWS and Port win, Port will expect the Friday prelim as the highest ranked team. And the AFL would rather GWS Sat twilight to avoid a clash with the NRL. So don’t be surprised if one team gets a six day break going into a prelim.

Yep I am tipping GWS and Port to win.

Here I was paying out port supporters. Swans are joining the cry.

Besides GF is sat arvo. Would think if they’re going to make it, they get used to the time slot, given if they go straight through to prelim, that will be a Friday night.

But supporters are whinging that they’re not getting exposure. **** the victim mentality. There’s a premiership to win!

I dont have an issue with the time slot, however, its pretty obvious what the AFL are doing re: VFL clubs with their scheduling...

Excuse my ignorance, a question about the finals system:

At this stage where no final has been played yet but the eight has been locked in, could you still get any grand final combination? Or have certain clubs already entered the 'other side' of the draw where they couldn't possibly meet in the grand final? I think this question is more relevant this year when anyone can realistically beat anyone on their day.
Every GF combination except of course 5v8 and 6v7 is possible at this point.

Your never going to please everyone when it comes to finals fixturing.
I totally get the dogs frustration with their ALFW and clash with the Elimination final, but the end of the day TV rights trump all. Random, but wasn't it suppose to be that both QF games play first to allow for the extra day break for the looser or is that just a thing of the past?

Your never going to please everyone when it comes to finals fixturing.
I totally get the dogs frustration with their ALFW and clash with the Elimination final, but the end of the day TV rights trump all. Random, but wasn't it suppose to be that both QF games play first to allow for the extra day break for the looser or is that just a thing of the past?
No, but if it works out that way the AFL will claim it!

The only real restriction I remember was in the days of the Friday, Saturday Day, Saturday Night, Sunday day games: They had to ensure that a Friday and Sunday team would meet each other the next week.

Wish we still had the two day finals in week one, really like them. Especially as the weather is starting to pick up a bit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Incorrect.

The big cats v pies game was Saturday afternoon too. I think it's a good a timeslot as any.
Yeah but Vicbias

I find it funny people complaining about us getting the Friday night when we haven't had one in over 2 years. Also the entertainment that BT will provide having no clue who any of our players are

Yeah complaining about which timeslot you get is pathetic really.

Maybe there are some grounds for not wanting the Thursday night game as it's potentially harder to get to.

But really how about being excited that your team is in it.
As a fan I'm not too fussed when we play but I understand why our club would have preferred our first ever AFLW game at Whitten Oval not to clash with our final against the Hawks. Especially when the Swans wanted the Friday.

No troll, but can someone explain to me how Swans can play a team from their state at a smaller stadium (as opposed to Homebush) - but if Geelong hosts a final against a Vic team it’d have to be at the MCG?

Homebush (Olympic Stadium) has been reconfigured and it's the single worst stadium for AFL bar none, it's putrid.

As a fan I'm not too fussed when we play but I understand why our club would have preferred our first ever AFLW game at Whitten Oval not to clash with our final against the Hawks. Especially when the Swans wanted the Friday.
With Port v Geelong on Thursday this, I thought it was weird that Bulldogs were willing to compromise a finals campaign for it and risk a 6 day break the following week

Like they were going to factor in an AFLW game, really hope that wasn't your club's argument. The Dogs- Hawks was always going to be prime time at the MCG. Very happy we didn't get Friday, we need some practice in the afternoon anyway.

Like they were going to factor in an AFLW game, really hope that wasn't your club's argument. The Dogs- Hawks was always going to be prime time at the MCG. Very happy we didn't get Friday, we need some practice in the afternoon anyway.
I think the club just assumed that the AFL would take the womens league a little more seriously than they are. I understand it, but you're right, from an overall competition perspective Dogs/Hawks is the game.

I think the club just assumed that the AFL would take the womens league a little more seriously than they are. I understand it, but you're right, from an overall competition perspective Dogs/Hawks is the game.

If they took it seriously, have said this for a while, start it after the GF week, honestly didn't even know it started next week. This would eliminate any 'clashes' so to speak.

I think its a good argument to make - not because it had any real chance of affecting the decision, but it puts it out there that it matters to the Bulldogs and asks the AFL if it matters to them.

Isn't it rectangular now?

Basically has been brought in so it's better for NRL, it makes sense the big games there for that sport like Origin, grand finals, prelims, etc. It really was a shocking ground to watch AFL you were so far away and it felt like watching tiddlywinks on the ground. SCG is perfect every seat you feel close albeit its been years since I've sat right up the top. Swans members HATED Homebush, why we'd even want to move to a ground we haven't played at in years for a good reason is beyond me. One of the best finals for atmostphere was the Swans-Pies final at the SCG a few years ago. It was rocking.

Remove this Banner Ad

Fixture Week 1 AFL finals

Remove this Banner Ad

Back