Player Watch #40 Tyler Sonsie

Remove this Banner Ad

Lol

Did you not get enough of Dow in the midfield ? Sonsie, Dow, would be the worst midfield ever played in afl/vfl history.

This is the afl yeah? Not the dvfl. The coach has to make assemble a competitive team. Walsh, cripps vs. Dow and sonsie and Blight Miller end up with 15 kicked against them and we don't discover him.

Cannot sacrifice the team to cater to sonsie.

The young group of mids we have coming through are about as low as they get. I actually can't remember a time when the under 25 mids we had were as bad as this. Maybe early 2000s under Frawley? Always had a Free, Campbell, Coughlan, Deledio, Cotchin, Dusty - even Foley & Tuck's are too high of ceilings atm. We always had a young mid to get behind and hang some hope on. None of these guys strike me like any of the names above at the same age. It's hard to imagine having 30+ picks over the last 4 years and not even one rock solid young midfielder be found,

Lol

Did you not get enough of Dow in the midfield ? Sonsie, Dow, would be the worst midfield ever played in afl/vfl history.

This is the afl yeah? Not the dvfl. The coach has to make assemble a competitive team. Walsh, cripps vs. Dow and sonsie and Blight Miller end up with 15 kicked against them and we don't discover him.

Cannot sacrifice the team to cater to sonsie.
Who even mentioned Dow? He was out of the side? I don't know what you want dude. You called Sonsie a midfielder yourself.
Of course Walsh and Cripps destroy Dow and Sonsie... But that's never going to be what the comparison is lol. It's Walsh/Cripps v Taranto/Hopper. You are the definition of shifting the goal posts.
Sonsie is always going to be the 4th or 5th midfielder and would rotate in every now and then. That's all what most people want. Right now he is being played out of position and it's his first year in that position...ever.

We’re second last yeah? If north weren’t so putrid we’d be spooners. Can’t wait for that game, which shock horror is at marvel. We have four points and 3 percentage points on north.

We play three home games in our last 8 rounds. We can still win the wooden spoon comfortably.

What does it matter? Find out about some of these kids and give them a run. We have literally nothing to lose.

If Nth hadn't been robbed against the Pies we would be bottom. And they have had a couple of other close loses of late. They are starting to get some form, unless they deliberately tank, i think they will likely finish above us.

Their form is being formed by young players on the up, while ours is coming based on our oldest players still being our best. It's only a matter of time, unless some young kids really start to spark

The young group of mids we have coming through are about as low as they get. I actually can't remember a time when the under 25 mids we had were as bad as this. Maybe early 2000s under Frawley? Always had a Free, Campbell, Coughlan, Deledio, Cotchin, Dusty - even Foley & Tuck's are too high of ceilings atm. We always had a young mid to get behind and hang some hope on. None of these guys strike me like any of the names above at the same age. It's hard to imagine having 30+ picks over the last 4 years and not even one rock solid young midfielder be found,
Kmac 2 is going to be a jet so don’t panic and Sonsie don’t write him off yet as I think he will come good. MRJ could also pinch hit in the guts . Then our 31 first round picks we’re getting in the next two years😉 surely we’ll pick up another dozen star midfielders.
In all seriousness we just have to nail the drafts for at least two seasons and you never know.

Tend to agree you can't hang the guy when he isn't being played in the correct position. Why Dow is being persisted with is beyond me. Prefer to see if Sonsie needs replacing or has something when he plays the position he actually needs to.

We’re second last yeah? If north weren’t so putrid we’d be spooners. Can’t wait for that game, which shock horror is at marvel. We have four points and 3 percentage points on north.

We play three home games in our last 8 rounds. We can still win the wooden spoon comfortably.

What does it matter? Find out about some of these kids and give them a run. We have literally nothing to lose.
Like I said.

If we lose games by 120 points because we're playing Sonsie, Dow in the midfield. The morale at the club slowly slowly gets destroyed.

Need to sell hope. There's a balance between developing and being competitive. If Sonsie is good enough. He will make each spot his own. Rioli was an excellent small forward, now a premium half back runner.

I understand that he’s more of an outside midfielder but I do worry that he doesn’t crack in at all

I don’t think it’s a courage thing but more perhaps he’s been told that his role and adhering too it a little too exactly

Still I can understand why Dow has been preferred inside because Dow has no problems cracking in

Have a look at the footage of Baltas soccer style goal. This squib backs away from the contest when the ball comes out. The vision is compelling. heck him off while someone might still be interested
I noticed this as well. I have a question though, this has been a thing he has been doing since he has been in the forward line and you'd think that if the coaches are unhappy with this aspect of his game he would most likely be dropped or told to adjust the way he is playing. This hasn't been a one week thing, so I ask you, could it be direction rather than hesitancy/being soft?
I hate the look of it as well, but I've said this before, I've watched him play as an inside midfielder in the VFL and he isn't afraid of a contest.

So, I think before we start calling for his head, I'd look into it a bit more than fingernail deep and consider whether the coaches are instructing him to stay on the outside for the receive rather than jumping in when we have others that typically will jump in without thinking.
Typically, at a contest, you need representation both inside and outside.

I agree with you though, there are times he needs to put his head over it and the Balta goal was probably one of those times. He isn't getting dropped though so it isn't that straightforward I don't think.

Have a look at the footage of Baltas soccer style goal. This squib backs away from the contest when the ball comes out. The vision is compelling. heck him off while someone might still be interested
delisted in a few weeks

Would give him Dow's midfield minutes. See what we have there.
Not to mention he is a distinct point of difference to what we have currently, and I would argue his best is much smarter than our other mids who lack creativity

I noticed this as well. I have a question though, this has been a thing he has been doing since he has been in the forward line and you'd think that if the coaches are unhappy with this aspect of his game he would most likely be dropped or told to adjust the way he is playing. This hasn't been a one week thing, so I ask you, could it be direction rather than hesitancy/being soft?
I hate the look of it as well, but I've said this before, I've watched him play as an inside midfielder in the VFL and he isn't afraid of a contest.

So, I think before we start calling for his head, I'd look into it a bit more than fingernail deep and consider whether the coaches are instructing him to stay on the outside for the receive rather than jumping in when we have others that typically will jump in without thinking.
Typically, at a contest, you need representation both inside and outside.

I agree with you though, there are times he needs to put his head over it and the Balta goal was probably one of those times. He isn't getting dropped though so it isn't that straightforward I don't think.
Anyone who has played the game knows Sonsie issues will never be cured. You're either a kid that cracks in from u/10s or someone who doesn't. If you're in the latter group that can be hidden by talent at lower levels and juniors. It won't ever cut it at AFL level though. We should have picked his mate from Eastern Jake Soligo who played in our VFL team. Whilst he was rated lower than Sonsie in his draft year he cracks in and that's why he has made it at AFL level and Sonsie won't.

Anyone who has played the game knows Sonsie issues will never be cured. You're either a kid that cracks in from u/10s or someone who doesn't. If you're in the latter group that can be hidden by talent at lower levels and juniors. It won't ever cut it at AFL level though. We should have picked his mate from Eastern Jake Soligo who played in our VFL team. Whilst he was rated lower than Sonsie in his draft year he cracks in and that's why he has made it at AFL level and Sonsie won't.
There can be different levels and types of cracking in. There’s the Cotchin fearless drive head first into packs type. Or a bit less like Dusty.
Or McIntosh who is not brave but not totally soft. Right now Sonsie doesn’t even look McIntosh cracking in level. He might grit his teeth and become that McIntosh level but he will never be Cotchin like.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol thanks for addressing absolutely nothing I said. Not even sure why I bothered.

He’s not soft and that’s just an over reaction. He’s basically playing a role he’s not familiar with and struggling to work out what the position involves. He’s confused with whether to go or to wait, to dish off or go for goal , who to dispose too and looks confused more than anything. He’s taking too long to weigh up his options and getting into a tangle and rushing his disposals bc the risk of failure. He just needs to go in the midfield where he leant his trade from a kid and he will become a slick outside burst player. The coaches have Hopper, JGTI, Prestia, TT, Dow and even Dusty on the list as mids and they’re all slow and mostly inside. Bolton, Junior and Sonsie is what we need as exit players bc they have that quick touch release and initial breaking acceleration with excellent foot skills. Unfortunately junior is injured, Bolton is with the fairies and Sonsie is in starvation corner. He just has to be played for the rest of the year in the guts and especially with our pedestrian midfield.
People were saying Miller was soft last season, but he was disoriented bc he was playing a role he’d never played before and was hesitant in failing as it wasn’t his natural position . Confidence then leaves you as you get dropped and then when you work your way back in to the side only for the process to rinse and repeat.

He’s not soft and that’s just an over reaction. He’s basically playing a role he’s not familiar with and struggling to work out what the position involves. He’s confused with whether to go or to wait, to dish off or go for goal , who to dispose too and looks confused more than anything. He’s taking too long to weigh up his options and getting into a tangle and rushing his disposals bc the risk of failure. He just needs to go in the midfield where he leant his trade from a kid and he will become a slick outside burst player. The coaches have Hopper, JGTI, Prestia, TT, Dow and even Dusty on the list as mids and they’re all slow and mostly inside. Bolton, Junior and Sonsie is what we need as exit players bc they have that quick touch release and initial breaking acceleration with excellent foot skills. Unfortunately junior is injured, Bolton is with the fairies and Sonsie is in starvation corner. He just has to be played for the rest of the year in the guts and especially with our pedestrian midfield.
People were saying Miller was soft last season, but he was disoriented bc he was playing a role he’d never played before and was hesitant in failing as it wasn’t his natural position . Confidence then leaves you as you get dropped and then when you work your way back in to the side only for the process to rinse and repeat.
Well said

Give the kid 30-40 games in his proper position before we make a decision. I remember plenty on here saying similiar things re Ben Miller last year and start of this year, look what happens when you reach a critical number of games and start feeling confident in your own skin at the level.

As for the midfield looking forward its not unlikely we add 2 mids likely smillie and Lalor to the mix this year then all of a sudden you have Hopper, Taranto, Smillie, Lalor, Kmac 2.0, Ross and sonsie and things start looking a bit better for the future.

I would suggest that you watch the game again and this time watch Carlton. Their big mids crashed in and had multiple options on the outside to get (throw) the ball to. Our big mids crash in then then dump kick the ball forward. Carlton’s game style worked ours didn’t. I’m guessing that the coaches want Sonsie to play that outside role otherwise I’m pretty sure he would be back in the VFL by now

Campbell has the makings of a very good midfielder, he just hasn't been played there yet. Maybe he needs to be dropped for a bit and given a taste in then VFL for 3 weeks before coming back and given a run in the midfield. Or start running him through there now.

He reminds me so much of Treloar. Similar size and body shape, speed, running ability, clean below the knees, balance etc.
Has all the attributes of an outside midfielder like Treloar.

When was the last time a young player came in round 1 and played the entire season on merit, from current list, Rioli, Vlastuin, Dusty. It's good company.

oh dear your understanding of the game is terrible, Baker barged in and sonz backed off and made himself available for the handball which Baker couldn't execute because the Carlton defender was desperate and lunged and crashed in and the ball spillt to baltas feet who done the rest..... you are really over critical have no idea. if if Sonz attacks the ball, he gets in both Bakers and Baltas way and we don't get the goal.

Last edited:
What I've learned from this thread is that a lot of Richmond supporters just want players to mindlessly leap into the contest and leave no one on the outside because "outside players are soft".

Give the kid 30-40 games in his proper position before we make a decision. I remember plenty on here saying similiar things re Ben Miller last year and start of this year, look what happens when you reach a critical number of games and start feeling confident in your own skin at the level.

As for the midfield looking forward its not unlikely we add 2 mids likely smillie and Lalor to the mix this year then all of a sudden you have Hopper, Taranto, Smillie, Lalor, Kmac 2.0, Ross and sonsie and things start looking a bit better for the future.
+1 on people saying similar 'soft' comments on HRS

Remove this Banner Ad

Back