Player Watch #40 Tyler Sonsie

Remove this Banner Ad

I just don’t see anything in him including the alleged ‘elite kicking ‘
Players take time

Give it time , He shows signs of being a very good player but tries to do abit too much and doesnt have the time to do what he did at lower levels. It will get better and he will be a player

He couldnt of played mid the last couple of weeks.
Him and Dow would of been destroyed.
He may see his minutes increase now that Taranto, Graham and Hopper are back.

i actually think he has been good in his role the last few weeks.
Good point and I hope so.

Players take time

Give it time , He shows signs of being a very good player but tries to do abit too much and doesnt have the time to do what he did at lower levels. It will get better and he will be a player
I respectively disagree , doesn’t have any inside game and lacks speed ,skills and a defensive game to play outside .

I respectively disagree , doesn’t have any inside game and lacks speed ,skills and a defensive game to play outside .
I was looking for a post to show I agreed with someone, where I had said McAuliffe was Coughlan mkII, and came across my post where I said in preseason that Sonsie won't make it (I think I was maybe half serious).

I'm still leaning toward that, but there's still time.

He is being played out of position, he is basically Darcy Parish from 5 years ago, being played on a forward flank and looking like a terrible AFL footballer.

But my issue with Sonsie is that he seems a half step behind to react to everything around him, and it might be because of a lack of willingness. He skirts the edge of basically EVERYTHING, he doesn't attack the footy or contest with any vigour whatsoever.

Again, still time, but he needs to be thrown into the midfield. By the time he is 25 he might be a really good midfielder, but he's not gonna make it as a forward flanker.

Strap him to a chair and force him to watch highlights of Cotchin, edwards, lambert ect …. Then ask him what he’s learnt and tell him to try and emulate what he’s seen
He’s only 21 years old, needs to build the body to be a bonafide mid at AFL level imo. Certainly added to his frame last off season, hopefully can step it up again.
He will make it as a player I reckon, he’s got the skills and is a natural footballer

He’s only 21 years old, needs to build the body to be a bonafide mid at AFL level imo. Certainly added to his frame last off season, hopefully can step it up again.
He will make it as a player I reckon, he’s got the skills and is a natural footballer
I agree, I still believe in him even if he’s currently a bit underwhelming this season ….. go got em sonsie!!!

Have you watched him at VFL level?
Exactly. It's night and day. Sonsie isn't afraid of winning a hard ball. I'm certain the way he plays at AFL level is specifically coaching direction.

Players take time

Tbh I think he plays a bit too safe same criticism I have of hopper , with short sharp handball dominating his possies , to damage the oppo he needs to trust his foot more take his time to get on that boot , that’s what helps the team more and how he ll make a name for himself , take his VFL form to afl basically

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tbh I think he plays a bit too safe same criticism I have of hopper , with short sharp handball dominating his possies , to damage the oppo he needs to trust his foot more take his time to get on that boot , that’s what helps the team more and how he ll make a name fir himself , take his VFL form to afl basically
Only 19 games and still very early

That will come with more games and more confidence as it did in the VFL

He’s one I picked relatively early that he will make a very good player, but hasn’t progressed at the rate I expected. After the preseason with the physical change he added I thought he would be a big improver, but he hasn’t which is a shame.
I’m still not giving up on him as Sheds was a slow build and Lambert also a late maturer. I had Lambert written off and then he just turned into a gut running competitive beast and ball magnet. I think he’s going to do the same and a better fitness staff will get him there faster. I’m not too concerned with Sonsie as he’s shown he has more than one trick and has some class as well.

He’s one I picked relatively early that he will make a very good player, but hasn’t progressed at the rate I expected. After the preseason with the physical change he added I thought he would be a big improver, but he hasn’t which is a shame.
I’m still not giving up on him as Sheds was a slow build and Lambert also a late maturer. I had Lambert written off and then he just turned into a gut running competitive beast and ball magnet. I think he’s going to do the same and a better fitness staff will get him there faster. I’m not too concerned with Sonsie as he’s shown he has more than one trick and has some class as well.
Still may this year

The season is only half way and if he plays 2-3 good games or a break out game that would accelerate things quickly

5 Weeks ago alot on this board had HRS on the delisted tray

He couldnt of played mid the last couple of weeks.
Him and Dow would of been destroyed.
He may see his minutes increase now that Taranto, Graham and Hopper are back.

i actually think he has been good in his role the last few weeks.

But Taranto, Hopper and Dow are fulltime mids, Graham and Baker mostly mid as well + we obv have Shai or Dusty in for clearances. Then there's McAuliffe + Prestia as well it's going be hard to get many midfield minutes this season if everyone is fit. Ross to come back as well.

He's going to have to become classier to survive at AFL level and continue to improve his running capacity. I mean we will have a very highly rated midfielder come in with likely pick 2 as well next season.

Generally I'm glass half full with youngsters but I'm just struggling to see it with Sons.

He's still obviously young enough to have a big pre-season and a breakout year, so I still have some hope, but game to game this year I just haven't seen much to get excited about.

Can appreciate that he's probably not being played in his best position though.

Watching him on the weekend and in previous games, the ball and the play just seems to stop in its tracks when he gets it, there's no urgency at all to move it on quickly or with any purpose.

Generally I'm glass half full with youngsters but I'm just struggling to see it with Sons.

He's still obviously young enough to have a big pre-season and a breakout year, so I still have some hope, but game to game this year I just haven't seen much to get excited about.

Can appreciate that he's probably not being played in his best position though.

Watching him on the weekend and in previous games, the ball and the play just seems to stop in its tracks when he gets it, there's no urgency at all to move it on quickly or with any purpose.
It is Newman's coaching .... 'the ball is gold' - don't give it up easily.

I suspect this will be a a funny thread to look back on, like the Rance one was and MRJ one is.....:$
Yeah I think he’s one more preseason away from being fully up to the right physical levels for midfield. Did a ton of work over the last preseason and as he’s been disappointing I still think he’s working hard on and off the field with little success in the latter. It is more game time, stronger body, more midfield minutes and confidence should build with better results.

Think alot of us expect these kids that show a bit in the VFL to naturally become stars at AFL level. Sonsie may just be one of those mids that compliments the bigger bodied ball winners. Every successful team has them. Can rotate forward and have an impact which instantly puts him ahead of Dow imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back