Player Watch #42: Kallan Dawson - [NMFC.com] - KD signs a 1-yr extension - Roo until end '25

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m not going to pass judgment on his performance in a pretend game, but that is the exact reason why he should have played more games in the seniors. We will be crying out for tall defenders next year. It will be stupidity to not trial him then cut him at the end of the year.

His VFL form looked decent, it’s just baffling.
He plays exactly like the player we are searching for back there????

Based on the admittedly limited sample size of senior games, he's shown very little to suggest that he couldn't make it at AFL level. It's mind boggling that he didn't get a game earlier. Would be disappointing if he's delisted.

So what did the coaching and selection team see in him that we didn’t to warrant not being selected all year?

Luke McDonald?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why this kid wasn’t picked as soon as Logue went down has me wondering what the hell is going on at Arden St.
Baffling.
Yeh i'm normally one for giving faith in the clubs selection process given they see what the players are doing the other 90% of time other than on the field. However, every time this guy has played he has looked pretty good. Sometimes you just have to play someone and see how they go, clearly we should have tried earlier in the year.

I said it before but McDonald was keeping him out of the side.
Its just madness one is about to be delisted and the other is co-captain and has 3 years left on a deal.

Dawson is made for the modern game as he has the reach and defensive capabilities to defend the games forwards. He's only raw but you saw today a sample size of what could be. Why would we not want to see a full seasons worth?

McDonald for all his courage tries hard but can't even lock down dangerous forwards.

Its a list management shambles but I ask North, you guys went out and recruited Dawson. No one else did. Give the man a proper go ffs

I've been rating this guy for a while. I thinks he has it. He's raw atm but he's only 5 games in. Really see the potential in him. I hope we persist. And his story of getting picked up is great too. Marketable and we should be pursuing it. Tradie gets his shot, it's never too late

Well, I'm glad he got to showcase his stuff. His time developing seems to have paid off, no signs of jitters like last year.

I had a look at his VFL games a little while ago when I was wondering if he could be part of how we deal with McKays absence next year and noticed he had been moved around onto the wing where he seemed to have started to get a hold of the footy a bit. Certainly did a nice job in defence today, so pleased that he took to his role so easily today.

Talk about fate and sliding doors.

McDonald doesn't do his hamstring last week and the chances were the bloke was out the door. Never to be seen again.

Shows how much our system has failed us in the last 4 years that we're relying on hamstring injuries to get it right.
He’s probably safe if Mckay walks away, even if he didn’t play yesterday

Loved KD's game on Saturday. Looked assured, made good decisions, no turnovers as far as I can remember. Needs to stay on the list.
Absolutely. It's strange that he didn't get a run before the weekend. Selection has been a bit odd this year as players like Greenwood, Dawson and Perez deserved more game time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #42: Kallan Dawson - [NMFC.com] - KD signs a 1-yr extension - Roo until end '25

Remove this Banner Ad

Back