Player Watch #42: Kallan Dawson - [NMFC.com] - KD signs a 1-yr extension - Roo until end '25

Remove this Banner Ad

Super happy with this if true (will wait for the club to release).
He had a very slow start to the year, was being kept out by JZ imo, smashed it when he came in... hope he has a cracking preseason and fills the Griff hole we have next year

Talk about taking your chances!!

Good on him, after the last round he has probably nailed a position for rd 1, 2023 as well.
That crystal ball is failing you big time. :D

Originally I was thinking that he was unfairly treated this year even though his vfl form deserved a call up much earlier, but now I'm thinking it was part of the coaches plan all along to let him develop in the vfl for a season to let him learn the teams game plan.

Worked out well for Eddie and Larkey.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And not killing the value of McKay
Exactly. If we were always going to let McKay walk and Kal needed to bulk up and work on some stuff, makes perfect sense that we kept him in the 2s. Can understand the frustration that he wasn’t picked earlier but this year was always about development — Ford, Bergman, Goater, Harvey, Phillips and Dawson all played plenty of VFL and you’d back them all to contribute next year.

We also had a look at Young and saw he wasn’t up to it. Playing in the VFL is not an issue if the development is solid, and under Lynch it seems to be…

Good.

Maybe, just maybe, letting him develop into a better footballer in the VFL - wild I know - was the plan all along? And now he’s ready to come in and play a role at the level.
I dunno ... did it work with Fnord or Larkey

Good.

Maybe, just maybe, letting him develop into a better footballer in the VFL - wild I know - was the plan all along? And now he’s ready to come in and play a role at the level.
Reminds me of Goater last year.
Sat all year then given a run in the last round to keep some confidence over the break.

Good.

Originally I was thinking that he was unfairly treated this year even though his vfl form deserved a call up much earlier, but now I'm thinking it was part of the coaches plan all along to let him develop in the vfl for a season to let him learn the teams game plan.

Worked out well for Eddie and Larkey.
Let’s not rewrite history.
McDonald was keeping him out of the side and that was why he wasn’t picked.
Then you had Ziebell too on the fringes of the 22.
He was never getting a game ahead of Logue, McKay and Corr either.

Dawson should have got looks in against Carlton on Good Friday, once Logue went down and definitely when Ziebell was dropped from the 22. But he didn’t.
McDonalds form has been woeful and him being captain meant we didn’t have the balls to drop him until he busted his hammy.
I’d say McKay leaving played apart in him getting a new deal but definitely luck is on his side as he came in for the last round, played well and gave the coach’s something to think about.

Had very little to do with his last round performance. He's young, new to the professional side of things and was learning his trade in the 2's. His VFL form has been solid, hopefully continues to improve and surprises a few next year. I didn't doubt he'd get a new contract and he'd 100% know why he was playing 2's and what he needs to work on, he's athletically gifted and seems to have the drive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #42: Kallan Dawson - [NMFC.com] - KD signs a 1-yr extension - Roo until end '25

Remove this Banner Ad

Back