Traded #42: Massimoe D'Ambrosioe - Thank you for your service

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

classic Massimo - there is a contract in front of him but he refuses to grab it and is just waiting for someone else to grab it and pass it to him…

I don't get the (positive) fuss with this guy. He is very vanilla but a slightly above average kick. He has list clogger written all over him. You can say that about others (hi Snelling), but move him along. Limited ceiling. Try and find the next Nick Martin (they are out there) rather than persist with guys like this.

I don't get the (positive) fuss with this guy. He is very vanilla but a slightly above average kick. He has list clogger written all over him. You can say that about others (hi Snelling), but move him along. Limited ceiling. Try and find the next Nick Martin (they are out there) rather than persist with guys like this.
Nic martins aren’t just out there. They’re an incredibly rare find and you’ve got to be very lucky to grab the right guy. Martin was known to have elite footy iq and skills, just lacked worth ethic/ hunger / toughness. He worked on that himself and got himself a chance. There’s not a lot of guys who put that amount of work into themselves for a couple of years that also had a high ceiling when they were an u18.

Not sure why you’re dying on this hill. A defender isn’t even a position, it’s an area of the ground that you play. There plenty of ‘defenders’ who are actually attacking/ rebounding half backs that do very little defending, if any at all.
The decent+ ones can do both... e.g. Ridley, Redman, McGrath

I suspect the reason D'Ambrosio is the 9th defender on the list is because he lacks the versatility to lockdown, so if we need someone to play a role as well as provide some rebound, someone else gets that gig.

If D'Ambrosio was a better defender, perhaps one of the other spuds people love to complain about would be getting fewer games.

Nic martins aren’t just out there. They’re an incredibly rare find and you’ve got to be very lucky to grab the right guy. Martin was known to have elite footy iq and skills, just lacked worth ethic/ hunger / toughness. He worked on that himself and got himself a chance. There’s not a lot of guys who put that amount of work into themselves for a couple of years that also had a high ceiling when they were an u18.
yeah but we have to find more match winners, so if we get one every 10 years by wasting 100 picks then that's what we have to do.

Not sure why you’re dying on this hill. A defender isn’t even a position, it’s an area of the ground that you play. There plenty of ‘defenders’ who are actually attacking/ rebounding half backs that do very little defending, if any at all.
I'm not dying on a hill... You have taken something I have posted and twisted it because you are unwilling to concede the orioginal point I made which was that he is not very good at defending. It is that simple.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not dying on a hill... You have taken something I have posted and twisted it because you are unwilling to concede the orioginal point I made which was that he is not very good at defending. It is that simple.
I haven’t twisted anything, I’ve agreed he’s not good at defending. But you haven’t listened to my point that there are plenty players who get games in the backline that aren’t any good at defending, they aren’t there to do that. Yet you won’t acknowledge that.

The decent+ ones can do both... e.g. Ridley, Redman, McGrath

I suspect the reason D'Ambrosio is the 9th defender on the list is because he lacks the versatility to lockdown, so if we need someone to play a role as well as provide some rebound, someone else gets that gig.

If D'Ambrosio was a better defender, perhaps one of the other spuds people love to complain about would be getting fewer games.
I’d say ridley is an intercept marker first, rather than an Rebounding defender. And argue Mcgrath is better at lockdown than he is at rebounding. Massimo right now if getting games is there purely for his kicking. Whether he can improve other parts of his game will determine how long his career is, let’s remember he’s only quite young.

I haven’t twisted anything, I’ve agreed he’s not good at defending. But you haven’t listened to my point that there are plenty players who get games in the backline that aren’t any good at defending, they aren’t there to do that. Yet you won’t acknowledge that.
Especially at Essendon it would seem!

The problem is not really the defending as such. It is the slow reaction time to realize what he needs to be doing and then the wasted energy working overtime to catch up on the play.

Expected to be ready day 1 of pre-season
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back