Player Watch #43: Brynn Teakle

Remove this Banner Ad

He has been ok. Nothing more, nothing less. Could be doing more and does go missing but also has had some good moments and can take a contested mark.

I prefer him to Pink and CCJ as he can help Xerri more.

Any sort of judgement on him as a 2026 prospect (whether positive or negative) is premature at this stage.

Correct but we should def not delist them as key positions are a premium this year.

CCJ is 25 so many years to come. Tom Campbell is kept on saint's list without playing too many games. Breyden Presuss another on the list without playing too many games.

Well the reality is that ruckmen are a premium currently, dud rucks are still rucks where superstar mids cannot ruck.
Thats a very convoluted way of saying CCJ cannot ruck without saying CCJ cannot ruck. in fact its actually hard to comprehend what your actually suggesting?

Please correct me if my interpretation of "keep him on the list clogging a spot because he is crap but someone once called him a ruckman" is correct?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah, he’ll get better.

Now before you throw your toys out of the cot, no I dont believe he will be part of a premiership team

Haha well yes he actually could be, he seems alright, has a bit of the Justin Koschitzke's about him.

Justin averaged 5 marks 1.2 goals , 11 disposals and 5 hitouts. And should have been a premiership player.

And Teakle copped it (internally) after the cats game.

I.m not saying Brynn has set the world on fire but from a low level of expectation he's going ok.

He's played 15 games, less than 10 with us. Each game he is a little more effective but needs to get more of it.

This guy has shown way more than CCJ ever has playing for North. Give him a preseason and he’ll be flying
He needs a pre season but the boys need a preseason with him as a target too cos they are very focused on the top of Larkey's head at the moment.

Haha well yes he actually could be, he seems alright, has a bit of the Justin Koschitzke's about him.

Justin averaged 5 marks 1.2 goals , 11 disposals and 5 hitouts. And should have been a premiership player.

And Teakle copped it (internally) after the cats game.

I.m not saying Brynn has set the world on fire but from a low level of expectation he's going ok.

Im looking forward to seeing how he goes next year. Previously the focus has all be around the ruck for him. Getting him working on his forward body work and leading patterns with his neat set shot and great hands could see some significant upside.

He has been ok. Nothing more, nothing less. Could be doing more and does go missing but also has had some good moments and can take a contested mark.

I prefer him to Pink and CCJ as he can help Xerri more.

Any sort of judgement on him as a 2026 prospect (whether positive or negative) is premature at this stage.

Would you say it was a good recruiting decision to bring Teaks in, or a bad recruiting decision?

He's played 15 games, less than 10 with us. Each game he is a little more effective but needs to get more of it.

He needs a pre season but the boys need a preseason with him as a target too cos they are very focused on the top of Larkey's head at the moment.
Don't forget he's had a preseason with Collingwood, which given their standards would have been a reasonably high level

Would you say it was a good recruiting decision to bring Teaks in, or a bad recruiting decision?
You have to say it was a good decision.

Low risk and gives the side at a minimum structure.

He’s no world beater, but does a job and fills a hole.

Is he there long term, who knows? But for nothing more than a pay packet, a definite tick.

The player I think he most closely resembles in a structural sense is Hayden McLean at Sydney. On that comparison, Teakle stacks up pretty well, fewer possessions but comparable in goals and contested marks, and better at stoppage as the relief ruck.

Terrific bit of recruiting IMO

For the cost, a good one. Whether he'll still be on the list in 2026 is really a question of him vs Pink vs CCJ but at the moment on available evidence I'd have him well ahead - his ruck work (although not amazing) is miles better than CCJ and he has proven to be more effective up forward than him.

If you're questioning whether I'm able to admit I was wrong in an assessment of a player, then you're talking to the wrong person. Don't care if I'm wrong and happy to be wrong (at the moment) if a North Melbourne player is exceeding expectations.

Don't forget he's had a preseason with Collingwood, which given their standards would have been a reasonably high level
That's obviously why he's getting games early compared to the higher pick in Payne but then he went back to Perth and wasn't in an AFL system. Another pre season with our side, working with our players and the first half of the year in the same AFL system ... well you'd hope we will see a greater improvement because of it.

That's obviously why he's getting games early compared to the higher pick in Payne but then he went back to Perth and wasn't in an AFL system. Another pre season with our side, working with our players and the first half of the year in the same AFL system ... well you'd hope we will see a greater improvement because of it.
i dont think payne was ever recruited as a break glass example , i think the recruitment team genuinely see payne as a longer term project. Pink was a break glass recruitment who has shown reasonable flexibility but on present form isnt a starting 22 in a contending team, but ok depth and saves a spot on the list given he can be deployed forward or in defence.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #43: Brynn Teakle

Remove this Banner Ad

Back