Retired #43: Dean Rioli - 100 and out

Should Rioli take the rest of the season off?

• Yes, bring him on next year!

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • No, get your 100 and say goodbye.

Votes: 13 65.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Some things he did on the field were amazing. What i remember most about him was that he was playing really well during the end of our 2000 season and then he went down. cant remember who it was against. The expression on his face indicated his season was over and he knew he had just missed out on an opportunity for a premiership. Poor bloke!

What are your thoughts on Sheedy playing an unfit Rioli? Will this help Hawthorn at all. A mate of mine who supports Essendon says he is on a much modified training program if any training at all, does that mean he is going to struggle to stay on the park all day?

Could the Hawks use this to their advantage with a fitter and deeper bench? Any thoughts?

:confused:

Firstly your mate is wrong about the non-training.

Modified yes, but he's doing plenty.

I can understand why people think it's a bad idea, but in reality we beat Collingwood last week and Ricky Dyson spent most of the night on the bench and had about 8 touches. If Rioli can do the same, his 8 touches will count for a whole lot more.

Sheedy has made it quite clear that hes going to use Rioli as an impact player. Most likely playing less than half the game time.

As to why he's playing him? F/S rule and loyalty.

why bother really f/s rule big deal, call me narrow minded but i dont feel he really has had a massive impact at this club for his 100 or so games he has played.. unlucky with injury yes, fitness no, many a times i saw his running around the park with a few extra kgs and that no excuse, if his skin was of different colour his status at essendon would be different

On football ability he sits just under that rung of Hird, Voss, Riccutio, Carey.

Overall career has been blemished by injury but I will forever rate him highly for his output on the field - even when not fully fit ( remember the st kilda game last year).

I can understand why people think it's a bad idea, but in reality we beat Collingwood last week and Ricky Dyson spent most of the night on the bench and had about 8 touches. If Rioli can do the same, his 8 touches will count for a whole lot more.

I think you're missing the point. Rioli's selection is clearly is a step backward for the club. We are in a rebuilding phase. That needs total commitment.

When you pick a player, you pick him for a four quarter performance. Sheedy wants Rioli to be an "impact player". Sure, Dean might be able to play a sparkling 10 minutes a quarter, but then what? Someone like Jolley, or one of our other kids on our list, might put in a workman like 10 minutes on the ground, but they also provide the fitness and stamina to perform off the field as well - to run around the boundary line to keep warm whilst on the interchange, to shout out and encourage the boys whilst sitting on the bench, to provide lively conversation with David Calthorpe and Barnsey. All important for team morale.

If Rioli takes the spot of a much youngster player - it could ruin that young player's career. Think of what Jolley will miss out on this week. Playing against the third bottom side, in a pressure cooker of game, where the stakes are so high. There could be 15 to 20k people at the dome this week - where else will he get an opportunity to play in such an environment? If we drop him this week, we might as well delist him. His career is over.

Finally, selecting Dean sends a terrible message to the youngsters at the club. What it says, is that if you stick by Essendon football and make significant personal sacrifices over a number of years, showing loyalty and respect for the history of the club, Essendon football club will stand by you and treat you with respect. Do we really want our players thinking that club sees them, and values them as people, as well as players!?! I think not!

djharps said:
why bother really f/s rule big deal, call me narrow minded but i dont feel he really has had a massive impact at this club for his 100 or so games he has played.. unlucky with injury yes, fitness no, many a times i saw his running around the park with a few extra kgs and that no excuse, if his skin was of different colour his status at essendon would be different

what a crock of ****. There was a time when Rioli was the absolute heart-beat, the engine of Essendon with his silky skills and faultless touches. And at that time Essendon was a far better team. And right now, if Rioli were fit and firing we'd be a far, far better team. Anyone who didn't realise this can't have too many clues.

When you bring up his race in that context, you go from sounding slightly ignorant to sounding completely ignorant.

When you pick a player, you pick him for a four quarter performance.

Thats certainly not the way that modern football teams are picked these days.

If Rioli takes the spot of a much youngster player - it could ruin that young player's career.

I think that's a BIT melodramatic, dont you?

Finally, selecting Dean sends a terrible message to the youngsters at the club. What it says, is that if you stick by Essendon football and make significant personal sacrifices over a number of years, showing loyalty and respect for the history of the club, Essendon football club will stand by you and treat you with respect. Do we really want our players thinking that club sees them, and values them as people, as well as players!?! I think not!

This quote has got me confused....not sure if it's sarcasm or what but i'll treat it as if it's not.
Of course we want to youngsters of the club thinking the club values them as people as well as players.

I have been one of Riolis biggest detractors and think that it is a disgrace and a bad signal by him and the club for him to be allowed to play in the disgraceful shape he has presented himself in year after year. even pre injuries for thos about to quote that tired excuse.

BUT, I believe the club is doing the right thing playing him for the 2 games he needs for his 100.
Not for the father sone rule, although that could prove handy and i don't believe sheeds is playing him for that reason, but because he has said it was his final wish in afl to play 100, so Essendon is sending a signal to its players that we do care for them as people and will show them the loyalty they deserve.
This can have many flow on benefits and sheeds has proved his loyalty to players over the years and it's one of the things that makes me proud to be an Essendon supporter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I believe he is a disgrace to himself , presents as a poor rold model to the youth with his rolls of fat and has wasted the many many talents he has been blessed with.
I'm glad for his sake that he can get his 100 games, but i'm sure he will have many many regrets about what he wasted as he comes to terms of life without AFL.

zafa23 said:
As to why he's playing him? F/S rule and loyalty.

Talk about a long bow.

He doesn't have any kids
If he does they may not be boys
If he does have a boy they may not be any good
The league rules will most likely have changed in 18 years time

IMO it would be a kick in the teeth for the youngster he's keeping out of the team (or the player whose career is in the balance and needs to prove himself) when its clear fat chops is not getting a game on form or fitness.

Merv Neagle said:
I believe he is a disgrace to himself , presents as a poor rold model to the youth with his rolls of fat and has wasted the many many talents he has been blessed with.
I'm glad for his sake that he can get his 100 games, but i'm sure he will have many many regrets about what he wasted as he comes to terms of life without AFL.

Not a fan of Rioli Merv?

Longy413 said:
Just out of interest, what do you think of Nathan Lovett-Murray and Andrew Lovett and their performances over the past two years or so?

As for NLM i think he has been a great role model.
What he did for the club when he voluntarily put himself back on the rookie list again was a great gesture.He is quite a good player without being in the rioli class of course.
What he has done though, is work very hard and present himself in the sort of condition that an AFL footballer should. Big thumbs up

Lovett is in the rioli mould from the point of view that he has a lot of talent.
Imo he suffers from a bit of the big head syndrom when hes playing well and is getting the accolades though.He seems quite lacksidaisical ( have no idea how to spell and too lazy to look it up ) sometimes.
He seems inconsistent at the moment but certainly has a lot of talent and apparantly has had family issues so will prolly end up being a good player.

So i would suggest that NLM would present an excellent role model to the youth and Lovett certainly wouldnt be a bad role model, but not in the same catagory as NLM.

Why do you ask Longy?

Remove this Banner Ad

Retired #43: Dean Rioli - 100 and out

Back