Retired #43: Dean Rioli - 100 and out

Should Rioli take the rest of the season off?

• Yes, bring him on next year!

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • No, get your 100 and say goodbye.

Votes: 13 65.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Freakish talent. Always composed and skillful. Unable to understand what his problems were with injury and fitness, and why they weren't able to be better managed.

Is Sheedy going out of his way to do the right thing with Rioli to help cleanse his conscience over his treatment of Derek Kickett?

Jumpin' Jimmy said:
Freakish talent. Always composed and skillful. Unable to understand what his problems were with injury and fitness, and why they weren't able to be better managed.

Is Sheedy going out of his way to do the right thing with Rioli to help cleanse his conscience over his treatment of Derek Kickett?

because they are both black?

Lance Uppercut said:
because they are both black?
Dont know, I'm not Sheedy's conscience.

main_4610.jpg

Longy413 said:
Because Dean Rioli was a mentor to both (along with Adrian Wilson) when they came to the club, which kind of puts a dint in your "Dean Rioli is a bad role model theory."

Longy, When i spoke about him being a bad role model i always mentioned his fatness and never bought other issues into it.
Good on him for being a mentor and i assume he prolly does the community stuff like other AFL players and maybe even does stuff with the Aboriginal community, but none of that changes my views on the disgraceful condition he presented himself in.

Longy413 said:
How did he treat Kickett badly?

10 MOMENTS HE'D PREFER TO FORGET 6. Derek Kickett: Not so much for his decision to drop for the 1993 grand final the dynamic Bomber favourite, who'd played every game and had kicked a bag of eight goals only weeks before, but perhaps for a lack of effort to make peace afterwards with a proud man who'd been badly hurt

http://www.theage.com.au/realfooty/news/Features/The-Sheedy-legacy/2005/05/10/1115584961847.html

go_the_bombers said:
Not a fan of Rioli Merv?

Definately a fan of his ability and the really sad thing is we never ever got to see the best of him.
He will really regret it when he is retired from AFL, but we all have to live with the decisions we make.

Kickett made it very clear, and still does that he doesn't want to speak to Sheedy.

Despite any effort he made, the result would have been the same. Sheedy did phone his house the morning of the GF and spoke to Kickett's mother.

Dropping Kickett was the right decision, the bloke just couldn't handle the pressure of finals footy. His time at Sydney further proved that point.

Also worth noting that there is not one quote in that article, it is someone else's opinion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Merv Neagle said:
none of that changes my views on the disgraceful condition he presented himself in.

That's fair enough, but that has nothing to do with him as a role model.

You were making a presumption based on his physical appearance, one that is incorrect.

Merv Neagle said:
Definately a fan of his ability and the really sad thing is we never ever got to see the best of him.
He will really regret it when he is retired from AFL, but we all have to live with the decisions we make.

Your not wrong!

Who came in for Kickett in the 93 Grand Final??????????

go_the_bombers said:
Your not wrong!

Who came in for Kickett in the 93 Grand Final??????????

Technically it was Wallis, but Wallis was always going to play.

In the end I'm pretty sure it was a choice of two between Hills, Watson and Kickett.

Longy413 said:
That's fair enough, but that has nothing to do with him as a role model.

You were making a presumption based on his physical appearance, one that is incorrect.

Longy, What about the young aboriginal kid, or any kid for that matter, or kids plural that idolises rioli and has some weight issues.His coaches in the tac and mentors are trying to get him to lose some weight so he can have a better chance of being drafted but he sees rioli playing AFL in that condition.

Why would he listen?

Kids these days are having nutrition and conditioning being drilled into them from a very young age now but when they see guys like that they must question the validity of that strict way of life and MAY choose the easier one.

Longy413 said:
Sheedy did phone his house the morning of the GF and spoke to Kickett's mother
How thoughtful and caring of good old Sheeds :rolleyes:

After having played every game and kicking a bag of eight goals only weeks before I'm surprised Kickett did not strangle Sheedy.

Jumpin' Jimmy said:
How thoughtful and caring of good old Sheeds :rolleyes:

I'm tipping he didn't have a mobile in 1993, Kickett cleared off. Sheeds try to make contact but he did actually have a GF to coach.

Jumpin' Jimmy said:
After having played every game and kicking a bag of eight goals only weeks before I'm surprised Kickett did not strangle Sheedy.

Do yourself a favour and look up Kickett's stats in finals, don't talk about what you know nothing about.

Merv Neagle said:
Longy, What about the young aboriginal kid, or any kid for that matter, or kids plural that idolises rioli and has some weight issues.His coaches in the tac and mentors are trying to get him to lose some weight so he can have a better chance of being drafted but he sees rioli playing AFL in that condition.

Why would he listen?

If they don't have common sense, they aren't going to make it anyway. And in reality it has little consequence to EFC anyway.

Merv Neagle said:
Kids these days are having nutrition and conditioning being drilled into them from a very young age now but when they see guys like that they must question the validity of that strict way of life and MAY choose the easier one.

Again you are making presumptions based on his size. Did you know he actually has lower skin folds than Dustin Fletcher?

His diet isn't the problem.

Longy413 said:
I'm tipping he didn't have a mobile in 1993, Kickett cleared off. Sheeds try to make contact but he did actually have a GF to coach.
Do yourself a favour and look up Kickett's stats in finals, don't talk about what you know nothing about.
Longy, I admire your passion for all things Essendon but your blind faith in believing Sheedy walks on water is ridiculous.

Kickett's omission was, and always will remain as, one of the most p1ss weak coaching decisions of all time.

So much for loyalty :(

Jumpin' Jimmy said:
Kickett's omission was, and always will remain as, one of the most p1ss weak coaching decisions of all time.

So much for loyalty :(

How would have dropping Watson been anymore loyal?

It was the right move, he averaged 6 disposals per game in finals. I'll slag Sheedy when he deserves it and have done.

This is not one of those cases, the right decision was made, we won the flag, Kickett went to Sydney, played in a GF and didn't fire a shot.

The Rioli family is obviously a well bred footballing family. Dean Rioli has (bar injury and issues with weight) been a great asset to the Essendon Football Club over the years. In times when Essendon's list was at its peak, Rioli was a pivotal member of that team. I believe that in a year when results are of little consequence, it makes great sense to play dean in two of the last three games for three basic reasons:

a) If he can come off the bench and make an impact (even if he only gets 10 possies in the game) it will be worth selecting him. When the ball is in his hands something always happens.

b) If we get first pick of any little Rioli's that may be running around because we played their father in two inconsequential games then that is a major win for the club.

c) If we can earn him a name on a locker at Windy Hill i think it would be great. The bloke has really struggled more than most to get to this milestone and i think it is a tremendous effort. A body that constantly breaks down, issues with his weight, certain emotional issues, mass criticism from the media...and he still looks like making 100 games.

I hope he plays. I hope he helps us win on the weekend. I hope he makes it to 100 games.

As much as Im not fond of him taking a kid's place....its the end of the season. It would be the equivalent of junk time at the end of a basketball game...no real harm done and you never know....he might find something and produce some of that magic he's reknowned for. If we were vying for a place in the final 8...yeah, Id be dumbstruck as to the merits of including him at such a crucial stage of the season. Lets see what he does this weekend.
Great to see Solly back also

Remove this Banner Ad

Retired #43: Dean Rioli - 100 and out

Back