Retired #43: Dean Rioli - 100 and out

Should Rioli take the rest of the season off?

• Yes, bring him on next year!

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • No, get your 100 and say goodbye.

Votes: 13 65.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Longy413 said:
It's fair, it's physical and it's damn well exciting.

Last time i saw him do it (vs st kilda last season) he had free paid against him despite getting the guy in the chest. Hit the bloke so hard the umpire felt sorry for him and gave him a free. Crowd were might ****ed off.

Crave said:
Here we go, Ill give you something to reply to. I want Rioli to grab his nearest opponent by the head and ram it in the the nearest turnbuckle. As his opponent gets slung back, I want Dean to scoop him up, hold him and point to the stands, then drive the poor sap into the ground for one earth shattering piledriver. To finish off, I want him to tear his guernesy down the middle to the sounds of Hulkamania from the loudspeakers. A spear tackle will pale in comparison to this finale.

Wonder how the tribunal system will view this incident....

Don't know about the tribunal system but I think Rioli will be getting a phone call from the WWE;) :p

Longy413 said:
Another one unfamiliar with Rioli's tackling technique.

Head down, shoulder driven into the opponents chest.

That isn't reportable.

There are not many unfamiliar with Riolis' tackling technique- even he would be loathe to assocoiate it remotely with a spear tackle, which you have done. You may withdraw your description at any time. .

stander said:
There are not many unfamiliar with Riolis' tackling technique- even he would be loathe to assocoiate it remotely with a spear tackle, which you have done. You may withdraw your description at any time. .

Judging by Wikipedia, it appears I'm not the first.

I've got nothing to retract because I was not portraying Dean in a negative light. It was meant in good jest and it seems it was taken in that light by the majority of posters in this thread.

If you're not happy with it, report it to the mods and they can remove it. Email it to the club or Dean Rioli, block me, or just shutup.

Longy413 said:
Judging by Wikipedia, it appears I'm not the first.

I've got nothing to retract because I was not portraying Dean in a negative light. It was meant in good jest and it seems it was taken in that light by the majority of posters in this thread.

If you're not happy with it, report it to the mods and they can remove it. Email it to the club or Dean Rioli, block me, or just shutup.

Someone told you to lighten up the other day, looks like you took his advice and it wasn't picked up by some- unfortunately it didn't last long.

Not many people know this, but the rioli came from a rugby background, and was fairly talented... He got selected for both Rugby and AFL representative sides and had to make the choice of which to follow due to the fact the team trips were held at the sme time, the only reason he chose AFL was because the Rugby team was going to sydney, where he had already been to. The AFL team was coming to melbourne, where he had not been to - so he chose AFL

Thank god he chose AFL! and that probably shows you where he gets his tackling style from also

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DaSawx said:
Some people need to get over themselves. Why tell someone to lighten up when his tongue in cheek comment was totally taken out of context.

These threads aren't making me laugh, they're making me shake my head

Well, it was yours truly who suggested he lighten up, but I felt I had to put my two bobs worth in when a simple comment referring to Rioli's brand of tackling became an issue for some. I stated my opinion as this is after all...a forum for opinions

Longy413 said:
I have to agree, and I'm the major contributor.
Well not really your fault in the first place. It was obvious your reference to a spear tackle was in fact a reference to Rioli's trademark tackle and not a call for blood.

Perhaps the person who criticised your comment in the first place has other issues with you. Just throwing this out there but perhaps that person doesnt agree with your view on say avoiding the wooden spoon, and felt the need to take you on in another unrelated issue. Hypothetical of course. *nudge*

austinthedog said:
how good is my mail gents, spot on once again:thumbsu:
Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't your 'mail' the ABC radio in Darwin? Good call nonetheless. :p

zafa23 said:
Well not really your fault in the first place. It was obvious your reference to a spear tackle was in fact a reference to Rioli's trademark tackle and not a call for blood.

Perhaps the person who criticised your comment in the first place has other issues with you. Just throwing this out there but perhaps that person doesnt agree with your view on say avoiding the wooden spoon, and felt the need to take you on in another unrelated issue. Hypothetical of course. *nudge*

I started this thread and questioned Longys comment on a spear tackle.
Not sure if you are serious or just playing around.
IF you are serious you want to have a hard look at yourself.

It was a question based on the request for a spear tackle.
It's obvious now that Longy didn't mean what most would think a spear tackle is.
I don't have any issues with Longy at all and find he makes quite a lot of sense and generally presents quite a well balanced discussion, although we dont agree on everything.

As for the spoon argument i have made my views clear as have many others here. The difference between me and a lot of them, not all, is they refuse to see it from another point of view and label it a disgrace etc wheres i don't agree with them but can see justification in their view point.

I don't hold any grudges from guys on the internet and if i did Longy wouldnt be one of them.But i'm also not going to be one of the ones to agree with him or any one else if i feel they are wrong or i have a different point of view.

I think this was just a case of interpriatation on a spear tackle definition and i didnt accuse Longy i only asked for clarification if he was saying what i thought he was saying.

I'm sure hes got broad shoulders.

Congratulations to Dean Rioli on his 100th game. I'm also glad that both Dean and the Essendon Football Club came to terms on his retirement agreement. Well done to both parties and all the best for the future Deano after Saturday night!:thumbsu:

austinthedog said:
You are right mate, didnt stop a few blokes on here shooting it down pretty quickly at the time

Is it necessarily right though?

I guess it is because he has now retired, but his intentions all along have been to keep playing. Even up until a few days ago if you go buy the article in yesterdays paper. The reports a few weeks ago were that he wanted to have a crack at the preseason and see how he went.

So going back at the time of this news, it's not unreasonable to think his intentions were actually to play on next season.

zafa23 said:

Other issues are irelevant- the guy said he wanted Rioli to lay one of his spear tackles and the other guy deemed it inappropriate; which was fair enough.

Remove this Banner Ad

Retired #43: Dean Rioli - 100 and out

Back