Retired #43: Dean Rioli - 100 and out

Should Rioli take the rest of the season off?

• Yes, bring him on next year!

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • No, get your 100 and say goodbye.

Votes: 13 65.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Longy413 said:
Is it necessarily right though?

I guess it is because he has now retired, but his intentions all along have been to keep playing. Even up until a few days ago if you go buy the article in yesterdays paper. The reports a few weeks ago were that he wanted to have a crack at the preseason and see how he went.

So going back at the time of this news, it's not unreasonable to think his intentions were actually to play on next season.

According to the news at the time his intentions were very much to get to 100 games and retire. i guess that is why the news was greeted with a deal of sceptisism. I think he has know all year that this would be his last.

austinthedog said:
According to the news at the time his intentions were very much to get to 100 games and retire. i guess that is why the news was greeted with a deal of sceptisism. I think he has know all year that this would be his last.

Hypothetically, if he played the first four games of the year, do you think he would have retired?

Because in reality that is basically what that news was pretty much stating.

DaSawx said:
I can't believe this crap is still going, if it wasn't for some nice things said about Deano this thread would be deleted.

P.S. 1 more 'Dean Rioli style tackle' would be very nice

Sanity prevails- well defined there Moderator.

DaSawx said:
I can't believe this crap is still going, if it wasn't for some nice things said about Deano this thread would be deleted.

P.S. 1 more 'Dean Rioli style tackle' would be very nice

Agreed DeSawx

Toasta, there are actually many people on here that show plenty of intelligence and present well constructed arguments, you are just not one of them [insert clown icon here]

DeSawx, Delete away

Longy413 said:
Hypothetically, if he played the first four games of the year, do you think he would have retired?

Because in reality that is basically what that news was pretty much stating.

If he was right and injury free i am guessing he would have played as many games as possible. The way it came across, it sounded like he knew it would be a struggle to get to 100 with the injuries he had.

If he could have played on, i dont think he would have disclosed this information to the media

Would it be appropriate to include the phrase 'Only in America' ? Its gone froma spear tackle, to a piledriver (my mistake) to a clown' and now a ********. Smells like chinese whispers to me. Id say delete this thread before an opposing team's poster sees this and evaluates our intelligence based on this disaster.

Crave said:
Would it be appropriate to include the phrase 'Only in America' ? Its gone froma spear tackle, to a piledriver (my mistake) to a clown' and now a ********. Smells like chinese whispers to me. Id say delete this thread before an opposing team's poster sees this and evaluates our intelligence based on this disaster.

Too late.

Crave said:
Id say delete this thread before an opposing team's poster sees this and evaluates our intelligence based on this disaster.

This is actually pretty sophisticated stuff for BigFooty.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Rioli's have all been a very successful footballing family dating back a while now. It looks as if letting Dean reach the milestone for 100 games looks to be a very good move as we will be eligable to take any sons he has under the father/son rule (should they wish to play with us). Does anyone know if he has any sons at the moment, and if so how old?

thanks

dunno how reliable it was, but i got told at the time that he didn't have a son.

think most supporters are way too kind to Dean imo.
Yes he was very talented, but did not have enough respect, or care enough for our club and it's fans to actually diet and keep the fat off for more than 5 minutes.
Showed he could loose the weight, but lacked the drive, desire and discipline to actually work hard and get results for more than the odd quarter.
So often injured, as you would expect when a fat person tries to train and play footy against hard working and disciplined athletes, who have the passion to do anything for their club to succeed.

My biggest disappointment in all my time, and did not deserve 100 games. :(
Essendon deserved better.

wasn't stuffed for the first few yrs... stuffed eventually because he was always carrying 15kg's extra...and even then, anyone who gave a rat's could diet and get on a bike or in the pool...if one was so inclined to actually care.

His shoulder was though. ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Retired #43: Dean Rioli - 100 and out

Back