Retired #43: Dean Rioli - 100 and out

Should Rioli take the rest of the season off?

• Yes, bring him on next year!

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • No, get your 100 and say goodbye.

Votes: 13 65.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Poor bloke, such a talented player, always sad to see blokes retire at 28. That's if this is true, which I'm hoping it's not - remember Mercuri's supposed comeback in the PSD last year?

Bolt said:
Have head that his knee has been giving him a lot more trouble than was hoped and may struggle to get on the field at all this year.
Sheeds will nurse him through four games if he has to - that Rioli gene pool very much on his mind. Besides Rio deserves to finally make the 100.

sapphire912435 said:
he'll be 200 kilos in 2 years

and the turtle population of the nt will be decimated

you my friend are a clown, from the town that is full of them.

i'll give you that, rioli loves a turtle, and a vb to wash it down. but the bloke has done a great deal to get where he is today. there are 100 blokes on melville island with the same talent that have gone nowhere in the past 20 years.

austinthedog said:
you my friend are a clown, from the town that is full of them.

i'll give you that, rioli loves a turtle, and a vb to wash it down. but the bloke has done a great deal to get where he is today. there are 100 blokes on melville island with the same talent that have gone nowhere in the past 20 years.
******** the turtle, just give me a VB.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

bee dee said:
Yep so you know nothing! Have to ask Bruce the cabbie now he is connected not unlike your goodself

You don't get it do ya?
I care little for grandstanding. People can make up their own minds.

Dean will be right for round 1.

Longy413 said:
Dean will be right for round 1.
He may play, not sure he'll be right. His knee doesn't seem to be getting better, and he won't exactly have a great base of fitness.

nicho_magic said:
true, however i am sure if he isn't in to bad shape and only cops a few weeks out, he will see out this year... he has a contract to fullfill remember
Aussie Jones had a year to run on his contract too...doesnt mean it was fulfilled

From The Age:

Rioli foreshadows his exit

February 26, 2006

ESSENDON player Dean Rioli has forecast an end to his AFL career next year.
Rioli, whose 96-game career has been often hampered by injury, and whose current pre-season has been set back with knee problems, has said he will retire at the end of next season.
"Two more years will be enough," the 27-year-old Tiwi Islander, who plans to take his personal training business overseas, told the Northern Territory News.
"My business is off and running in Melbourne and we've just sold off in Ireland. So hopefully I'll be able to live in Europe and work on my business over there."
Rioli was one of several senior Bombers to miss their Friday night loss to the Brisbane Lions, but hoped to squeeze in a couple of practice games in upcoming weeks and be ready for round one.
"I still struggle through training a bit with the knee, but at least I get to train with the group again and can work on my skills," he said.
"Everything seems to have come good in the last two weeks, which is a good sign."

I don't think he meant it to be. :rolleyes:
He was pointing out the irony.
And yes, it is ironic.
Because, unfortunately, for him
his knee is shoddy.
And even more unfortunately,
he loves his turtle.

Jarryd_S said:
Not sure what's more ironic, that he owns it, or that it's doing well.
Sounds like a case of do as I say - not do as I do. :D
The greater irony is that HE (Rio) doesn't seem to think it's a bit off centre.
I mean, at least Renee Kink was a hairdresser - not a fitness expert ;)

PS I can't see Rio playing on in 2007 - he'll be nursed through this season
get his 100 games - the clubs qualifies for father/son - and that will be that, imo.

Jarryd_S said:
From The Age:

Rioli foreshadows his exit

February 26, 2006

ESSENDON player Dean Rioli has forecast an end to his AFL career next year.
Rioli, whose 96-game career has been often hampered by injury, and whose current pre-season has been set back with knee problems, has said he will retire at the end of next season.
"Two more years will be enough," the 27-year-old Tiwi Islander, who plans to take his personal training business overseas, told the Northern Territory News.
"My business is off and running in Melbourne and we've just sold off in Ireland. So hopefully I'll be able to live in Europe and work on my business over there."
Rioli was one of several senior Bombers to miss their Friday night loss to the Brisbane Lions, but hoped to squeeze in a couple of practice games in upcoming weeks and be ready for round one.
"I still struggle through training a bit with the knee, but at least I get to train with the group again and can work on my skills," he said.
"Everything seems to have come good in the last two weeks, which is a good sign."

And let me guess, Caroline Wilson wrote that article ? would figure actually. WOnt happen so sorry to dissapoint you. retirement after next season ? sorry but incorrect. 2010 season yes not 2007

Remove this Banner Ad

Retired #43: Dean Rioli - 100 and out

Back