Past 43. Will Setterfield - Traded to Essendon*

Remove this Banner Ad

Cripps Settlefield Dow Petrevski-Seton Walsh Cuningham Fisher Stocker Kennedy O'Brien
Best crop of young midfielders coming through at the same time we have ever had
The chance through development of adding Silvagni-mid Williamson-wing Pickett-wing/mid Garlett -wing in the midfield and across the wings. Also the unknown of who else we bring in over the next 2years only adds to the excitement of what's ahead.

I've said similar for more than 12 months and we keep adding to it. Add a mature gun next year and watch out.

Wow ... and that is truly something when you compare it to the boys coming through in the mid - late 70’s.
I'm looking at it more through the modern era since the introduction of the national draft and recruiting,
What SOS has done in his short time back at the club is amazing, past drafts were a real hit and miss and others absolutely putrid, imo this is by far the best crop of midfielders we've had come through at the one time👍

I've said similar for more than 12 months and we keep adding to it. Add a mature gun next year and watch out.
Spot on Soap Just puts a smile on the face seeing all of these talented kids coming through together, knowing they need a bit more time is no problem at all, you can see that is worth the wait👍

Spot on Soap Just puts a smile on the face seeing all of these talented kids coming through together, knowing they need a bit more time is no problem at all, you can see that is worth the wait👍

Been seeing it for a while and it wasn't just being "positive" ;). It's really there

Now about adding some mature top end talent to help them develop.

Setters is no-where near his peak aerobic capacity or size coming off his knee. Walsh OTOH wont get too much fitter (already a machine) but has a lot of room to fill out while maintaining his already elite tank.

Walsh will always have Setters for link play and second efforts; his give and go is already top notch. I reckon Setters will pip Walsh for power inside and marking once he fills out.

Both boys just need a few years in the system now, and a couple of good preseasons.

Wow its only a few years ago that we were having to compare Cripps ond Bontempelli . Now we can compare 2 of our own...thanks SOS

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree, today's crop is promising, but no Armytage-Bowen-Fargher-Gaggin-Gorman-McFarland-O'Brien-Williams
Slightly shaded by the year we were going to sign Pavlich, Pretzel boy and Mitch Thorpe in one preseason. Heady days

24 touches in 66% TOG impressive. Once he gets that up to around 80% he should be lodging around 30. DE was low, like Walsh, but I'm putting that down to it being his first game since round 19 in 2017 and against one of the flag favourites to boot.

Already one of my favourites.

24 touches in 66% TOG impressive. Once he gets that up to around 80% he should be lodging around 30. DE was low, like Walsh, but I'm putting that down to it being his first game since round 19 in 2017 and against one of the flag favourites to boot.

Already one of my favourites.
An important quality that both Setterfield and Walsh hold is that they know how to find the ball consistently. Both essentially first year players, but already exceeding what Fisher, Samo and Dow were producing in terms of possession numbers in their first years.

They both currently have a good base tank to work off to be able to get from contest to contest. This is one of the main things that the 3 aforementioned players require to go to the next level. We know Fisher, Samo and Dow are skilled, but they have and are learning how to find the ball more often.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past 43. Will Setterfield - Traded to Essendon*

Remove this Banner Ad

Back