Past #44: Farren Ray - retires after 209 AFL games (4 for NM) - thanks Faz Raz

Remove this Banner Ad

confused-jaguars-fan.gif

Surely the Rookie Draft is where you select a kid who might make it in the longer term. No he won't take games off those players but what long term value will he be likely to provide, which is what we should be looking to target in this draft.

Having said that, he is a North man now so welcome aboard Farren and all the very best.
Since the mature players been allowed to be picked up in Rookie Drafts, it has no longer been an event exclusively for young long shot kids.
Clubs have often used Rookie draft as an insurance pick, and this is a perfect example of it. As is Nahas, who has been on and off rookie list for the past couple of seasons, yet brought some great value to us.

The reasoning is clear. Depth and cheap depth at that. If we get a few injuries and his form warrants it, he will add something to the side. All our newly drafted midfielders aside (and who knows how ready they are), we don't have too much depth in outside midfield stocks. When Dal and Wells went down in round 2, Ray would have been a perfect player to bring in.

We were all disappointed when we picked up Nahas and I for one am willing to admit I was wrong there. Hopefully I get proven wrong again.

Goodness knows I'm used to being wrong, just ask my wife.

I wasn't disappointed with Nahas at the time. Met a need.

Aside from any opinion of Ray the main oddity here is the massive 'all in' gamble we're taking with 1 senior ruckman on the list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wasn't disappointed with Nahas at the time. Met a need.

Aside from any opinion of Ray the main oddity here is the massive 'all in' gamble we're taking with 1 senior ruckman on the list.
Maj can be promoted at any time. Brown and Petrie can do a job too.

I think we've got it covered well.

Has it ever crossed people's minds that the Nahas and Ray's of the world will be senior players at Werribee setting an example for our recent recruits?

Outside of our best 22 there is not a huge amount of AFL experience. Mullett about 50 games, McKenzie 25.
Not being helped by recruiting old men to continue to take games off the kids, IF THAT ENDS UP BEING THE CASE.

If we lost a midfielder the week before the final I'd rather have a 200 gamer with three Grand Finals playing than a kid on debut.

We could give games to the kids before the GF.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #44: Farren Ray - retires after 209 AFL games (4 for NM) - thanks Faz Raz

Remove this Banner Ad

Back