Past #44: Farren Ray - retires after 209 AFL games (4 for NM) - thanks Faz Raz

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think he will be near as bad a pickup as a lot of you are thinking.

He obviously won't be best 22 for the whole year, but he can be a solid contributor when he's needed.

The only reason he wasn't playing for us much this year is because we are at a stage of our development where it didn't make sense to playing all our older players. He was still clearly a level above in the VFL.

Although there have always been some question marks on his kicking, he was a seriously good player for a few years, when we were a strong side like you are now. He's one of the best, most courageous marks for his height going around as well.

Hopefully he plays a good role for you in the coming year, I would like to see him and Dal win something.

All the best

Who they drafted: Farren Ray (St Kilda), Majak Daw (North Melbourne)

Summary: After picking up five young draftees on Tuesday night in the NAB AFL Draft, along with three others 12 months ago, this year's preliminary finalists have opted to add depth to their midfield brigade with Ray. The ex-Saint and Bulldog brings with him 205 games of experience and will be able to slot into their side if they are hit with injuries. They've also stood by Daw, who is currently facing rape charges in court, having playing 16 games in four years with the club.

What the club says: "We're rapt to have been able to pick up Farren in the rookie draft and believe he will be a valuable addition. Farren will add some more depth, experience and leadership to our list. He is an elite runner and with the trading of Ryan Bastinac to the Lions, we felt Farren would give us more options and coverage in a wing role." – list manager Cameron Joyce

Experienced and a good runner..minimum wage. People need to chill.
Why would he be taking games off Dumont and the like? He needs to be promoted and he won't unless an opportunity opens up and he is banging the door down.

So what you're saying is ... this is not the time for gestures or machismo?

Surprised with the negativity toward farren.. If you play finals you'll be glad to have him.. Good leader, hard worker , gutsy team player..

He was a great player for us.. For a finals side he's a good get

He's a solid player and you know what your going to get with him, but because he is nearly 30 most people in here will bag the selection.

This is mainly due to the fact that he isn't some brand new shiny unknown 18 year old kid.

Now we can't fap over the new blokes 2 minute highlight reel and declare our disbelief in why he was overlooked in the main draft and hail him as a future hall of famer. It also doesn't allow us to bag the coach later in the year because the new bloke should be upgraded and spuds like Sam Gibson are just holding up his development.

Who they drafted: Farren Ray (St Kilda), Majak Daw (North Melbourne)

Summary: After picking up five young draftees on Tuesday night in the NAB AFL Draft, along with three others 12 months ago, this year's preliminary finalists have opted to add depth to their midfield brigade with Ray. The ex-Saint and Bulldog brings with him 205 games of experience and will be able to slot into their side if they are hit with injuries. They've also stood by Daw, who is currently facing rape charges in court, having playing 16 games in four years with the club.

What the club says: "We're rapt to have been able to pick up Farren in the rookie draft and believe he will be a valuable addition. Farren will add some more depth, experience and leadership to our list. He is an elite runner and with the trading of Ryan Bastinac to the Lions, we felt Farren would give us more options and coverage in a wing role." – list manager Cameron Joyce
Interesting.

Won't complain since it sounds fine.

More surprised than upset.

But can somebody explain to me why we still call this a "rookie" draft or we can put someone like Ray or Nahas (or even Daw) on the "rookie" list.

Are they rookies? seems stupid to me.

inb4 someone says "because AFL"

He's a solid player and you know what your going to get with him, but because he is nearly 30 most people in here will bag the selection.

This is mainly due to the fact that he isn't some brand new shiny unknown 18 year old kid.

Now we can't fap over the new blokes 2 minute highlight reel and declare our disbelief in why he was overlooked in the main draft and hail him as a future hall of famer. It also doesn't allow us to bag the coach later in the year because the new bloke should be upgraded and spuds like Sam Gibson are just holding up his development.
Somewhat simplistic and one-dimensional criticism.

Some guy on bookface is trying to argue that Faz will be automatic best 22 and he's better than Higgins. I didn't think our supporters were that stupid, how wrong I was... :rolleyes:

Sam Gibson is a poor man's Farren Ray.
So glad we got the original who is a better kick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Makes two of us.......
Augustine

More surprised than upset.

But can somebody explain to me why we still call this a "rookie" draft or we can put someone like Ray or Nahas (or even Daw) on the "rookie" list.

Are they rookies? seems stupid to me.

inb4 someone says "because AFL"

Clubs have a main list and a rookie list. Rookies get paid less and can't be selected for a senior game unless they're upgraded first. What you think the word rookie means is irrelevant, that's what it means in this context.

I thought it was a terrible idea. I still think so. But someone brought up Waite and I was sure that was a poor move too, so what do I know. Hope I'm proven just as wrong on this choice, and I'll be happy to welcome and cheer him regardless now he is - on paper at least to start with - a Shinboner.

Very glad to see that Faz got picked up, as he's so fit and durable that I have no doubt that he would have another 2-3 years of footy left in him if he's good enough and his experience and leadership will be invaluable for the young ones in the VFL, at a bare minimum.

He's a no-fuss type, who generally just quietly does his job week after week, whether that be in an offensive, or defensive (run with) outside role and his overhead marking (including consistently backing into packs with serious courage), is elite for someone who plays his sort of role. Kicking can be iffy, but he's also more comfortable on his non-preferred foot than most in the league are, which helps to make up for that to a degree and he has slippery pace.

In his first year with us after switching from WB, his performances/output went through the roof (http://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/F/Farren_Ray.html), so if that is the case again for you guys you could legit have someone who could play a lot of the year and contribute valuably to your team. It's not like he's that different to the Ray that was contributing consistently to our grand finals teams and it's also not like he's "over the hill".

Wish him well. :thumbsu:

Last edited:
I actually thoght he'd retired years ago.

Didn't.think he was actually still playing. .
His two seasons previous to this year (which was badly affected by the major hamstring injury he sustained in the NAB Challenge) were actually two of the best and most consistent of his career, averaging 21 disposals per game and taking over 100 marks in each of them.

His two seasons previous to this year (which was badly affected by the major hamstring injury he sustained in the NAB Challenge) were actually two of the best and most consistent of his career, averaging 21 disposals per game and taking over 100 marks in each of them.
What position did he play in those seasons?

What position did he play in those seasons?
Generally wing, which is where he's played most of his career with us. Can also give good drive and intercept marking off a HBF, but wing is definitely his most usual position and the role he's played his best footy in.

Generally wing, which is where he's played most of his career with us. Can also give good drive and intercept marking off a HBF, but wing is definitely his most usual position and the role he's played his best footy in.
Thanks mate. Don't mind the pick up at all especially when you consider the age of our wingers and Dal and Wells's injuries last year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #44: Farren Ray - retires after 209 AFL games (4 for NM) - thanks Faz Raz

Remove this Banner Ad

Back