Past #44: Farren Ray - retires after 209 AFL games (4 for NM) - thanks Faz Raz

Remove this Banner Ad

Haha.

Would've liked a young kid (especially considering a relative of mine went undrafted despite NMFC being in contact with him prior to the draft) but it doesn't bother me. For every Michael Firrito and Dean Cox there's hundreds of Max Warrens.

Let's see what he's got.

You would be surprised how often this happens. Not every player that is contacted by clubs gets picked up.
Years ago North told one of my mates that they were definitely going to pick him up only to not use any rookie picks.

Experienced and a good runner..minimum wage. People need to chill.
Why would he be taking games off Dumont and the like? He needs to be promoted and he won't unless an opportunity opens up and he is banging the door down.
Shhhhhh - logic is not welcome here!

We have heaps of kids on the list with talent.
Farren Ray is a rookie, he can't play unless we have injuries.
He's played finals footy and I'd rather see him play in a final if we have injuries than Fordham who has a lot to prove.
It's a management decision which makes heaps of sense.
there is also no way he'd be taking experience away from kids, if anything he will pass on experience.

Always liked him, better overhead than most, will make an excellent depth player.
Sorry to intrude, and whilst I know he divided our supporters, I think this isn't a terrible pick up, for depth
As the quoted post says, he is very good overhead, think he will surprise a few with his ability and bravery going back into a pack, and still plucks it

Anyway, I hope he goes well for you guys

We just took 6 kids. We are fine for the future.

Ray is backup. Something we lacked.

Anderson has been on an AFL list and played for the Hawks so he is not in the same category as a "kid". Picking another kid to complement the 5 we picked on Tuesday, means that we would have had just a slightly larger group of players coming through at a similar age.

If we wanted back up, why didn't we talk to someone like James Kelly and see if he was up to another year in the system? Surely as a three time premiership player he would be an ideal back up at the pointy end of the season.

As it is we have 31 players (including Anderson) on our senior list who have played 1 or more games, plus Robbie Nahas and Majak with some experience at AFL level.

Anyway, I'm not going to say any more on this topic apart from saying that I hope Farren has a great career for us, plays in a premiership team and conclusively proves me wrong.

People need to relax a bit though. He's a rookie pick. He's not taking games off anyone and he's there on minimum wage. Good insurance and big game experience
My sentiments exactly.:thumbsu:.. Welcome to North Melbourne Farren Ray. You are a North player now, good luck. :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Horace. It's hard to argue when you so selectively categorise to fit your argument. So I'm going to leave it. And point out you seemed pretty happy post announcement then seemed to let others opinion sway you.

As a depth selection he is ok but when you have only two true ruckman on your list, and your rookie backup may be deregistered before Christmas, I think a mature ruckman from Clayton South would have been a better list management decision.

As a depth selection he is ok but when you have only two true ruckman on your list, and your rookie backup may be deregistered before Christmas, I think a mature ruckman from Clayton South would have been a better list management decision.

agree, few years ago Brad said that most clubs need a minimum of 3 ruckman on the list

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #44: Farren Ray - retires after 209 AFL games (4 for NM) - thanks Faz Raz

Remove this Banner Ad

Back