Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
At pick 16 the Sydney Swans select AA U18 ruck Will Green

WILL GREEN

Will Green.jpg

Date of Birth: 08/09/2005 ; Height: 204cm
Draft: #16 - 2023
Recruited From: Northern Knights

A developing tall, Green showcased his potential with three promising performances
as Metro's go-to. He proved hard to move in the ruck, displaying outstanding craft while also expanding his game
around the ground. There, he clunked clean marks at the highest point and was mobile enough to lay tackles. The
Northern Knights captain averaged 12 touches and 24 hitouts.

Last edited:
Haven't seen a lot of Will in the club stuff but I feel a good vibe. Looks a bit like a baby giraffe but surprisingly well coordinated, doesn't shirk the contact with the mature bodies, looks as if he has a clue or two in the forward line and seems to be enjoying himself. Can't wait to see him running around at BISP.
He lays a lot of tackles and gets his own ball, well at 18 level he did. Hoping it translates.

Will gets his first game as starting ruck against Frankston, with Stretch and Ladhams out of the team.

Only other tall to help him out is Buller
Honestly i like this path of development yes we would love to see him play 20 odd games of VFL as the starting ruck but think you need to take it slow and not cause burn out or make him hit the rookie wall. Feel like if we can get 20 games out of him this year and 4-5 are full time rucks another 5-10 are as the secondary ruck and the other games are just a forward role then thats good as this will be 3-4 years of growth and development before he is ready tbh

In last year's draft Ethan Read was the standout ruck and then Will Green turned out to be the first among three strong next-best options (the others were Goad and Mitch Edwards). Last week Green faced Goad in the reserves and I would say Green took home the chocolates. He had more impact and showed better skills. However, to be fair, Goad was rated because of his athleticism and is making a transition from a background playing other sports so is probably catching up when it comes to footy.

Thought I would bump this thread, because I think - or maybe hope - Green will be one player who particularly benefits from what is hopefully a new coaching regime that focuses on player development in the VFL, not just wins.

Green this year was tinkered with a lot. Played main ruck, played on the wing, played deep forward, and played down back. I think this is OK for a first year ruck - he was obviously going to be quite raw, so instead of focusing on output & complete performances I understand why we focused just on seeing what Green might or might not be able to do as a footballer in the future.

But I wouldn't want this to be the approach with Green for much longer. I hope we settle on a role for him - ideally lead ruck - and just let him find his feet in it with consistent game time in it. Because I look at McAndrew, and whilst he may or may not be good enough anyway, we certainly haven't done him any favours making him just a 'bitsa' - spends a bit of time rucking, then a bit of time forward, and a lot of time on the bench to fit in Ladhams' and Green's rotations.

So I think a good and reasonable goal for Green would be to add more size to his frame and aim for equal rucking duties in the VFL next season. Anything more, given Ladhams and McAndrew(?)'s expected spots on the list next year, would be a bonus for Green.

Thought I would bump this thread, because I think - or maybe hope - Green will be one player who particularly benefits from what is hopefully a new coaching regime that focuses on player development in the VFL, not just wins.

Green this year was tinkered with a lot. Played main ruck, played on the wing, played deep forward, and played down back. I think this is OK for a first year ruck - he was obviously going to be quite raw, so instead of focusing on output & complete performances I understand why we focused just on seeing what Green might or might not be able to do as a footballer in the future.

But I wouldn't want this to be the approach with Green for much longer. I hope we settle on a role for him - ideally lead ruck - and just let him find his feet in it with consistent game time in it. Because I look at McAndrew, and whilst he may or may not be good enough anyway, we certainly haven't done him any favours making him just a 'bitsa' - spends a bit of time rucking, then a bit of time forward, and a lot of time on the bench to fit in Ladhams' and Green's rotations.

So I think a good and reasonable goal for Green would be to add more size to his frame and aim for equal rucking duties in the VFL next season. Anything more, given Ladhams and McAndrew(?)'s expected spots on the list next year, would be a bonus for Green.
Agree i think him playing a genuine 50% ruck time with 5-6 games as the lead ruck is what i would hope happens next year. If they trial him in different secondary roles then thats fine whether that be as a forward or key defender im not too fussed. More fussed about him building up the ruck time given that its totally different rucking in the VFL/AFL compared to junior footy

I wonder what the optimum mix of minutes, blocks and matches will be to stretch Green's ability without breaking it. I agree that optimising his development is one of our priorities.
Ladhams just needs to stay sharp.
Difficult to see where Stretch fits long term.

Honestly i like this path of development yes we would love to see him play 20 odd games of VFL as the starting ruck but think you need to take it slow and not cause burn out or make him hit the rookie wall. Feel like if we can get 20 games out of him this year and 4-5 are full time rucks another 5-10 are as the secondary ruck and the other games are just a forward role then thats good as this will be 3-4 years of growth and development before he is ready tbh
Well that didn't happen. Played about 3 games as second ruck. The same happened to Big Mac last year, he was played as a back up ruck. Yet his HO to advantage was better, far better than Ladhams. I think Ladhams is a dud. Not smart enough for AFL & only just good at VFL. He would have felt at home in the old VFA I think. Lose Ladhams & bank on the future. I think Dean Cox is producing two superb rucks for us into the future.

On CPH2471 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I agree on Big Mac. He is the best tap ruck we have, including Grundy. His taps are are super when they actually let him loose. But they don't often enough. For Big Mac & Green to develop, Ladhams has to go.

Well that didn't happen. Played about 3 games as second ruck. The same happened to Big Mac last year, he was played as a back up ruck. Yet his HO to advantage was better, far better than Ladhams. I think Ladhams is a dud. Not smart enough for AFL & only just good at VFL. He would have felt at home in the old VFA I think. Lose Ladhams & bank on the future. I think Dean Cox is producing two superb rucks for us into the future.

Yep pretty sure the original comment was right after the Frankstown main ruck game and he main rucked no other games In the end played 18 games soloed 1 game and secondary rucked 4 games. Still got him a year of games in the VFL uninjured and now a full offseason in the gym should help him get to the stage he can 50/50 ruck next year

I wonder what the optimum mix of minutes, blocks and matches will be to stretch Green's ability without breaking it. I agree that optimising his development is one of our priorities.
I think if the Swans could, they would trade Ladhams. I think I heard they offered him up but he did not want to go anywhere.
Makes sense to play Stretch and Green solely in the ruck. Develop both of them. Ladhams is great backup if Grundy goes down. But his sunset at the Swans is the end of 2025.

Really good post caesar88

I particularly like your first para.

The VFL side last year did my head in, with AFL listed players seemingly not considered worthy of a place in the midfield, whilst top-up players were.

Green was understandably thrown around a bit last year, because he still had the physique of Bambi.

However, if he’s done the hard yards in the off season, surely more ruck time beckons this year.

I don’t think there too many players to get excited about in our VFL side - I’m hoping this year sees Green emerge as one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The VFL side last year did my head in, with AFL listed players seemingly not considered worthy of a place in the midfield, whilst top-up players were.

Green was understandably thrown around a bit last year, because he still had the physique of Bambi.

However, if he’s done the hard yards in the off season, surely more ruck time beckons this year.

I don’t think there too many players to get excited about in our VFL side - I’m hoping this year sees Green emerge as one.
The VFL side only really has Green, Snell, Edwards, Hanily, Warner, Gus (Cleary) that im excited for. Given that there is suppose to be around 20 players Swans listed in the VFL each week its disappointing that only 6/7 are exciting for the future

I just like caesar88 full stop. Top bloke is tops

I can't see why. 88 has very bad taste in music.
Everyone has their faults, but with a little bit of love and care, we can change him dude.

Be good if the AFL had a loan system. We could loan Stretch to a SANFL team to get game time while giving Green minutes and keeping Ladhams sharp.

I’m really not sure about Green (or McAndrew, come to that) notwithstanding the whole ‘it takes longer for tall guys to develop’ thing but you’re bang on about how the change in coaching should help.

Truslove was terrible regarding player development and pretty much anything would be an improvement on him.

Be good if the AFL had a loan system. We could loan Stretch to a SANFL team to get game time while giving Green minutes and keeping Ladhams sharp.
I went to the band Heart for loan advice thinking they'd be experts, but they weren't very good. First thing they asked me was, "How do I get you a loan?"

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #45 Will Green

Remove this Banner Ad

Back