Play Nice 45th President of the United States: Donald Trump - Part 13: Make America Golf Again

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShanDog

Cancelled
Podcaster
Aug 12, 2012
sv_cheats 1
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers
Mod Notice

The level of vitriol and frankly toxic culture in this thread is getting out of hand. As such, the thread will be monitored actively for posters who drag down the quality of posting for all others, and they will have their access to the thread removed.

Further, reference to TDS (Trump Derangement Syndrome) and its counterpart 'Trumpanzee' or anything similar will no longer be allowed. Much like other tropes of that nature, they serves as a conversational barrier and fall-back point for people to simply sling mud. That's unacceptable.

As always, please submit ideas for the thread title by tagging me! Winner announced when I get around to it.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Where it mentioned that collateral damage acceptable? You all have your outrage meters set to 11.
If you are being peaceful I think you'll be fine. If your throwing bricks or smashing up a kerb to throw at police you might be in trouble.
That is clearly not the case in the current situation.
There are a myriad of examples of police being heavy handed towards peaceful protestors in the past few days. Teargas, beatings, etc. In many cities police have done a fanstastic job, and in many others they have inflamed tensions and initiated the violence.

Whilst there are some anarchists causing a lot of damage, I think people do understand it is happening and recognize its more opportunists. I think what is being overplayed is lumping all the anarchists to one particular group (i.e. ANTIFA) and making it a partisan issue. Looters and destructive elements are those embracing opportunism which is not a partisan matter.

Problem now is the establishment are at risk of not recognizing the difference between those anarchists and protesters then applying the same tactic to inflame the situation.
the murky part is, due to antifa having no fixed address or main points of contact - and they hide behind the "anti-fascist" logo, that a lot are now wanting to identify as antifa.

"im anti-fascist so i'm antifa".

"Ok well the looters and those causing violence - antifa - need to be stopped"

"oh no, that's not antifa, they're just opportunists".

Whoever they are, they ruined the protests for everyone and much like the police force - 'a few bad apples' have way too much influence.

That is clearly not the case in the current situation.
There are a myriad of examples of police being heavy handed towards peaceful protestors in the past few days. Teargas, beatings, etc. In many cities police have done a fanstastic job, and in many others they have inflamed tensions and initiated the violence.

So do you just stand by and let the violent protesters run wild until they have run out of steam or have destroyed everything standing.

I know everyone has a right to protest but once you realise it has been overtaken by a violent element I would get the **** out of there. People just seem to want to stand around with their phones out trying to get the best YouTube vid to upload or tweet.

the murky part is, due to antifa having no fixed address or main points of contact - and they hide behind the "anti-fascist" logo, that a lot are now wanting to identify as antifa.

"im anti-fascist so i'm antifa".

"Ok well the looters and those causing violence - antifa - need to be stopped"

"oh no, that's not antifa, they're just opportunists".

Whoever they are, they ruined the protests for everyone and much like the police force - 'a few bad apples' have way too much influence.

Like I said, they are involved and its crap however they are not the only opportunists looking to pick a fight and burn things. But to say that its only them is finding trying to attribute political leanings and logic to situation ruled by anarchy (where logic and political narratives don't apply).

An American civil war between far left anarchists and the general population? You are cooked.
the sheer barracking for drama ITT is pretty sad imo.

willing to see people hurt and lives loss because they don't like the president.

I really empathise with American people - usually great value and hard workers. I hope they come out of this better. all the pollies can gagf though.

the sheer barracking for drama ITT is pretty sad imo.

willing to see people hurt and lives loss because they don't like the president.

I really empathise with American people - usually great value and hard workers. I hope they come out of this better. all the pollies can gagf though.
Generally the violence etc seems to be cheered for by people who are privileged and far removed from it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You are acting as if it needs to be spelled out to you. After it looked like Derek Chauvin was going to get off after 'additional video evidence' there was rage toward Trump. I'm not digging up the Tweets/footage/articles as it's too far deep now. If you think nobody was talking about Trump then you're delusional.
Well, if people wanted Trump to suspend due process, that would be misguided. But I haven't seen that. The link you posted doesn't show that.

You're lumping everything into one argument - nowhere did I say that was Obamas fault.
So why is it relevant?

It's not a general critique, it's a completely rational assessment from someone who has no ties to either party. He passed basic policies, broke promises and dropped bombs - a typical US president. If you want a detailed analysis you can go through my posts and pick apart what I've said about his term instead of claiming this particular analysis is shallow. Jesus, even the most die-hard Democratic commentators are looking back on his term unfavourably now - listen to podcasts of guys like Jimmy Dore, Kyle Kulinski, even TYT & Shaun King have criticised him recently.
How can you say this isn't a general critique?

As for those commentators, these guys are hardly Democrats in the sense of supporting the party. Jimmy Dore, for example, despises the Democrats.

Their critique of Obama isn't unimpeachable just because they're of the left.

You only consider it an impossible standard because you accept the standard as it is. Whereas I believe if you build the most successful Presidential campaign selling hope like nobody has ever seen before, and voted into 2 terms by 2 landslides you should strive to be better than your predecessor.
Obama was better than his predecessor.

I say you hold Obama to an impossible standard because you can't establish that standard precisely.

This year Obama directly influenced the knifing of Bernie Sanders with primaries still to run - who had worked tirelessly to build a successful campaign off public donations. He'd been working for 4 years and was the favourite, again (not to mention Trump is shit scared of Sanders). Obama wanted Biden in and told Bernie to drop out.
Well, firstly, Sanders isn't a Democrat, so the suggestion that Obama "knifed" someone in his own party is wide of the mark.

Secondly, what exactly happened during the primaries that you consider unfair?

Sanders had done well early on because the moderate vote was split 3 or 4 ways. Those other moderates then dropped out, making it Biden v Sanders, and Biden won easily once that happened. You call that "knifing". I call that a fair fight between the two front runners.

Or do you think it would only have been fair if the likes of Buttigieg, Klobuchar etc had stayed in, splitting the vote that would otherwise likely go to Biden?

And yeah Sanders then dropped out once it became clear he wasn't going to get the most delegates.

What is your complaint here exactly?

I can't directly relate Obama to this but the 2016 primaries were rigged, given how tight tight tight clinton and obama are, I dare say he has his hands all over it. Jump on WikiLeaks and have a read if you are interested.
I agree Sanders was treated badly in 2016 but as you say, Obama's involvement in that would be speculative.

That aside, is it really surprising that a political party would want one of its members to get the nomination? Isn't a party entitled to have a preference for one of its own over an independent? Again, I agree Sanders was treated badly but that preference for one of their own doesn't strike me as unreasonable.

Like I said, they are involved and its crap however they are not the only opportunists looking to pick a fight and burn things. But to say that its only them is finding trying to attribute political leanings and logic to situation ruled by anarchy (where logic and political narratives don't apply).
absolutely not, but they're the only ones with a name attached to them so call them out.

much like alt-right groups should be called out - however we know trump doesn't do that.

as i said yesterday they are not the problem but they definitely are a problem.

did that just look like they were "just fine"?

Were there just peaceful protesters being attacked. Why were families even there. Why would you take your family there in that situation where they set fire to a church and protesters were trying to break barriers. You really need to direct your outrage at those that made the situation violent and dangerous.

absolutely not, but they're the only ones with a name attached to them so call them out.

much like alt-right groups should be called out - however we know trump doesn't do that.

as i said yesterday they are not the problem but they definitely are a problem.
That is true - I just take exception to the narrative being put to place the lions share of blame for political expediency as Donald does.

Were there just peaceful protesters being attacked. Why were families even there. Why would you take your family there in that situation where they set fire to a church and protesters were trying to break barriers. You really need to direct your outrage at those that made the situation violent and dangerous.
101356326_10158292491839650_863935948650446848_o.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back