Player Watch #46: Robert Hansen Jnr - Extends to End 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

I think he's gotten better, is hitting the scoreboard, is applying some pressure. He needs a strong pre-season and should get one, whether it is with us or with one of the WA clubs.

Good to see a few more people starting to see it with RHJ.
I get that he hasn’t set the world on fire but I think he’s building really nicely game on game. He’s played 7 games and the fact some were willing to write him off after his first game this year was bloody mind boggling.

No idea if he makes it but I think he’s shown enough for another year.

Yeah, he's on a clear trajectory of improvement hey.

Imo people forget that he's played some really high quality games at VFL level. Kicked 4 a couple of times, and playing as a proper small forward as well- when confident he has great skills, agility and football smarts. Absolutely worth persisting with- the class is there, the confidence and physical strength needs work.

I still don't see it. But he is the best option we have.

Cooper appears gone. Drury is as vanilla as they come. Sausage is a wait and see and doesn't even play in Bobby Lachie's position.

RHJ basically gets another year by default.
Without getting into an argument as I agree we should keep him - none of those players are small forwards so not really competing with RHJ. I'd put them all firmly in the mid sized class.

Any calls to delist at this stage are crazy.

Like quite a few others, he might not be our future 'September' small forward, but we need someone to play the role every week until we get there. He won't stop us drafting or trading in a gun if we can find one.

He's taken significant steps forward at VFL level, and improved on each showing at senior level.

I like him simply off the fact that he can make the freaking ball do what he wants it to do, unlike plenty of his mates.

I haven't seen it highlighted here, but his mark and F50 entry that resulted in Xerri's mark and goal was spot on, all X had to do was stick his hands up and it was there for him. If he'd hit that set shot he would have had 3.

Any calls to delist at this stage are crazy.

Like quite a few others, he might not be our future 'September' small forward, but we need someone to play the role every week until we get there. He won't stop us drafting or trading in a gun if we can find one.

He's taken significant steps forward at VFL level, and improved on each showing at senior level.

I like him simply off the fact that he can make the freaking ball do what he wants it to do, unlike plenty of his mates.

I haven't seen it highlighted here, but his mark and F50 entry that resulted in Xerri's mark and goal was spot on, all X had to do was stick his hands up and it was there for him. If he'd hit that set shot he would have had 3.
Same from me.

Extremely low investment and we need his type, in fact we need an extra one like him and sure, if a better option comes along at some point we can jump on it. Similar to you I agree on having certain players as structural ones, we wouldn't willingly run out without a ruckman and I see this as a similar gap.

When the game was alive early he was just about everywhere. Had so much involvement.

At one point I wanted us to get it in his hands at all costs. When he has possession of the ball, good things will happen.

It's got to the point now that I'm anticipating his presence around the contest. Really good signs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On the replay he was in our best 3.

Low bar but it's something.
I mean that's more than something. What's that Clarkson says about finding players that will stand up when required - a 7 game lightweight putting in a good shift, even when his mates are checking out Flight Centre for September is definitely something.

Without getting into an argument as I agree we should keep him - none of those players are small forwards so not really competing with RHJ. I'd put them all firmly in the mid sized class.
Drury is about 177cm and Cooper is 180. That's small for a forward.

Drury is about 177cm and Cooper is 180. That's small for a forward.
Granted small in height yes, they don't play as small forwards though. Cooper even less so than Drury but all are more lead up / linking players. Not fast enough to be gun modern small forwards.

I’d give him two and triggers for another two if he can convince Liam Ryan to come across..

I haven't watched as much VFL as I should have this year, and haven't been to impressed with his prior AFL games, but he was definitely showing something this weekend (and that something was more than a lot of player's did that day). Retaining him makes a lot of sense.
Yes but hopefully he plays this week against the hawks and Clarko should be smart enough to play the youngsters at end of round.

Robert Hansen Jnr Stats Against Dogs:

12 Touches
9 Kicks
3 Handballs
3 Tackles
2 Goals 1 Behind
58 Fantasy Points.

Shows that he did reveal his talent a bit but would love to see how he goes against Hawks this Sat afternoon.

If Larkey doesn't get up, simplify his role by being at the feet of Teakle/Pink/Maley/whoever the **** pulls on the jumper.

We need accountability in opposition backlines otherwise we're just witches hats like last week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #46: Robert Hansen Jnr - Extends to End 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back