Player Watch #5: Christian Petracca – Norm Smith Medallist, 4x All-Australian and 2x Best and Fairest (re-commits to Melbourne)

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah nah getting cut open and watching yourself bleed internally for hours on end probably ain't a fun experience, reckon I can give him a pass on that one
Yeah **** that sounds cooked. Fair enough you'd want a big break after that

Bit surprised at the rush to push Trac out the door. Hope the latest account of his injury and surgery make a few reconsider.

From my point of view he's had a bloody rough time and really isn't looking forward to getting back into an environment which obviously isn't great at the moment. Totally understandable.

Get a new coaching group in and give him and the rest of them a fresh start.

Bit surprised at the rush to push Trac out the door. Hope the latest account of his injury and surgery make a few reconsider.

From my point of view he's had a bloody rough time and really isn't looking forward to getting back into an environment which obviously isn't great at the moment. Totally understandable.

Get a new coaching group in and give him and the rest of them a fresh start.
I'd happily keep him if he was keen to stay but it's increasingly sounds like this is a bridge that cannot be mended. If he's lost faith in the club in the wake of the mishandling of his injury I don't blame him at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Conspiracy theorist in me is adding 1+1 and coming up with Yoko Ono… At least in my mind that’s the simplest explanation for why ‘growing brand Trac’ (Trac 5 pty ltd) is getting a run in the media…
I have no doubt Yoko is playing a part but still doesn't excuse the club from the cluster**** they've created.

Trading Petracca would change the whole club strategy you’d think. We can’t rely on an aging Gawn, May and Viney and we certainly can’t relay on Oliver right now. We would need to go through a full rebuild.

I’m disappointed in Trac to be honest. I think he’s using circumstances to try to create an out for selfish reasons, when he should be thinking ok, we had a down year, what can I do to contribute to us getting back up there.

He signed the big contract and I’m not comfortable with the reasonings at the moment.

I have no doubt Yoko is playing a part but still doesn't excuse the club from the cluster**** they've created.

Not at all. Club has serious issues (burn it to the ground and put us out of our misery please) and he has been through a bit. My own speculation is that a bit of self-serving pillow talk has swayed the mind of a simpleton.

Trading Petracca would change the whole club strategy you’d think. We can’t rely on an aging Gawn, May and Viney and we certainly can’t relay on Oliver right now. We would need to go through a full rebuild.

I’m disappointed in Trac to be honest. I think he’s using circumstances to try to create an out for selfish reasons, when he should be thinking ok, we had a down year, what can I do to contribute to us getting back up there.

He signed the big contract and I’m not comfortable with the reasonings at the moment.
Like a lot of players in this age bracket they start thinking of where the next flag could come from. I think he knows we are done.

Coming in peace. Unfortunately for you guys, with no footy this week, I expect this will be the big story over the next couple of weeks.
Even as a Lions man, feeling for the Dees supporters atm with the Tracc situation.
The ordeal with the surgery sounds horrific, and I agree with the poster who said some pillow talk might be getting into his head. In my experience, often those around us are angrier at things like this being mishandled than we are ourselves. So while I'm sure that is frustrating for you guys, please remember (if the reports are true) she was told to come see her partner at 3am because he might not make it. She has a right to be angry unfortunately.
The current situation your team is in, does make me wonder if Tracc is using this as a reason to force his way out and try to go to a club that could be contending for the next couple of years. Whether that is just a bonus rather than the driving factor though, who knows?
As for the trade, I just don't see what could be offered for Tracc in fairish compensation and who from the big Vic clubs he is talking about could be talked into getting traded to you guys. But I am also not sure what good comes out of holding any player to their contract.
Is there a chance upper management asks him to give them a year while they make some changes around the club to fix some of the issues that seem to be the cause of contention?
He will never end up at my club so from a selfish point of view I hope you hang on to him, rather than him going to a Geelong, Collingwood or Carlton where he could easily be the difference between taking part in a GF and winning a GF as you guys know better than anyone.

If he wants to go to another club to get away from his mismanagement, fair enough. But he still has a five year contract so we should get the best deal for him. If he only wants to go to a contender he's probably using it as an excuse to get where he wants.

We won't be needing a full rebuild, such as the one Richmond are looking at.

But we do need 'urgently', to get back onto the pathway of draftees, to build from underneath.
Some will be ready to go from Rnd1... in the senior team, and others will take some time to develop.

... see the Harley Reids and Caleb Windsor's.

Early picks are ready, soon after.

Old mate Purple having a crack:

And as for Brand Petracca's ideal-world hopes of landing at Collingwood, the Magpies have zero trade currency. Besides, they already have on their books a footballer with a far bigger brand. It's called Brand Daicos, although that brand has come to Nick Daicos mainly through football, not a need to tell people about it.

When Brand Petracca signed his contract extension in 2021, the Demons published a four-and-a-half minute interview with him, where he spoke of a love for the club as well as making a heartfelt reference to former captain Nathan Jones. Petracca's desire to be a one-club player lasted just three seasons more. Can't wait to hear why.

Potato it is horrific and I’d be feeling sorry for him, even angry if he was staying but I can’t feel like he’s hedging the experience to get out and the kicker for me is that id say that feeling has been around for a while for him. Before the media s**t storm.
I agree its been around for longer than that, likely started when the coach refused to discipline certain individuals last year and hold the entire playing group to the same standard. Was only a matter of time before someone blew up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #5: Christian Petracca – Norm Smith Medallist, 4x All-Australian and 2x Best and Fairest (re-commits to Melbourne)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back