5 minute warning

Remove this Banner Ad

Captain Wacky said:
Agree. I've never heard anyone say a good thing about it.

I reckon it's great. Everyone is saying they hate things about the new game, well that's one of them for me.

I despise the fact that we have a countdown clock like the basketball. The 5 min warning means that to-the-very-last-second both teams are in the hunt in a close finish.

Get rid of the countdown clock, get rid of the shot clock, that's been the worst "innovation" in TV coverage this year.

Who cares about the shot clock anyway - it's totally ignored by players and umpires.

But they should never introduce a countdown clock at the game. I like 10's 5 minutes warning. Adds more excitement

absolutely hate tens stupid 5 min warning.you dont know when the siren will go and when it sounds it nearly gives me a heart attack.

kosifantutti said:
I can't understand why they display a count down clock on the screen but all the references made by commentators are to a count up clock.

eg. "Collingwood hasn't kicked a goal since the 23rd minute of the first quarter"

What does that mean when a clock counts down from 20 minutes?

Spot on... For anyone who only occasionally watches AFL, it's a little confusing. Count up clock on TV is the way to go...

piro* said:
absolutely hate tens stupid 5 min warning.you dont know when the siren will go and when it sounds it nearly gives me a heart attack.
i rekon!! it sounds like some lazer/explosion and i like my footy up loud on the T.V so i duck for cover everytime i hear it

I like not knowing how much time is left..I also think coaches shouldnt know how much time is left either..too much of our game is controlled already we are becoming like americans and thier sport we want to control everything....I like the drama of not knowing...it adds excitement.

I have nothing against the 5 minute warning, but if they're going to have a countup clock then have it all game. And don't have Quarters telling us how long is left every 5 seconds either, it kills the point of the 5 minute warning.

dodgyJim said:
and their shot at goal countdown clock.

that was only brought in for lloydy and fev. neither are playing in the finals and the umps never really bothered with it anyway.
They brought it in to show that the umpires never actually enforce the shot clock.

I like the countdown clock, there's more suspense in the dying minutes of the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

mdunn27 said:
Its a great innovation, makes every little play mean something toward the end

Adds to my viewing, keep it

Agree entirely.

Those of you who think it sucks need to do one of two things.

1. Go to a game, and see how it feels sitting there in a close one where you dont know how much time is left. 10 have done a good job in emulating that feeling.

2. Support basketball.

GoldenSky said:
Well even with the count-up clock its not that hard to guess when the siren will go. :rolleyes:
Guess as in, youre sitting there in a close one going "come on, go you bastard.,.. blow the bloody siren"... Thats errrr kinda the idea of it.

This is the 21st Century. TV viewers should have the comfort of knowing the time remaining.
white-wine-glass-195x280.jpg

The only people that like this are the die-hard fans on this site who think that their side is so great they can snatch victory with only seconds to go. :rolleyes:
Idiot. That is WHY we watch football. The feeling you get when you win a close one, when your team kicks the winning goal before the siren. Not to see em belt the opposition by 10 goals. Fun that is, but it doesnt make your heart stop.

Remember last year.... Sydney vs Geelong....Nick Davis?
aflswans_wideweb__430x264.jpg

I can still remember Steven Alessio kicking the winning goal with seconds remaining against Sydney 5 years back! Ive been to many games, many wins.... but that one, a 'nothing' home and away game Ill always remember.

The average footy viewer hates it.
I highly doubt that personally. You should go to a game mate. It's a different experience.

They try to be too fancy with their on screen displays like the Americans do for that pansy arse sport they call Grid Iron, another thing that annoys me is the player match-ups where they do those 3D spinning info cards, give me the good ol' bird's view with names only anyday.

Ari said:
I can still remember Steven Alessio kicking the winning goal with seconds remaining against Sydney 5 years back! Ive been to many games, many wins.... but that one, a 'nothing' home and away game Ill always remember.

I'll never forget that one. Absolute devastation. We were about 6 in front during the last quarter.

There are two issues here.. countdown vs count up clocks and the shot clock.

IMHO, the five minute warning is a farce. Ch10 should make up their mind and either go with a countdown clock or a count up clock. Either/Or, it makes no difference. The need to pick ONE and go with it - changing from one to the other 5 minutes before the end of the game is just plain stupid.

The shot clock was introduced as a result of the AFL changing one of their interpretations (the time permitted for a shot on goal after a mark). It was a dopey introduction, given that the umpires couldn't see it anyway. The umpires pretty much chose to ignore it from day one, as they have with most of the other changes to the rules interpretations. Remember back to the beginning of the season, when holding a player up after a mark was an immediate 50m penalty? Umpires now ignore that particular interpretation and sanity has prevailed. Scratch that particular "innovation" too.

I like the idea of not knowing how long there is to go in a game. It adds to the tension and excitement.

The shot clock is stupid. If the rule was enforced it would be a different matter.

Is the shot clock rule going to reviewed for next year knowing that it was never enforced this year?

Bushy.

I love the 5 Minute Warning, but I think it should be used with discretion

for example, there was no need for the five minute warning in either of last weekend's game, but it completely added to the spectacle the week before in the Sydney v West Coast game.

personally, if I think it's gonna be close, I always note the time the 5 minute warning came up (eg: 21.05) and you can get a fair idea of when the siren will sound by taking into account the amount of goals, ballups etc (as a general rule, the last 5 minutes of a close game will take around 8-9 minutes to complete)

I don't see the use of it when a team is leading by 10 goals, but it makes close games just that little bit more special. would Leo Barry's mark have been so special if we'd known there was only a couple of seconds on the clock? would Nick Davis' goal have been so magic if we'd known he had another 4 seconds to complete the play? how about James Hird's matchwinner against the Eagles in 2004? Corey Jones' last gasp goal at the SCG?

all of these moments aired on Ten. can you think of any thrillers that involved Nine's countdown clock?

I sure can't

the 5 minute warning leaves you on the edge of your seat right up until the siren, and the footy is all the more memorable for it

The 5 minute warning is an excellent concept.

The shot clock is a waste of time, can't believe that they did not just drop it after the first few rounds when it was obvious that the rule was not going to be policed.

5 minute warning - matter of personal taste, as this thread shows. You can't please everyone. Personally I prefer not knowing how long there is to go. OK, if my team is defending a slim lead I like the reassurance that "it's over" but in every other situation I prefer to not know.

I just wish they'd get rid of the stupid "gun going off" when they put it up. Americanisation, anyone?

And to all the people who think the shot clock is a waster of time because "it doesn't get enforced" - you need to re-check that rule. The shot clock expires when the player begins his runup, not when he kicks the ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

5 minute warning

Remove this Banner Ad

Back