Player Watch #50: Ben Brown – retired

Remove this Banner Ad

Cant blame Brown for sticking round when the club was dumb enough to give him that deal. Not going to miss him but he got the job done when it mattered in September 2021 and for that im grateful. During his time at the club he was our best kick going inside 50, seriously, and its not even close. **** we have some great kicks hey.

What does button Byron have to do with it?
Brown got a farewell year already

We gave Byron a farewell game even though the bloke was fatter than Oliver and only at the club for a couple years - it was the right call then, as it is now. I'd also give Hunter a 200th game and send him off.

I don't have an issue with you saying that. But coming in here after he announced his retirement and writing "good riddance" just comes across childish and ridiculous.

Righto and big footy is such a mature adult website to begin with.
It was a joke, maybe lighten up a little. It's a retirement thread for a 45 game Melbourne player not a funeral

We gave Byron a farewell game even though the bloke was fatter than Oliver and only at the club for a couple years - it was the right call then, as it is now. I'd also give Hunter a 200th game and send him off.
I didn't see anyone here furious there was no send off game for Jordan or Harmes before they were traded?
Just don't get it, farewell games should be reserved for club legends.

No?

Jordan and Harmes didnt' play in 2023 because they weren't best 22 and we were in contention - now we are crap why wouldn't we give guys a sendoff?
I personally rather see Jefferson given a go with Brown and Woey rather than Billings Brown etc
Give them a taste of next year rather than a meaningless farewell game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Club has been pretty clear they don't think Jeffo is ready, he won't play this weekend.
You asked what I thought should happen not what will happen. I doubt either Jefferson or Brown will play based on our 'still trying to finish strong ' mantra

You asked what I thought should happen not what will happen. I doubt either Jefferson or Brown will play based on our 'still trying to finish strong ' mantra
Trying to ruin over draft position mantra. Its such a dumb concept, you can still try and win but at the same time you could play some kids instead of the same old hacks.

For what its worth I appreciate Ben Browns contribution during his time with the club but dont think he should get a farewell game.

Nibbler is a different case entirely as we drafted, developed him and sacrificed himself for the team that many times I have lost count.

That was rather lovely.

Funny to think he was a mature age recruit snapped up with a pretty low pick that came within a goal or two of two Coleman medals. And apparently kicked more goals in a three year period than anyone else over those three years.

That was rather lovely.

Funny to think he was a mature age recruit snapped up with a pretty low pick that came within a goal or two of two Coleman medals. And apparently kicked more goals in a three year period than anyone else over those three years.
His road to the draft is pretty inspiring. ACL in his draft year moved to Victoria to play VFL and get himself noticed.

Always a premiership player. Great person. Helped us win a flag. Suffered a bit from our inability to hit him on the chest and find him space. Clearly knee issues hampered him as well. Clearly past his best last couple of years. Hopefully the club keeps him on in some capacity? AFLW or goal kicking? All the best BBB

Always a premiership player. Great person. Helped us win a flag. Suffered a bit from our inability to hit him on the chest and find him space. Clearly knee issues hampered him as well. Clearly past his best last couple of years. Hopefully the club keeps him on in some capacity? AFLW or goal kicking? All the best BBB
AFLW team - he’s staying on at least for next year

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #50: Ben Brown – retired

Remove this Banner Ad

Back