Player Watch #51 Jacob Blight - Re-Signed for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

He has played one game mate. There is zero indication that we will be a premiership defender calibre player yet. Good signs. With your Rance, Grimes, Weitering, May, Stewart (I could go on) you are not winning premierships. We need to keep hitting the draft hard and prey some of these rookies become the next Grimes and Lambert. Eases the pressure of having a team of entitled GWS first rounders. Club needs a balance for culture and the backline is no where near set. At least 2-3 A graders off.
I honestly dont understand your response to my post ( not your post but your reply to my post)

I may be a crackpot but I know a WAFL player above the level when I see one. Stoked for Blighty he made the transition so easily, going to be another one to ask wtf were the Roo's doing when his career is done. Michael Sellwood is another one I think deserves a chance from Peel but perhaps a little bit too vanilla to get drafted.

Blight, Miller, Gibcus, Young, 3 tall defenders and a backup all aged 22-26 next year. Sorted.

Lynch, Balta, Kozdog/Ryan, 2 key forwards and a secondary ruck/forward. Latter trio 24-25yo next year. Then we have Lefau 26 next year, Gray(21 next year), possibly Fawcett(20 next year) to add as and when necessary.

Nankervis transitions to Ryan, Hayes-Brown or whoever else emerges.

Work on a Lynch replacement, next 2 years. Key forwards will be sorted medium/long term as well. So list wise all our talls seem to be in position maybe bar a replacement for Lynch, a 200cm odd class key forward.

Of course you will never have enough key position players when 3 do knees and 1 of those plus your marquee guy essentially miss the majority of 2 consecutive seasons with long term injuries. But the key position players almost all seem to be on the list already to make us strongly competitive in these areas over the next 5-10 years if they get a good run at it.

Blight is younger than Miller was in 2022, and would be amongst the very youngest players from the 2019 draft crop, so has not even entered his prime yet. Early days but he looks like he can stand up to the big key forwards for strength and judgement in the air already. Just need to focus on getting a couple of gun explosive ball using mids in from this draft in particular. Then focus our free cash on a free agent to replace Lynch when the time comes.

Blight is most similar in age to these promising key position types:

Ollie Lord, Mitch Georgiades, Nick Cox, Daniel Turner, Heath Chapman, Ugle-Hagan.

He already seems to have more physical strength than all of those guys. But he looks a great gift for us Blight. And we have recruited him at an optimal time in his life cycle.

Great summary, he was really impressive under tough circumstances.

Can't wait to see him grow as a player and really loving that fingers crossed, we might be able to give Balta another pre-season training as a forward and just leave him there from now on.

Another piece of the spine puzzle falling into place and again done at a bargain price. :thumbsu:

He's was much stronger defensively than I expected. I thought he'd be eased into it and play loose man but nope straight onto a coleman medallist. His speed looked pretty good too. That big Rance like diving spoil near the boundary line was good watching.
Was right ,,,,in ,,,,front ,,,of me ,,,,said as much to my mate , like Rance that was

Pretty early last year and went Coulthard
Having said that, I thought Coulthard was pretty good in the VFL on the weekend. He hasn't really been given much of a chance at senior level and I rate his footy IQ above some others in our forward line.

He is a only "confidence" away from being an absolute beauty. The nerves were clear and completely understandable.

Its only 1 game, and we should have learned our lessons from Young about getting too excited too early so please stop this Rance like BS comments. The only similarities to Rance is good hair and a good rig.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For those that were there live and got a better view of things, what'd you make of his closing speed? That was my only real concern about his coming in.

Spent a bit more time on the bench than our other key defenders, but I'm sure his tank can be easily fixed, as Miller has done.
He has a great tank already, but no AFL level great which is to be expected. was literally an ammo footballer 3 weeks ago, MAD!

Watching all the videos on the RFC site, and leaving his football abilities aside, he comes over as very mature, grounded and determinined to succeed. Plus the interaction with the large number of his family in the room was genuine so probably has a stable background. Seems the sort of person who will not fail because of lack of trying.

Last edited:
For those that were there live and got a better view of things, what'd you make of his closing speed? That was my only real concern about his coming in.

Spent a bit more time on the bench than our other key defenders, but I'm sure his tank can be easily fixed, as Miller has done.
He played half the game in front of me, thought he did well! McKay got seperation from him a couple times on a big lead plus the one he dropped in the goal square. Probably should of ended up with 5 if I'm being honest.

He did have some big spoils in particular the on on the boundry. Body work in the areial contest was solid, doesn't get moved around easily.

Probably something missed that I was real happy to see was his second efforts when the ball hit the deck. Including when we won the ball, I found he transitioned quickly and looked to create an outlet from the contest.

Overall was very happy with his game. Looking forward to watching him develop over the coming seasons.

On SM-S906E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #51 Jacob Blight - Re-Signed for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back