5AA Disgrace

Remove this Banner Ad

Big Gregs promise to 'dog Salisbury' in the 1990 GF was along the lines of, if you so much as look at Wangas they will be scraping your carcass off the boundry fence!

Big Gregs promise to 'dog Salisbury' in the 1990 GF was along the lines of, if you so much as look at Wangas they will be scraping your carcass off the boundry fence!

Hehe, then theres the story about the day when McIntosh started to run at a Port player to rough him up until he realised it was Greg Phillips, and he quickly retreated and ran off in the other direction hehe.

Hardly passionate about the Power is he!

(Yes Yes Yes I know he's a good guy)

My biggest issue with Russ's commentary is that he doesn't offer real footy insight into what's going on at the Power either during gameday or during talkback. I realise that his involvement with the club and Brett's place on our list, makes it difficult for him to talk out of school or in the face of the party line, but if that is the case, I would prefer they have someone else on air in his place.

All he does is either state the obvious or churn out what the club wants us to believe. He rarely puts heat on a player who deserves it.

In truth, those things could be said for the majority of 5AA callers as a group. I don't mind Dittmar especially when he is commentating without Russ alongside of him, as in those instances his honesty is a little more brutal.

I used to listen to KG and Cornsey regularly before I moved to Melbourne in 2000. Is Cornes still professing to be an anti Port man? One time, he was going on about how he still would barrack against them. So some Port supporter rang him on air and rolled him by putting this question to him:

"Cornsey, if Port were playing the Crows in the Grand Final, and were trailing by 5 points during time on of the final quarter, and Chad takes a mark 40 metres out from goal directly in front, and the siren goes, do you want him to kick a goal or a behind?"

Graham ummed and arrred and said "yea how could I not want my son to kick the goal".

Then one time on Friday, when they would have Neil Kerley, Rowe, Ebert etc, it was about 4.30pm, they were all talking about something, and then suddenly KG interupted whatever it was they were talking about, which I can't remember now, to say that a record had just been broken. Never had the 5AA sports show gone that long without mentioning the Crows. Freakin dipstick. They had gone from 4.00pm to 4.30pm without mentioning the Crows, which I don't think any of the listeners were even aware of, I know i wasnt aware of it, only for KG to jump in to let everyone know that the Crows hadnt been mentioned. Of course him mentioning that record, meant that the crows got a mention anyway.

What I miss most about the show was listening to the Crows supporters call up and basically self destruct, similar to the Carlton and Richmond supporters over here who ring up 3AW.

thats one thing I will never understand about Cornes.

If it were my kids playing for the opposition I would do ANYTHING I could to support them. I'd support the club, help out whenever they needed it, go to training, family days whatever.

I would put my kids first, not my own ego.

I think Cornesy is pretty Port-friendly these days, with the extremely important exception that he's one of those footy "revisionist historians" who tries to tell himself that the Port his sons play for isn't the same Port that used to kick Glenelg's arse a few times a year.

Remove this Banner Ad

5AA Disgrace

Remove this Banner Ad

Back