Free Agent # 6: Joe Daniher (part 1)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bruce almost exclusively kicks his bags in blowouts where the Saints mids are steamrolling (see today and the game last year), other than that he's just a handy 1-2 goal a game lead up full forward, he's basically Mitch Brown with a better leap.

Most pleasing thing about Joe's last month is his work rate is up and he's more patient with ball in hand. Early on in the year he was that desperate to make something happen when he had the pill he was rushing himself into mistakes.

Hold up. Daniher got to learn under the tutelage of Carlisle. Are we really going to ignore the influence of that outstanding young man?
I was going to mention that... He hasnt become more of a w***er. So I buess Carlisle taught him nothing

Joe Daniher
57 games (all as a forward)
76 goals
66 behinds

Josh Bruce
55 games (1.5 seasons as a forward - roughly 30 games as a forward)
70 goals
34 behinds

Hope you looked up the other end at how you should play as a forward Joe because you are fast testing my patience you one trick show pony.

Bruce doesn't move from the forward line and the Saints can get it to him.

Daniher's career to date seems to stack up reasonably well with most other young tall forwards (and he's taller than all of them). We often forget how long it took guys like Brown and Hawkins to become solid and consistent contributors on a weekly basis. Instead we tend to focus on the likes of Buddy and Jeremy Cameron who buck the trend.

The reality is that it is incredibly difficult to play in the Essendon forward line right now. Both the quantity and quality of delivery is well down on what Daniher would have received last year (and even then the quality of delivery was hardly ideal). Even someone like Buddy would struggle to kick more than 2.5 - 3 goals per game in this Essendon line-up. Reverse that and stick Daniher in either of the Sydney teams and I suspect he'd suddenly look like a much better player.

Daniher has a lot he needs to work on. The improvement to his work-rate is positive but it must extend to his work in the forward fifty. Too often the ball is simply bombed high on top of him and that simply isn't his strength. I'd much rather seem him as a leading forward. But of course that requires our midfield to recognise and kick to the advantage of those leads. This season that may not be possible given our obvious limitations.

Bruce almost exclusively kicks his bags in blowouts where the Saints mids are steamrolling (see today and the game last year), other than that he's just a handy 1-2 goal a game lead up full forward, he's basically Mitch Brown with a better leap.

Most pleasing thing about Joe's last month is his work rate is up and he's more patient with ball in hand. Early on in the year he was that desperate to make something happen when he had the pill he was rushing himself into mistakes.

I'd have Bruce as stronger and more powerful, a better contested grab and better suited to playing full forward.

Brown is more of a half forward and on current form a very good one.

One thing I noticed yesterday was Joe (in the first half more than the second) was playing for frees rather than keeping his feet. Not sure if this has come on due to being illegally man handled at every contest with no reward, but it's something I hope he stops before it becomes a real problem.

In saying that, he never stopped presenting and is much better for the team when he is allowed to roam up the ground. He'll tough this season out and next year when he only has 1 player on him he'll be much better for it.

One thing I noticed yesterday was Joe (in the first half more than the second) was playing for frees rather than keeping his feet. Not sure if this has come on due to being illegally man handled at every contest with no reward, but it's something I hope he stops before it becomes a real problem.

In saying that, he never stopped presenting and is much better for the team when he is allowed to roam up the ground. He'll tough this season out and next year when he only has 1 player on him he'll be much better for it.

He's been doing that for a while. Like a lot of key forwards he is frequently infringed but playing for free kicks typically hurts him more than it helps.

He's been doing that for a while. Like a lot of key forwards he is frequently infringed but playing for free kicks typically hurts him more than it helps.
Yeah, he is goofy as they come and even more so when he is flailing around in his awkward 201cm body.

His man just stand their ground and gets an easy disposal as Joe takes himself out of the contest.

He probably just labours under the delusion that hands in the back is paid.

He probably just labours under the delusion that hands in the back is paid.
He gets harshly done by, no doubt about that. Yesterday though he was jumping forwards before he'd even been touched at times.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geez those Saints forwards really showed Joey up.

They played almost like they were opposed to a second string defense.

And with delivery from a midfield that was also against a second string equivalent.

Thread goes very quiet when he plays well...
I must of watched it differently, thought he was hopeless. They used him consistently and made a truckload of errors. Over ran leads, marking was not on, didn't chase down opponents and kicking was horrible.

These are individual errors and can't be blamed by those around him. Gone backwards this year.

Thread goes very quiet when he plays well...

Did he play well yesterday?
Threatened to do something but never got going.. He still gets manoeuvred under the ball too easily..
Then I saw him jump at the ball uncontested and still not take a mark twice..
Nearly game..

Joe Daniher
57 games (all as a forward)
76 goals
66 behinds

Josh Bruce
55 games (1.5 seasons as a forward - roughly 30 games as a forward)
70 goals
34 behinds

Hope you looked up the other end at how you should play as a forward Joe because you are fast testing my patience you one trick show pony.

Bruce plays in a forward line next to a super star and usually another good tall forward. He does not have 2 or 3 players hanging off him week in and week out. He does not even get the best defender most weeks. Bruce does not have to play ruck either. Nor does he have to be the lead up player on the wing.
Joe needs to improve in a few areas including sticking more marks but he is playing against two every week as we are playing Goddard behind the ball so the two defenders are going to Joe. The reason Brown is showing a bit is he is the bloke not getting double teamed or taking the best defender mast of the time.

Joe should be judged when we have our full side back on deck and we are free of everything that has happened. You can not judge him on last season or this year when the side has been a train wreck.

One thing I've noticed - competes much better in the ruck this year. Has been a liability there in the past, have seen him do some good things recently.

All of the frustrated talk aside, if he was getting the simple things right he would have 25 to 30 goals so far. Few spilled marks last night robbed him of at least another two shots on goal.

He troubled Rance which is no mean feat. He's belted McDonald a few times too. It gives me confidence that he will dominate the competition.

His mobility is excellent.

All of the frustrated talk aside, if he was getting the simple things right he would have 25 to 30 goals so far. Few spilled marks last night robbed him of at least another two shots on goal.

He troubled Rance which is no mean feat. He's belted McDonald a few times too. It gives me confidence that he will dominate the competition.

His mobility is excellent.
The thing is, he really struggles with the simple things. Like kicking the football - if he were an opposition player it'd be hilarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back