Free Agent # 6: Joe Daniher (part 1)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Missed three simple marks after out-positioning Rance which is so frustrating - Had a very good opponent but let crucial mistakes slip through his fingers - Was better the previous two weeks.

Think he'll be massive when we have another good key forward playing next to him. Hes at his best when he can run and leap at the ball which he cant do with 2-3 other defenders hanging off him

The thing is, he really struggles with the simple things. Like kicking the football - if he were an opposition player it'd be hilarious.

He kicks the ball well in general play. His set shots are an issue but it happens. Buddy had serious issues with set shots for a long time as well. Yes he has to continue to do some serious work on set shots and also on the simple marks he drops but the whole team is struggling with the simple things at the moment.

He kicks the ball well in general play. His set shots are an issue but it happens. Buddy had serious issues with set shots for a long time as well. Yes he has to continue to do some serious work on set shots and also on the simple marks he drops but the whole team is struggling with the simple things at the moment.
Buddy has a consistent hook and allows for it. Joe, whilst he mostly hooks, I feel that the ball could go anywhere when he is having a shot.

Joe's on a 6 figure salary and has been a full timer for several years. The knowledge has always been there that its an issue. "Doing some work on set shots" should have happened and had effect well before 22 years of age.

I find it funny that the same people bashing Joe are praising Mitch Brown when Joe has him covered in pretty much all stats when he has to deal with being doubled team.
Brown is the second key forward.

Buddy has a consistent hook and allows for it. Joe, whilst he mostly hooks, I feel that the ball could go anywhere when he is having a shot.

Joe's on a 6 figure salary and has been a full timer for several years. The knowledge has always been there that its an issue. "Doing some work on set shots" should have happened and had effect well before 22 years of age.
Its too late now. His kicking is derpy and will remain so. Let's focus on other issues like getting rid of that mo.

Opposition teams sag off Brown to double team Joe. Brown gets a lot more easier touches.

Joe will be alright next year when we have a midfield. Brown will be hanging on for dear life on his AFL career.
Brown has been impressive this year. 13 goals in 9 games as a forward with, as you say, no midfield. How will he be "hanging on for dear life"? This is quite possibly the worst call you've ever made, and that's saying something.

You would think so but then set shots has been and is still an issue across the leauge and there is no real answer. It amazes me in a way because as you say they are full time players on good dollars. It is like Casbolt. There is one thing that i do know and that is unless you correct kicking issues very early at around under 14 level it can be hard to iron them out because of the muscle development becomes set. You can address ball drop and routine but you can not fix problems with actual kicking action easily once they have been kicking the same way since a young age.
You could look at Richo, played for 15 seasons and never got it sorted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You would think so but then set shots has been and is still an issue across the leauge and there is no real answer. It amazes me in a way because as you say they are full time players on good dollars. It is like Casbolt. There is one thing that i do know and that is unless you correct kicking issues very early at around under 14 level it can be hard to iron them out because of the muscle development becomes set. You can address ball drop and routine but you can not fix problems with actual kicking action easily once they have been kicking the same way since a young age.
You could look at Richo, played for 15 seasons and never got it sorted.
With regards to across the league, it's probably the heart rate thing. Rule changes to lessen the amount of time between a mark and a set shot would've had a detrimental effect.

With regards to Joe's underage development, the story was that Dodoro plucked him from indoor soccer. Is that just a fanciful tale, did Joe not play as much underrage footy as others? (and if so how come his soccer skills have been ordinary ;))

With regards to across the league, it's probably the heart rate thing. Rule changes to lessen the amount of time between a mark and a set shot would've had a detrimental effect.

With regards to Joe's underage development, the story was that Dodoro plucked him from indoor soccer. Is that just a fanciful tale, did Joe not play as much underrage footy as others? (and if so how come his soccer skills have been ordinary ;))

If I recall correctly it's that he first saw Joe playing indoor soccer. He was always a footballer.

It's probably just me, but since he wheels around for almost every one of his field kicks, and his field kicking is generally very good, I actually think he should incorporate it into his set shot routine.

Brown has been impressive this year. 13 goals in 9 games as a forward with, as you say, no midfield. How will he be "hanging on for dear life"? This is quite possibly the worst call you've ever made, and that's saying something.
13 goals in 9 games with the 3rd best defender isn't really anything to hang your hat on.

Brown has been handy this year, but I too don't think he'll be best 22 next season on current output.

Should probably put this in the Brown thread though

It's probably just me, but since he wheels around for almost every one of his field kicks, and his field kicking is generally very good, I actually think he should incorporate it into his set shot routine.

It's as good an idea as anyone else's. Go back 15 metres, jog out on a bit of an arc and boof it. The one he kicked against north and the one where he ran past Rance were both as pure as you could ever hope to kick a ball.

The complaint about his ball use is basically that he bites off more than anyone bar tippa can chew off, not that he's actually a shitty field kick, so he may as well give it a shot.

It's as good an idea as anyone else's. Go back 15 metres, jog out on a bit of an arc and boof it. The one he kicked against north and the one where he ran past Rance were both as pure as you could ever hope to kick a ball.

The complaint about his ball use is basically that he bites off more than anyone bar tippa can chew off, not that he's actually a shitty field kick, so he may as well give it a shot.

I feel a lot of the frustration is due to when he puts himself under pressure due to how much he telegraphs what he is going to do. Has also been a victim to getting the play on call too early and then when the defender has made his move to cover his left Joe doesn't have another trick to get himself out of that situation

Think he'll be massive when we have another good key forward playing next to him. Hes at his best when he can run and leap at the ball which he cant do with 2-3 other defenders hanging off him
how on earth did you get a snapchat from Tippa lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back