Free Agent # 6: Joe Daniher (part 1)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I spotted Joe eating a double scoop ice cream on the weekend. He chose Raspberry and Vanilla while whistling what sounded like the tune of “Cheer, cheer the red and the white”

If he does go it’ll be very interesting to see the length of the contract Swans offer him. I mean would we be happy to sign him to a 3 year extension?

Was interesting as well last night on AFL Tonight they were discussing Jon Patton and how he could have played last few weeks but didnt want to risk re-injury and harm his chances of moving to another club.

Last edited:
Forgo a flag and just get paid? Sounds like the kind of player we'd target.

I think that’s a bit harsh on Patton. He is coming back from his 3rd knee reco. This is make or break for him and if I was him I’d take as long as I need to get it right. I’m 4 months into recovery from mine and it’s a shit process, never want to do it again.

He’s staying! Thank fu**.

Odd because Tim has apparantly said on radio Joe appears to have decided he wants out of the limelight. If that's coming from the Essendon mouthpiece the day after the B&F id say we have our answer.

Both Newtown and Parramatta have a 'townie' feel about them to me, without being conservative. I don't go to Sydney often because it sux so bad, but I won't shirk Parramatta or Newtown. There are probably other cool places but I haven't the patience for Sydney to spend my time finding them.
Whilst I agree personally I could see the appeal for an AFL player who wanted to live relatively quietly and outside the AFL bubble. I think if you lived fairly locally in Sydney, meaning you didn't have to travel far (and you had money), some areas would be excellent.

Many people in AFL states and cities would have little idea just how few people in Sydney would know who Joe was - let alone care if they did. Overall it's a more impersonal than Melbourne I find as well.

I could see the appeal for someone like Joe in bunkering down in the eastern Sydney region near the SCG, a beach and the airport, and living relatively quietly (comparatively).

I think that’s a bit harsh on Patton. He is coming back from his 3rd knee reco. This is make or break for him and if I was him I’d take as long as I need to get it right. I’m 4 months into recovery from mine and it’s a s**t process, never want to do it again.
I guess it depends on the emphasis given to the word could, a chance to play or right to play.

So now the club has been told officially. We can expect an announcement in the next week and a trade done on the last day of the trade period as per usual.

We won't hold Joe to contract.

Now we have to figure out how to get enough currency into the club to get the best out of trading Saad, Shiel, Smith and Stringer into the club.
We are going to need at a minimum a KPF a KPD to handle the real gorillas and at least a decent inside mid.
These players of drafted will need to be developed inside 3 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Swans in the back ground feeding the media they believe they can get him despite the fact they have not officially made an offer. The media will not just run with anything now days. There is always a club or manager feeding the fire in the back ground. It does not always work out but it doess happen more often than it used to.

So it has been the Swans feeding the ‘lie’ to the media about Joe being disappointed with Essendons medical care of him.
If so I would be enraged at the Swans. They then should be called out for their dishonesty. Which of course the Swans won’t ever be.

So now the club has been told officially. We can expect an announcement in the next week and a trade done on the last day of the trade period as per usual.

Now we have to figure out how to get enough currency into the club to get the best out of trading Saad, Shiel, Smith and Stringer into the club.
We are going to need at a minimum a KPF a KPD to handle the real gorillas and at least a decent inside mid.

Yep. Pretty much all of that.

This is unfortunately what will happen. I’d be all for holding him to his contract but we won’t like the optics of it and our club is more concerned with perception than performance.

Speaking of mental health issues I imagine most players would have to forgo antidepressants right?
In my experience as a sadboi most SSRIs mess with you a bit physically so it's hard to imagine a professional athlete being able to stay at the level while taking them.

That's a benefit. Actually gives them a chance of treating the condition.

So it has been the Swans feeding the ‘lie’ to the media about Joe being disappointed with Essendons medical care of him.
If so I would be enraged at the Swans. They then should be called out for their dishonesty. Which of course the Swans won’t ever be.

Why necessarily Swans? Doubt they’d make a comment like that on opposition medical staff. It’s his manager I’d imagine.

So at what point can we concede that this is more than a "media beat-up"?
Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. Still, Lloyd and Watson are both club legends and media identities and both of them have come out and said mutually exclusive takes on Joe's situation, so theres definitely a lot of beat up still going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back