Free Agent # 6: Joe Daniher (part 1)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tim Watson coming out this morning and saying that has me raising my eyebrows.

Starting to think there might be legs to this. I'm seriously hoping I'm wrong though.

Whilst I agree personally I could see the appeal for an AFL player who wanted to live relatively quietly and outside the AFL bubble. I think if you lived fairly locally in Sydney, meaning you didn't have to travel far (and you had money), some areas would be excellent.

Many people in AFL states and cities would have little idea just how few people in Sydney would know who Joe was - let alone care if they did. Overall it's a more impersonal than Melbourne I find as well.

I could see the appeal for someone like Joe in bunkering down in the eastern Sydney region near the SCG, a beach and the airport, and living relatively quietly (comparatively).
Absolutely agree. He could get around with reasonable anonymity. Partly because many Sydney people are insular, maybe too busy thinking about how they'll handle their credit card debt so they can actually afford to live there, and partly because some arrogantly try to project that they are more than they are and become defensive, dismissive and rude in the process. I'm getting personal and generalising now, but certainly Joey could find it easier.

Tim Watson coming out this morning and saying that has me raising my eyebrows.

Starting to think there might be legs to this. I'm seriously hoping I'm wrong though.

Watson either knows he’s gone, or is goading him publicly into making a commitment (on behalf of the club).

Either way, there’s obviously legs to it. He’s a contracted player, this stuff doesn’t just come out of nowhere.

Why does what other people think agitate you so much? Some people prefer to wait until somebody actually says something rather than flip flop with every bit of speculation that's dressed up as fact.
Why does it agitate you what I think? Irony/10.

I'm just amazed some people still don't think this has any merit. Not even saying whether he goes or stays; but at least conceding - ok, this might actually happen.

I said "more than a beat up". If you don't think this story has legs, you may want to get your head out of the sand.

Why are you so bothered whether or not other people think it is or isn't likely, to the same extent you think it's likely?

Any player can be traded if they ask for it, so there's always the possibility they'll go, all you can do is hope that if they do the club makes the most of the situation, and remember that there's very few high profile player moves that have yielded a premiership for the team trading them in.

Why are you so bothered whether or not other people think it is or isn't likely, to the same extent you think it's likely?

Any player can be traded if they ask for it, so there's always the possibility they'll go, all you can do is hope that if they do the club makes the most of the situation, and remember that there's very few high profile player moves that have yielded a premiership for the team trading them in.
I completely understand & agree if posters think say he's going/staying - both sides have merit. But that's not what I'm getting at. My amazement is at those who think that there's nothing to this story. Surely, at this point, we can all see that this is a little more than a beat up.

Why does my opinion bother you so much?

Absolutely agree. He could get around with reasonable anonymity. Partly because many Sydney people are insular, maybe too busy thinking about how they'll handle their credit card debt so they can actually afford to live there, and partly because some arrogantly try to project that they are more than they are and become defensive, dismissive and rude in the process. I'm getting personal and generalising now, but certainly Joey could find it easier.
All good points! I'd ad that they don't care about sport as much in general, and that even if they do they have multiple codes competing for their attention.

Joe in Sydney would often be seen as tall guy they think plays for the Swans or at least AFL (or quite likely they would have no idea who he is at all). Joe in Melbourne is Joe Daniher from Essendon to every supporter from every club in an AFL obsessed city.

He'd only need the club as support and a couple of good mates up there and he'd have a great life if he doesn't like the attention. The difference could be say 1 person in 100 recognising you (Sydney) to 1in 4 recognising you (Melbourne). It's not hard to see how for some the attention in Melbourne could feel oppressive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I completely understand & agree if posters think say he's going/staying - both sides have merit. But that's not what I'm getting at. My amazement is at those who think that there's nothing to this story. Surely, at this point, we can all see that this is a little more than a beat up.

If you actually gave an opinion I'm sure it wouldn't bother me at all, instead you're the Big Footy version of Thom Browne.

Double windsor is the best and I'll fight anyone who disagrees to the death.

Agreed. Half windsor is my go to though due to it's ease in tying. There is no place for the private schoolboy twist around and back down the hole thingo though.

Having said all of that, I haven't worn a tie for a few years.

It’s footy. It’s not rational. No matter what happens, some supporters will only ever believe the best and be convinced the worst is some sort of plot to bring us down.

It’s stupidly combative and irrational. But that’s also what makes footy work.

I don’t mean any of that condescendingly toward any supporter btw. We’re all part of the same great stupidity.

For a senior player and leader at the club to not wear a club tie at the most important official function they hold for the year is a statement.

There would need to be a "dog did it" type - reason - for him not to and as Degoey knows they are rare.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back