60% say Ablett is best

Remove this Banner Ad

You must've hated Diesel and Ratten as players then.

They both handballed quite a bit. Not close to Gablett this year though.

Diesel & Ratten both were around 1 kick per handball most years.

Ablett this year is .5 kicks per handball. I guess i have a bit of a short memory and didn't notice that he kicked it quite a bit earlier in his career compared to Diesel & Ratts

It's silly to say no player has a fault. I'm more than happy to say Riewoldt is the no.1 player this year. I'd have Ablett no.2 but Hayes, Montagna and Swan are right up there. There is no right or wrong in rating the no.1 player during a season, but to call someone silly for not rating Ablett no.1, is silly.

i the poll was about who is the best player in the comp, not specifcily about this year, ablett is simply on a level of his own.ablett is simply the best as he can play at a consistant level that no body else can reach.

riewoldt as a KP forward dosent have alot of pysical presence which is something a big forward should have.He also isnt a great set shot for goal obviously important for a KF.plus his record in finals against good opposition is poor.

i the poll was about who is the best player in the comp, not specifcily about this year, ablett is simply on a level of his own.ablett is simply the best as he can play at a consistant level that no body else can reach.

riewoldt as a KP forward dosent have alot of pysical presence which is something a big forward should have.He also isnt a great set shot for goal obviously important for a KF.plus his record in finals against good opposition is poor.

Of course this year would have a greater weighting, but over their careers i would choose Reiwoldt too. Garry Ablett has only been in the best bracket of players since 2007. Before that he was a better than average forward.

As for the point about Reiwoldt lacking physical presences, you only have to see him play to know that he is a physical CHF who crashes packs and as a result, is second in the comp for contested marks.
As for his accuracy this year, he has improved immensely, and is the most accurate from outside 50, and is much more comfortable inside 50 as well.
In finals i remember he destroyed us last year with 5 goals and 15 marks. Backed it up the next week against geelong the week after with three.

Nick Reiwoldt has been the better player over their careers and the better player this year.

With these "best player" type rankings there's always a long lag where people wont let go and just parrot what has been. If Judd for instance isnt even in the top 2 on form this yr then based on his average yrs since about mid 07 i just cant see anyway he could even be in the top 5 players...people just cling to a reputation or dont watch the evolution of the game...they also blindly follow a blind media. 3 yrs is long enough.

I prefer to think along the lines of injecting a single footballer into a crappy bottom 2 list..which one would make the most difference based on this yrs form ? Which provides the most instant effect ?

One gun midfielder into a crap midfield wont have anywhere near the effect most simply assume...in fact it can have no effect at all if the rest of them arent any good..doesnt necessarily transfer to a winning score. Sure it'd be a huge lift to have an Ablett or a Judd thrown into a junk midfield like the Weagles or Dees but it wont necessarily win u more games.

On the other hand if u could whack a big unit that can have impact all over the ground...a marking target that will play midfield as well as kicking 40-70 goals and help out in the ruck when needed also...he'd straighten up any attack and provide a target around the ground...lead from the front with a midfielders engine...thats my choice for a number 1.

I dont change rankings based on short term form...but u need to at least go with the flow...the #1 and #2 players in the game right now are the two best KPP's going around...they represent far more to any team and can contribute far more than any one designated rover could...especially one with a narrow skillset such as a pure clearance player.

Even with my rose coloured glasses on i can tell that Riewoldt is the most valuable this year - actually is my pick for the brownlow and quite frankly, St Kilda would be very very vulnerable without him.

Ablett is still pretty damn handy though - he was again excellent against Hawthorn and setup a number of goals, got hard balls and just has the most inate sense of being able to use the ball, dodge players and setup play. Ablett excels over Judd, but still Geelong can play without Gaz. His move back into the forward line is working well and he is a very multi-faceted player which people (who obviously are sick of hearing about him) don't recognise continually referring to his outside play and quick 1/2 handballs (which is quite funny when you actually look at his contested possession stats).

Over there careers....well Riewoldt has of course been excellent, however he has not done it on the big stage and has been shut down a number of times (consequently St Kilda have struggled enormously without his output)....previously too he has had a very low level of hitting targets and kicking goals, shanking quite a large number of kicks - however he has addressed that this year and looks a more complete player.

Definitely Roo this year....

I dont change rankings based on short term form...but u need to at least go with the flow...the #1 and #2 players in the game right now are the two best KPP's going around...they represent far more to any team and can contribute far more than any one designated rover could...especially one with a narrow skillset such as a pure clearance player.

Who is this rover you are speaking of?

Myths. He has been good in front of goal this year. I fail to see how the best KP forward can't have a physical presence. Brown has the reputation and the bigger build, but Riewoldt deserves to be on the same level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ablett gets a lot of help from his team mates but he still would have to be right up there as the best in the comp, but i have a funny feeling he wont win the brownlow.its got to be dane swans year

Ablett is the best at the moment yes but if Judd wasnt soo scared of his groin he would be better, what he did for Eagles was the best ive seen.

Ablett is the best at the moment yes but if Judd wasnt soo scared of his groin he would be better, what he did for Eagles was the best ive seen.

Which really was quite awhile ago now....

Ablett's best has matched Judd's best in my opinion. You might want to refer to the West Coast game last year where Ablett absolutely took you apart...and I wouldn't even rate that as one of his better games!

Which really was quite awhile ago now....

Ablett's best has matched Judd's best in my opinion. You might want to refer to the West Coast game last year where Ablett absolutely took you apart...and I wouldn't even rate that as one of his better games!
Arguable. I still think, that at their best, Judd is above Ablett. I'd pick 4 or 5 players above Ablett at their best.

10 kicks and 30 handballs is why i don't like him... doesn't kick enough

you have got to be kidding right...there are very few players in the AFL who can still have an effect on the game with a tight tag...u see constantly players who r considered as very good players get tagged out of the blue...eg jimmy bartel a few weeks back where cheynee stiller followed him around..jimmy had no effect on the game...ablett on the other hand cops one every week yet he still picks up 40 possession...his ability to do that is unbelievable...the only reason he handballs is because he doesnt have enough time to kick...teams gang up on him and he forced to handball so u bagging him for handballing i reckon is ridiculous

sure ablett hasnt had the effect as big effect as lets say riewoldt this year but he is still the best imo

Why don't you argue it then? You keep saying this, but have yet to back it up.

Who are these players with more talent, ability or class than Ablett?
What do you mean back it up? At their best I would pick Black, Judd, Pavlich, Brown, Franklin, Goodes, Riewoldt and Fevola ahead of Ablett. I think consistency is what Ablett has over all of them but if each were at their best I would pick all of them ahead of Ablett. If you thought Bartel was a better player than Goodes I wouldn't ask you to back it up. It's opinion, all are good players and there isn't much between them.

What do you mean back it up? At their best I would pick Black, Judd, Pavlich, Brown, Franklin, Goodes, Riewoldt and Fevola ahead of Ablett. I think consistency is what Ablett has over all of them but if each were at their best I would pick all of them ahead of Ablett. If you thought Bartel was a better player than Goodes I wouldn't ask you to back it up. It's opinion, all are good players and there isn't much between them.

You're the one that said it was arguable :confused:

You think all those players, playing their best games, are better than Ablett playing his best game?

Of course this year would have a greater weighting, but over their careers i would choose Reiwoldt too. Garry Ablett has only been in the best bracket of players since 2007. Before that he was a better than average forward.

As for the point about Reiwoldt lacking physical presences, you only have to see him play to know that he is a physical CHF who crashes packs and as a result, is second in the comp for contested marks.
As for his accuracy this year, he has improved immensely, and is the most accurate from outside 50, and is much more comfortable inside 50 as well.
In finals i remember he destroyed us last year with 5 goals and 15 marks. Backed it up the next week against geelong the week after with three.

Nick Reiwoldt has been the better player over their careers and the better player this year.

riewoldt dosent have the physical presence of a brown or a hall.I know we were being picky but thats what you do when you are trying to seperate the best 5 players in the comp.

he did well last year against collingwood but collingwood were a side that finished 8th on the ladder and were underdone , you were not quality opposition in last years finals.

riewoldt just matured as a player earlier than ablett as all players mature at a diffrent rate.We are comparing a mature riewoldt to a mature ablett and ablett wins hands down.

even if you want to go over the entire career ablett simply must be the winner as his performance in finals is miles ahead of riewoldt.

dont get me wrong riewoldt is a gun, would love to have him at geelong its just that ablett is simply better , I would of tought the results from the herald sun survey prove this.I mean this result is a smashing.

You're the one that said it was arguable :confused:

You think all those players, playing their best games, are better than Ablett playing his best game?
I'll normally take the power forward at their best. Throw a blanket over Judd, Goodes, Ablett and Black. Judd and Goodes are more damaging. Black a better decision maker. Black and Ablett is lineball, I'm probably basing a bit of that on their career form.

Remove this Banner Ad

60% say Ablett is best

Remove this Banner Ad

Back