Player Watch #7: Liam Baker - Requested trade to WA club

Remove this Banner Ad

T71 did say that his mate said he thought Baker was staying, but there was still chance he could move. From the various rumours put out there it sounded like Baker was not going until fairly late. It's all chancy. Say 80% chance Baker si staying. Then late in the season he gets a great offer (like a premiership shot with Freo, and to play with a mate + money + family), and say the RFC says "we want you to stay, but if you go for a good return to us we won't get in the way', he is gone.

I always take these things as probabilities, not certainties. ... except Dusty moving the (name club).
I really do enjoy this annual circus, harmless fun, especially the angst when it inevitably goes pear shaped.

I understand that 💯 %
It's just my opinion that if anyone comes on radio or TV or in print or on a podcast and states according to my sources
My sources say
It's my understanding
That they should either say who there sources are
Or not say anything at all
If we knew what peoples sources were then we might believe 100% in this person
Like I said it's my opinion 🤷
Nothing personal against you guys
McClures Dusty to Gold coast never happened. But Channel 9 did get Bolton wanting to get to WA right.
Media put Rioli mid season visit to the Goldie and Dimma as Rioli wanting out and got it right.

Still a LOT to play out in all the players wanting out. Baker trade may not eventuate.

Going to be a tough trade if he chooses West Coast which I think he will. Will probably need to somehow involve another club or 2 to make both parties happy.
The pick West Coast will receive from Hawthorn for Barrass might be the one that gets it done.

I really do enjoy this annual circus, harmless fun, especially the angst when it inevitably goes pear shaped.

I get caught up, then stop and think 'this is only a potential thing, not a real thing'. And the last few years we've not been all that involved, so meh.

McClures Dusty to Gold coast never happened. But Channel 9 did get Bolton wanting to get to WA right.
Media put Rioli mid season visit to the Goldie and Dimma as Rioli wanting out and got it right.

Still a LOT to play out in all the players wanting out. Baker trade may not eventuate.
Baker is uncontracted so you’d think yes it will , have to say piss poor planning we didn’t get him to FA , dunno if he’d get us r1 compo or not , moot point I spose

Going to be a tough trade if he chooses West Coast which I think he will. Will probably need to somehow involve another club or 2 to make both parties happy.
Why ?

I personally think its the better option for Richmond to trade with the eagles than fremantle
Need to open your paradigm with these things

Best possible result we get with freo is pick 317 for baker
But with the eagles things are alot more flexible and alot of variations that will suit and end of the day we could get better value than just pick #17

Pick #23 for Richmond is such a good pick if we get the graham compo #22 , its effectively only 4 spots after pick #17
Think about it just for a minute pick #17 , #18 , #19 , #20 .......... Then 21 , 22 , 23 is our picks
plus along with #23 we may also get a 2025 2nd rounder

Or the #10+ Baker might get us to pick #3

If an agreement is made to get Graham band 3 that allows pick #22 to come to richmond as well as #23 a trade for baker #22+#23 is better than #17+#40

Maybe but i can't see West Coast wanting to part with that basically Barrass out Baker in when they are in rebuild mode like us.
If they want him, they'll have to give up a reasonable pick. Especially if Fremantle offer a better pick.

Why ?

I personally think its the better option for Richmond to trade with the eagles than fremantle
Need to open your paradigm with these things

Best possible result we get with freo is pick 317 for baker
But with the eagles things are alot more flexible and alot of variations that will suit and end of the day we could get better value than just pick #17

Pick #23 for Richmond is such a good pick if we get the graham compo #22 , its effectively only 4 spots after pick #17
Think about it just for a minute pick #17 , #18 , #19 , #20 .......... Then 21 , 22 , 23 is our picks
plus along with #23 we may also get a 2025 2nd rounder

Or the #10+ Baker might get us to pick #3

If an agreement is made to get Graham band 3 that allows pick #22 to come to richmond as well as #23 a trade for baker #22+#23 is better than #17+#40
Disagree totally that pick 23 is good for Baker.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In a safe space? It's not like he has small kids like Bolton. Picked him when no one wanted him. Wins premierships and now when the club needs players with standards he bails. In my view that is ungrateful. He is no Nathan Broad.

It's a 2 way street. The club is happy for him to go, if we get a good return.

I have no problem with him leaving. In fact it might be key to us rebounding with a great team within about 5 years.

As much as I want loyalty etc. I have never worked for somewhere that actually returned my loyalty. I understand that people move on and it isn't disloyalty as much as the world moving on.

It's a 2 way street. The club is happy for him to go, if we get a good return.

I have no problem with him leaving. In fact it might be key to us rebounding with a great team within about 5 years.

As much as I want loyalty etc. I have never worked for somewhere that actually returned my loyalty. I understand that people move on and it isn't disloyalty as much as the world moving on.
I think Richmond has been to loyal over the last decade letting players go when they want, if they're under contract to Richmond then they should only go when Richmond wants, IMO.

In a safe space? It's not like he has small kids like Bolton. Picked him when no one wanted him. Wins premierships and now when the club needs players with standards he bails. In my view that is ungrateful. He is no Nathan Broad.
Speculative rookie draft pick that delivered delivered 2 flags. The last being 4 years ago. In the meantime we are spooners. 4 players retired through age/injury. Bakers not as good since moved out of the backline. Been shoved middle and fwd.

4 more want out?

Baker will get us some good picks.. Better if he hung around a year? Maybe his form drops more.

Accelerates a rebuild.

Last edited:
Tom Brady was taken as pick 199. Imagine the diamond we could find at pick 317.
I dont think Tom Brady would be very good at footy, so 317 is gonna be hopeless

I dont think Tom Brady would be very good at footy, so 317 is gonna be hopeless
bitch slap slapping GIF

If Baker chooses WC then we would get Hawthorns first rounder (14?-Barras)for him. Seems about right.
If Freo pick 15-17.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

West Coast won't be swapping Baker for Barrass. Really not sure why people keep thinking that's going to happen.

West Coast won't be swapping Baker for Barrass. Really not sure why people keep thinking that's going to happen.
Agree. Being out of contract we have no leverage. Best bet is to bundle in with the Bolton/Freo trade, swoop on all their 1st rounders. At worst, play WCE off against Freo if they really want him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #7: Liam Baker - Requested trade to WA club

Remove this Banner Ad

Back