Player Watch #7: Liam Baker - Requested trade to WA club

Remove this Banner Ad

Baker constantly sits around 150th ranked player in the AFL which puts him around 8th on a team list which is relatively high for a feisty, tough and competitive backman. I think we need to squeeze a first pick between 8-12 for him and anything less may mean we’ve been robbed. I’m not a Baker fan , but he’s been an amazingly consistent player over his time at PRO.
I think he will never take his game further as he’s just that solid and consistent role player that elite players need around them. Unfortunately we don’t have the elite talent on our list and he could start to drop off as our team continues to struggle in its rebuilding phase. So we must try and get the best pick or picks for him whilst he holds value.
Shultz got way overs and he’s half the player Baker is in terms of consistency, performance and output over his career.

Baker constantly sits around 150th ranked player in the AFL which puts him around 8th on a team list which is relatively high for a feisty, tough and competitive backman. I think we need to squeeze a first pick between 8-12 for him and anything less may mean we’ve been robbed. I’m not a Baker fan , but he’s been an amazingly consistent player over his time at PRO.
I think he will never take his game further as he’s just that solid and consistent role player that elite players need around them. Unfortunately we don’t have the elite talent on our list and he could start to drop off as our team continues to struggle in its rebuilding phase. So we must try and get the best pick or picks for him whilst he holds value.
Shultz got way overs and he’s half the player Baker is in terms of consistency, performance and output over his career.
IMO baker value loses its gloss when he’s played as a midfielder and compared to all the greats out there ,,,,bakes best posi is that little general hodge like role coming off HB , he’s a brilliant decision maker and really makes his entries count . When yiu plonk him in the cbd he’s compared to the very best mids going around and naturally loses his luster . His other value is indeed versatility , there are times during the game that there will be a man down and he can genuinely fill a spot ,,,a great pick up for freo who have genuine premiership ambition

IMO baker value loses its gloss when he’s played as a midfielder and compared to all the greats out there ,,,,bakes best posi is that little general hodge like role coming off HB , he’s a brilliant decision maker and really makes his entries count . When yiu plonk him in the cbd he’s compared to the very best mids going around and naturally loses his luster . His other value is indeed versatility , there are times during the game that there will be a man down and he can genuinely fill a spot ,,,a great pick up for freo who have genuine premiership ambition
I agree Bo I hate him in the midfield as he’s just not big enough or good enough to go with the top notch mids or even just the bigger ones. I want him in the BL full time with Balta and Rioli.

Last edited:

I think Baker will stay
No chance mate. You’re normally right on most things, but not on this one. I really hope I’m right bc he has no upside to our team going forward as he would offer us more if he could give us a low pick.

Last edited:
No chance mate. You’re normally right on most things, but not on this one. I really hope I’m right bc he has no upside to our team going forward as he would offer us more if he could give us a low pick.
That’s probably true, but I think he might be stayin

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What if he was approached to be captain of the RFC , that’s an honor and a privilege not afforded to many
Maybe two decades ago - with respect.
But in an era of leadership ‘groups’ and players rotating through the captaincy when ‘the captain’ is unavailable, it’s just not a draw card anymore.

And to take it off Nank after a good year - just don’t see it!

Last edited:
Lol imagine if Bakes stays. There will be a lot of egg on a lot of faces 😂
Not egg, broken computers. He can't stay, this club needs to maximize as many picks as we can if Baker stays and we hold Rioli and Bolton to their contracts (which I reckon we will) then we are going no where and when the club has another shit year in 2025 it will be a massive failure and lost opportunity.
Surely our club isn't that arrogant or stupid.

Not egg, broken computers. He can't stay, this club needs to maximize as many picks as we can if Baker stays and we hold Rioli and Bolton to their contracts (which I reckon we will) then we are going no where and when the club has another shit year in 2025 it will be a massive failure and lost opportunity.
there will be richmond riots in the streets if all 3 remain with us come next year.. the missed opportunity would simply hold us back, if not cripple us before tassy hits.

“Surely our club isn't that arrogant or stupid.”

The club can set up the future with picks but only if the players want to go. They won’t be forcing anyone out.

“Surely our club isn't that arrogant or stupid.”

The club can set up the future with picks but only if the players want to go. They won’t be forcing anyone out.
The club should be speaking to Bolton and asking him what he really wants and let him know if he wants to go home we can facilitate it.
We cannot afford all 3 to stay, if Bolton is adamant he wants to stay you'd be asking Rioli the same thing.
Personally I'd keep Rioli before Bolton but if all 3 stay it is a massive fail by the club.

The club should be speaking to Bolton and asking him what he really wants and let him know if he wants to go home we can facilitate it.
We cannot afford all 3 to stay, if Bolton is adamant he wants to stay you'd be asking Rioli the same thing.
Personally I'd keep Rioli before Bolton but if all 3 stay it is a massive fail by the club.

I don't think all 3 will stay, but I really don't agree with this statement bolded above.

If just Graham went and we got the expected pick 22 in return, we are likely to go to what is thought to be a deep draft with picks 1, 18, 21, 22 and probably a pick around 40. For just the loss of Graham. Ok, the picks 18, 21, 22 are likely to slide to say 22, 27, 28, but it is still a really strong draft hand. And we retain all of Baker, Rioli, Bolton. Baker alone of those 3 leaving would likely strengthen our 24 & 25 draft hands substantially. Rioli alone leaving probably amounts to a fringe top 10 pick + something else. Bolton alone leaves surely gets us 3 round 1 picks. But if they all stay we are retaining 3 really good players.

No way should the club be forcing players out the door. But we can already see the players are respecting Richmond's position and you can bet that will be mutual, as it should be.

Richmond usually help out when players want to go elsewhere. So I can’t see we will force players due to their contract to stay.

Does anyone else just not care anymore if he stays/goes?

Baker, Bolton, Rioli, Graham etc. They could leave tomorrow and I wouldn't bat an eye. They've all (excluding Rioli) performed below expectations, look lazy and disinterested.

I think I just want the season to end :(
Pretty much!
Our senior blokes, well a lot of them, have simply let us down this year and have long checked out.
It’s been pathetic to watch.
The young kids can hold their heads high.
For the most part, we’ve had 8, 9 and 10 premiership players in our line-up most weeks.
Tell me any team that would knock that back?

Baker, Bolton, Rioli, Graham etc. They could leave tomorrow and I wouldn't bat an eye. They've all (excluding Rioli) performed below expectations, look lazy and disinterested.

The players, along with supporters would be wishing the season would just end already.
I am looking foward to watching the finals and seeing who ends with the flag.. but it's got nothing on seeing how the trade period plays out.
It can potentially make or break us.

I care about Rioli leaving. That will sting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #7: Liam Baker - Requested trade to WA club

Remove this Banner Ad

Back