Player Watch #7: Zane Duursma - out for 2024, undergoing shoulder surgery

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s almost a badge of honor for a 1st or 2nd year player needs some type of shoulder surgery during the season, or in the off season.

Would love to see the running plan he will be given pre and post Xmas to build up that tank. He has plenty of mates who need to get those miles into the legs. Looking forward to a 2025 where he shows the comp why he went top #5 in the draft. Enormous ceiling for this guy.

Hope all goes well with the surgery, has he played too many games to eligible for Rising Star next year ?
Don’t think he is the type of player in his second year who would even go close to winning the award anyway. Incremental improvement (to be noticeable) with his type is enough.

Young forward Zane Duursma won't be available for selection having recently undergone shoulder surgery.

Duursma, who was taken with the fourth pick of the 2023 National Draft, has played 13 games and booted nine goals in his rookie campaign.

"Zane had been dealing with shoulder instability in the back-half of the year which we were able to manage conservatively in enabling him to still train and play," White said.

"Last week the decision was made off the back of external advice to put him in for shoulder surgery.

"The rehab timeline will be 3-4 months before full contact, but it will enable a strong off-season of focusing on his running fitness and intensity in setting up for a big 2025."

So why didn't we just say he was out 'injured' last week - why did we say 'managed'? Is someone telling porkies or did we get that wrong as well?

It’s almost a badge of honor for a 1st or 2nd year player needs some type of shoulder surgery during the season, or in the off season.

Would love to see the running plan he will be given pre and post Xmas to build up that tank. He has plenty of mates who need to get those miles into the legs. Looking forward to a 2025 where he shows the comp why he went top #5 in the draft. Enormous ceiling for this guy.
Should be aiming to play a HF/wing hybrid role by 2026.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You guys must be built differently. I'd have thought bounding around an oval would affect a repairing shoulder.

But I'm not former Spetsnaz.
No that's fine, it's carrying the weight of expectations from North Big Footy of being a top 5 pick that's really damaging to a repairing shoulder.

You guys must be built differently. I'd have thought bounding around an oval would affect a repairing shoulder.

But I'm not former Spetsnaz.

You're a current spetsnatz

I reckon this thread would pretty much mirror the Ugal-Hagan thread on the doggies board.

Remember his first couple of years, god he copped it from their supporters. Was being traded to every club in the land, worst first round pick we have ever seen.

Turns out some blokes just need a little more time to find their place.

For these types of players we're not worried what we're getting out of them in the first few years, so curious why the whole season hasn't been about tank and strength building. If it means VFL only so be it, lacking tank and strength is like throwing them into the lions den anyway.

Not only that, the extra work LDU has been doing with his first, second step burst (which Sheezel is joining him with) seems something we should have in our program already.

I reckon this thread would pretty much mirror the Ugal-Hagan thread on the doggies board.

Remember his first couple of years, god he copped it from their supporters. Was being traded to every club in the land, worst first round pick we have ever seen.

He looked a bit overawed at times earlier in the season.

To be fair, one's a key forward and the other one... isn't. One had an obvious position he'd develop into and the other one doesn't. That said, the other one's still quite good at the Aussie Rules

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #7: Zane Duursma - out for 2024, undergoing shoulder surgery

Remove this Banner Ad

Back