Player Watch #8: Bailey Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

Scott > Stephen any day!
100 percent this… Bailey is a must keep.
If Stephens is on a good contract, Bailey should be on a much better contract than Stephens…
Sure, Clarko couldn’t turn him into Shaun Burgoyne off HB, but Bailey is a fantastic hard running, link up wingman, who can consistently get 25 and also kick a goal.

Last edited:
I wouldn't agree with that.

We also have McKercher and potentially Duursma long term.

This won't be a discussion regarding now, or even Rnd 1 of 2025.

Most of the time you have issues like this occuring, it's already too late as the player has eroded in the VFL for a season.

It's also the same discussions that will realistically need to occur with Powell and Phillips for long term planning.

Powell is good young player, statistically he's one of the best young clearance players under 22 in the comp.

However, we've seen a regression back to some of the 2023 performances in the last month, as his center bounce time has been halved with Simpkin's return and he's been played at times at half forward again.

We can't keep doing this long term imo and a decision will need to be made about list balance. You are really doing a disservice to Powell's development as well as to the club in terms of a young asset (I hate saying it like that, but it's true)

Mchercher yes - depending on whether he is going to be on the wing or not and plus he is young and inexperienced. Hes our future, B. Scott is going to be our veteran for these young players soon.

We have seen 80% of our list regress before the bye though? So many players were completely out of form.

Powell, i love him but i cant see him anywhere but the middle and that's stacked ATM

Would only be 3 blokes on that list
I'd have slightly more than 3 but yeah, pretty much.

I think he's useful and what I suspected is what we've seen the last few weeks. You don't notice Bailey much when the team is playing decent football and in his role that's actually a good thing.

Actually have a few at TGI Sports/TLA

Shane Casley
Tom Petroro
Dylan Hodge
Adam Ramanauskas

What is TLA a Three Letter Abbreviation for GR?
Assuming Tech-Led Agency.

It also puts into contrast handing someone like Dylan Stephens a 4 year deal and then taking a stance on Scott, who is a superior player, in a similar role, in just about every department.
Maybe this is what’s got his nose out of joint and has him looking elsewhere? Understandably so too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely GC is a bit of a lazy link?

The Scotts have all been in Melbourne for years haven't they? His brother plays suburban footy in Melbourne. Robert moved the family down when Bailey got drafted 6 years ago didn't he?

I doubt there'd be any personal pull to GC, surely? Apart from him being an Academy player and potentially open to it?

With Lombard, Rodgers etc, I doubt GC would even be really interested. They have as much young midfield depth as we do.
Heard a while ago he was looking around and Gold Coast was given as the potential destination. Could easily be perceived as a lazy link but I think there’s some truth to it, would have a lot of school friends etc. up there.

Heard a while ago he was looking around and Gold Coast was given as the potential destination. Could easily be perceived as a lazy link but I think there’s some truth to it, would have a lot of school friends etc. up there.
I feel like he sees himself more as a wingman and wouldn’t have been a fan with the move to defence to start the year.

100 percent this… Bailey is a must keep.
If Stephens is on a good contract, Bailey should be on a much better contract than Stephens…
Sure, Clarko couldn’t turn him into Shaun Burgoyne off HB, but Bailey is a fantastic hard running, link up wingman, who can consistently get 25 and also kick a goal.
Its not that simple, both Stephens and Scott are imo below average, 1 has a contract and the other doesn't. What happens when Stephens contract runs out, you point at Scott and say he's almost as good he should get another contract?

As for Scott, its not like he racks up insane amount of ball and he lacks hurt factor. We're stuck with Stephens for now and id expect McKercher to be taking a wing for the next 10 years. We also have a few other options for the other wing other than Stephens, we could try Goater, Ford, Taylor, Duursma, Powell or even FOS if we get him. Its not like Scott has proven he can play elsewhere either.

Clarko said it best, theres lots of guys good enough to play AFL but we're here to build a team to win a flag. Besides IF North think Scott might get squeezed out then they'd be doing him and the team a favor moving him on. He has currency now and is young enough to establish himself in a side with less wing options than we have.

A pick in the 20s for Scott?
If he went to GC or Cats he would be a fringe player picked at the Cats and IMO not picked within 2 years at the Suns with the emerging talent they have.
So if he's not good enough to hold a spot in good teams within 2 years why wouldnt we shop him out now?

Tbh if i were only using my heart id keep every single player until they withered and died on the vine. Problem with that is id be robbing the our guys in the team their best chance at winning flags and the best chance for somebody like Scott to establish himself elsewhere while at near his peak powers/ value.

Its not that simple, both Stephens and Scott are imo below average, 1 has a contract and the other doesn't. What happens when Stephens contract runs out, you point at Scott and say he's almost as good he should get another contract?

As for Scott, its not like he racks up insane amount of ball and he lacks hurt factor. We're stuck with Stephens for now and id expect McKercher to be taking a wing for the next 10 years. We also have a few other options for the other wing other than Stephens, we could try Goater, Ford, Taylor, Duursma, Powell or even FOS if we get him. Its not like Scott has proven he can play elsewhere either.

Clarko said it best, theres lots of guys good enough to play AFL but we're here to build a team to win a flag. Besides IF North think Scott might get squeezed out then they'd be doing him and the team a favor moving him on. He has currency now and is young enough to establish himself in a side with less wing options than we have.
We need to keep these solid to good players around that are in that 24-30 age bracket.

I feel it would be a massive mistake to let Bailey go with how many guys with big question marks we have in the same age bracket.

Bailey is a bit like Sam Gibson. Not a world beater. Not the greatest kick. But we'd be hard pressed to find someone that covers the ground and works as hard to provide an option all game. Has a bit of burst as well which is a plus. We're probably ignoring his importance to our structure at the minute as well.

The Dees won a premiership with Jayden Hunt on the wing. Bailey Scott is no worse than him.
That might be so, but does Clarko view him as our best option on a wing when McKercher is ready to take it?
If he does where's the suitable offer?
Then we already have Stephens contracted and a numbers of others that could play it as i mentioned before.

Btw, im far from being against keeping him, i like all our players. Im just recognizing it mightn't be the worst call for both parties if they parted ways.

That might be so, but does Clarko view him as our best option on a wing when McKercher is ready to take it?
If he does where's the suitable offer?
Then we already have Stephens contracted and a numbers of others that could play it as i mentioned before.

Btw, im far from being against keeping him, i like all our players. Im just recognizing it mightn't be the worst call for both parties if they parted ways.
We do need some more experienced players to help pull through the young talented players.

We talk about needing more experience in this age bracket already and then we want to talk about potentially losing Zurhaar & Scott as well. It would be horrible from our end especially in the short term.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back