Past #8: Daniel Wells - joins Collingwood as a FA - North get pick #32 as compensation

Remove this Banner Ad

Bad toothache you feel every step you run. Big effort.
Yeah, I'm with you.

Wonder what kind of meds he was permitted to take for this? If any.

Put him on the back flank imo.
Agreed. I reckon he'd get plenty more of the ball back there and work himself back into some better form. He does look slightly off the boil at the moment, but that is not surprising considering his off-season. He'll bounce back :thumbsu:

Rest him. He and the team will be better off by freshening those legs up for the doggies and Port games. It is a long, long season and if we are serious about having a sqaud of players not just a best 22 to play week in week out then we need to make the odd tough decision. I would also rest Adams and Wright. They have had some pretty big hits in recent weeks.

Whilst i'm here I'd like to put up a theory on Adams. I think he cops some big hits and has lost some of his effectiveness because opposition players know what to expect. On taking possesion he always straight lines it in the direction of our goals. He never seems to stop and prop, re-assess and change direction. Admirable but too predictable and he is being hit hard. Other's thoughts?

Rest him. He and the team will be better off by freshening those legs up for the doggies and Port games. It is a long, long season and if we are serious about having a sqaud of players not just a best 22 to play week in week out then we need to make the odd tough decision. I would also rest Adams and Wright. They have had some pretty big hits in recent weeks.

Whilst i'm here I'd like to put up a theory on Adams. I think he cops some big hits and has lost some of his effectiveness because opposition players know what to expect. On taking possesion he always straight lines it in the direction of our goals. He never seems to stop and prop, re-assess and change direction. Admirable but too predictable and he is being hit hard. Other's thoughts?
Fair points. Maybe Milky in for Patchy?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Patch stays. He's having a slow start, but I have no doubt he will improve. He definitely has a different role this year with the young brigade taking almost all of his midfield time. Expect him to get a lot less of the ball, hopefully he just becomes a bit more effective then he has been so far this season.

Pinch hitting with Wells in the forward line sounds like a good idea to me.

IIRC the move of Wells into the forward line along with pushing Edwards deep almost won us the game against the Bummers.

Thats a big NO!!
Unless there´s injuries or they wish to rest Edwards I cant see Milky playing in the seniors.

In saying that, Cunners was found to be playing a lead up roll on the weekend. Surely Milky would be better suited to that sort of role than Cunners?

Pinch hitting with Wells in the forward line sounds like a good idea to me.

IIRC the move of Wells into the forward line along with pushing Edwards deep almost won us the game against the Bummers.

So much this. I actually think Edwards one out with Wells at his feet or his side is potentially one of the most dangerous combinations in the AFL.
A bloke that cannot be beaten in the air and is the best set shot for goal in the league.
And a bloke that cannot be beaten on ground level and is one of the most skillful and classiest in the game.
No wonder Essendon were shitting themselves. And we havnt attempted this since.:confused::confused:

So much this. I actually think Edwards one out with Wells at his feet or his side is potentially one of the most dangerous combinations in the AFL.
A bloke that cannot be beaten in the air and is the best set shot for goal in the league.
And a bloke that cannot be beaten on ground level and is one of the most skillful and classiest in the game.
No wonder Essendon were shitting themselves. And we havnt attempted this since.:confused::confused:

Lets not go overboard here. I love Azza but he's not Wayne Carey.

Wellsy will come good. I think he's been good overall this season, and wasn't as bad as people are making out against the gold coast. His Geelong game was sublime. If he's sore, rest him or sub. Otherwise play him in the midfield with some time forward like normal.

As opposed to playing him and then resting him when we dont desperately need him against the Doggies and Port. Clueless.

I guess you were in the camp that had us beating GC by 100+ ? In professional sport you should treat all your opposition with respect because if you are just a little off your game, you will lose.
In Collingwood's premiership year they did have a deep squad of players and rotated them cleverly. On a number of occasions there were several changes made to winning teams. IIRC correctly they rested quite a few players after a trip to Perth because they understood how long the season is. The young blood they brought were successful as they played with a mixture of enthusiasm, fresh legs and skill. The rested players were reinvigorated and hungry after observing their own in house competition step up.
BTW I consider 'clueless' is a little harsh.

I haven't posted on BF For a really long time but thought I would bring this up here.

I was watching Wells very closely at the game on Saturday (Went down with my daughter using my new membership) and just before he was subbed he was in a contest and got up very gingerly. He limped over to the bench and didn't come back on (Was subbed off). Looked like it might have been a corkie in the lower calf but potentially a little worse. So I think unless he comes up 100% its a good week to rest him (A long flight otherwise)

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #8: Daniel Wells - joins Collingwood as a FA - North get pick #32 as compensation

Remove this Banner Ad

Back