Retired #8: Jason Winderlich

Remove this Banner Ad

Was always a favourite of mine due to the Bewick connection (number and as a junior). Plus it's so exciting watching skillful players with real speed and who can kick goals.

Massive what if...even moreso than someone like Gumby. Mainly because we got to see all too brief glimpses of him at his best and they were scintillating. Similar to Dean Rioli in that respect.

up there with Neil Daniher in the "if only" category. an absolute match winner in his day and he had plenty of them.

will never forget his "thread the needle" dribbling goal against (I think) Collingwood. takes a special kind of player to do that.

thanks Licka!

Feel sorry for him that his body just could not hold up

As others have said, was a match winner when fit. He was inconsistent at times but it was worth it for those match winning bursts

What could have been

Does anyone know what happened to this guy in 2015?
He wasn't at the B&F and almost made the quietest exit in the history of EFC.
Did he regret playing again in 2015?
Was he upset about Hird?
I would love to know, because he seemed like a great bloke and was a bit of an inspiration for me personally with his injuries...

Does anyone know what happened to this guy in 2015?
He wasn't at the B&F and almost made the quietest exit in the history of EFC.
Did he regret playing again in 2015?
Was he upset about Hird?
I would love to know, because he seemed like a great bloke and was a bit of an inspiration for me personally with his injuries...
Back was well and truly ****ed

Maybe deserved a media send off?

Was a prized essendon person.

Didn't seem the type of person that would want a big fanfare send off, especially as he kind of did his retirement road show a year earlier, then for some inexplicable reason decided to play on.

I think there was a lot in Winderlich's final 2 seasons that went on behind the scenes.

Didn't seem the type of person that would want a big fanfare send off, especially as he kind of did his retirement road show a year earlier, then for some inexplicable reason decided to play on.

I think there was a lot in Winderlich's final 2 seasons that went on behind the scenes.

100% agree with your final statement.
I would love to find out more. I definitely remember he was filthy with the way Hird was treated at the back end of 2014 so much so he went directly to the board.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That game against the Bulldogs in 2013...

4 goals
Kicks goal of the year...
36 possessions

Then the game against Collingwood, he was everywhere, kicks 4 goals...

This is the player he was when fit...

A star when not injured...

That game against the Bulldogs in 2013...

4 goals
Kicks goal of the year...
36 possessions

Then the game against Collingwood, he was everywhere, kicks 4 goals...

This is the player he was when fit...

A star when not injured...

I love how you added on 12 disposals, (24 disposals, 13 marks, 4 goals), haha. Not even close, mate!

He never kicked 4 goals against Collingwood either. Thinking of the Carlton game?

I love how you added on 12 disposals, (24 disposals, 13 marks, 4 goals), haha. Not even close, mate!

He never kicked 4 goals against Collingwood either. Thinking of the Carlton game?

Ouch..

You could have just let it be...

Ok, 24 disposals, I'm sure the crowd felt like it was 44, he was everywhere...

He did have his spine fused and I wonder whether it is linked.

The opposition coach is quite as saying Winders ran head first into an oncoming opponent and that AV called for HEM straight away.
Doesn’t sound related to his fusion and I’d imagine he was having issues with sensation/moving his limbs if they’ve gone the helicopter that quickly.

The opposition coach is quite as saying Winders ran head first into an oncoming opponent and that AV called for HEM straight away.
Doesn’t sound related to his fusion and I’d imagine he was having issues with sensation/moving his limbs if they’ve gone the helicopter that quickly.
Yeah, saw that. Does not sound good at all.

Honestly surprised that he is still playing because his body was wrecked.
Same.

I remember Craig Nelson (West Perth) was leading the Sandover one year in the early 90s and had a guy canon into the top of his head - it was malicious and the guy was a POS even though he was playing for our team. Nelson woke up in the change rooms and couldn't feel his legs for a few minutes. Ended up being completely fine, hopefully Winders something like that. I think Vanders broke his neck in a motor bike accident early in his career.

Thanks mate. I don't know much about spinal injury but was thinking along the lines of the person who commented: "If they’ve operated this quickly fingers crossed that means there’s little/no concerns about the spinal cord."

That was me! I work at a regional hospital so normally only get to see the spinals after they’ve been to a metro hospital and been transferred back for rehab/discharge planning, but if there were significant concerns about spinal cord swelling or injury it’s likely they would have waited a few days before operating due to the risk of further damage/inflammation.
The only caveat to that would be if the fracture was bad enough there was an immediate risk of severe spinal cord injury (or worse). Either way the clinical indications for fixation of a cervical fracture means it was quite nasty.

That was me! I work at a regional hospital so normally only get to see the spinals after they’ve been to a metro hospital and been transferred back for rehab/discharge planning, but if there were significant concerns about spinal cord swelling or injury it’s likely they would have waited a few days before operating due to the risk of further damage/inflammation.
The only caveat to that would be if the fracture was bad enough there was an immediate risk of severe spinal cord injury (or worse). Either way the clinical indications for fixation of a cervical fracture means it was quite nasty.
Thanks for the info and the update. Lets pray and hope he will live a relatively normal life after all this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Retired #8: Jason Winderlich

Remove this Banner Ad

Back