Retired #8: Jason Winderlich

Remove this Banner Ad

Tough to see him in sort of a similar situation again. I did the rehab on my third spinal operation at the same time he was doing his . We had the same surgeon . My op was the day before his. Hope he comes through this one well.

What none of us wanted to hear - spinal cord. Must have been very unlucky and got hit at the exact wrong angle as I have seen guys canon into opposition players with their head down to get free kicks. How Natanui didn’t cripple someone with some of his tackling efforts was fortunate. Luke Toia from memory landed straight on top of his head after going for a speccy and was still able to play much later on even though he needed one of those scary looking neck cages for a while. The guy who hit Winders is on report. Watched the interview with Winders from a couple of years back and just seems a lovely guy.

Which unfortunately implies he is unable to as a result of his injuries atm.
Given the limited detail we had, his distress and the airlift I was getting a horrible feeling we were looking at a Sachse scenario. I personally took it as a given he wasn’t walking. He must have sensation and you would know more about this stuff but I would imagine that will now only keep improving given there are connections there but no one will know how it exactly looks down the track. By walking again I assume Welsh means in a useful functional manner. He will also have use of hands too I assume.

Given the limited detail we had, his distress and the airlift I was getting a horrible feeling we were looking at a Sachse scenario. I personally took it as a given he wasn’t walking. He must have sensation and you would know more about this stuff but I would imagine that will now only keep improving given there are connections there but no one will know how it exactly looks down the track. By walking again I assume Welsh means in a useful functional manner. He will also have use of hands too I assume.

Yeah I’ll also admit my very first thoughts/fears were a Sachse-like injury as well.
Someone on Blitz mentioned seeing footage of him walking with the assistance of orthoses and some sort of frame which for me is the best indication so far that his spinal cord injury isn’t too bad and his longer term prognosis for being ambulance is pretty good (whether he will continue to need similar long term remains to be seen).

edit
Looks like he’s just in a Darco shoe and is actually moving significantly better than I was expecting.
1723840828297.png

Last edited:
Yeah I’ll also admit my very first thoughts/fears were a Sachse-like injury as well.
Someone on Blitz mentioned seeing footage of him walking with the assistance of orthoses and some sort of frame which for me is the best indication so far that his spinal cord injury isn’t too bad and his longer term prognosis for being ambulance is pretty good (whether he will continue to need similar long term remains to be seen).

edit
Looks like he’s just in a Darco shoe and is actually moving significantly better than I was expecting.
View attachment 2081680
Thanks for posting mate that is incredibly positive especially compared to what could have been. You wonder and we will never know how much the modern protocols for such an injury improve prospects and avoid the catastrophic scenario. For example I think someone tried picking up Sachse when he went down, the modern bracing used etc. Even an ambulance would be uncomfortable hitting bumps on the road in such an instance especially if the cord is tenuous.

From what Lloyd was saying was a meathead act from the other guy. These guys should be done for life if canoning recklessly into the top of someones head who is over the ball. Beau Watters did it to Robbie Copeland years ago and the initial fears were grave as well. At least Winders now is improving rapidly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Retired #8: Jason Winderlich

Remove this Banner Ad

Back