8th by tonight ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Worst case scenario for us is playing Hawthorn in the first week of finals.

We have a chance against Sydney or Freo, but Hawthorn will beat us.

So basically we win, we get to play in Melbourne.

We lose, we have to travel.

Destiny in our own hands - I like it.
Wharfie Time - will have the wablues packing kryptonite to combat Pav and his caped crusaders
Dockers fans have never been as vocal as they are now even on BF. Blood in the water. Lets see who is the hunter and the hunted

The simple solution is win next week and tackle Freo back in Melbourne. Win that and we probably tackle St Kilda.

Lose next week and its most likely Swans in Sydney. Less desirable outcome, but at least it wouldn't be at the SCG. If we somehow got over the line up there we would most likely face a stumbling WB's which would be interesting.

Probably the least desirable outcome for me would be us and Hawks both winning next week and then playing off the week after.

I want to play Hawthorn in Melbourne.

For our ongoing development as a team we need the exposure to big finals at the MCG.

I would rather lose a final to the Hawks this year if it panned out that way then win a soft final in Melbourne against someone like the Dockers as we wont do much more damage after week 1 or 2 this year.

Bring on the Hawks and let them have a real crack at beating them in a huge finals type atmosphere but unfortunately the scenario of us playing the Hawks is the least fancied!!!

For our ongoing development as a team we need the exposure to big finals at the MCG.

I would rather lose a final to the Hawks this year if it panned out that way then win a soft final in Melbourne against someone like the Dockers as we wont do much more damage after week 1 or 2 this year.

Bring on the Hawks and let them have a real crack at beating them in a huge finals type atmosphere but unfortunately the scenario of us playing the Hawks is the least fancied!!!

Want a big final at the G?
I'd rather it be against the Cats or St Kilda the week after we have toppled Freo and the Cats and St Kilda have pummeled the living shite out of each other.

This doesn't really make sense because if we got a soft win as you call it then we'd be in a massive game the week after against a top four team.

I'd be surprised if Malthouse would be happy with a narrow win to Adelaide and a loss to Hawthorn as preparation for the finals.

Preference I think would be to smash the Hawks and re-establish the confidence of the past 7/8 weeks going into the finals.

I'll call it and say Malthouse will rest Jolly for Fraser this week but otherwise he will go for the W. .. Jolly needs a rest (he looked shot last night). ..

As the the finals. .. I want a non-bruising first up game for the following reasons. ..

Finish 5/6, travel to ANZ or back to Freo and we could play Saints or Geelong second week. .. Saints and Geelong will pummel each other and we want to be fresh so we are a chance for an upset. .. This will give us the much needed finals win followed by a god hit out in week two. .. Fluke a win and we get a blockbuster final versus the Wobbles. .. whether 2nd or 3rd week, its a massive learning curve for our young side. ..

Finish 8th, travel to ANZ and we are a chance to play the Bulldogs in the 2nd week. .. again a competitive loss in the 2nd week or a miracle run to a third week loss to Geelong (or Saints) is a great learning moment for the boys. .

If we play Hawthorn in either scenario we wil be on a hiding to nothing. .. If they crush us then our young lads might struggle to shake the soft tag beyond this year. .. IF we beat them and limp into week 2, then we could still get labled soft with a huge loss in week two. ..

Ideal for me is beat Freo, finish 5th (Sydney win) and play Freo in a repeat at the MCG. ..

tough gig this AFL. Good teams win finals and big games ,in terms of development a young side should embrace the challenge Ratten just needs to say to his charges enjoy your footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can anybody tell me for sure,that if we get a home final it will be at the mcg,because i heard it will be at etihad if we plaf freo.

The AFL will announce next Sunday after the completion of Rnd 22 who plays where.

I have a feeling that if we do host Freo in a home final, it will be at Etihad. :(

The AFL will announce next Sunday after the completion of Rnd 22 who plays where.

I have a feeling that if we do host Freo in a home final, it will be at Etihad. :(

No way Etihad will host any finals. With all the bad press about shifting turf and injuries, surely the AFL can't risk it in the Finals.

If Carlton finish 6th, I'd guess it would look something like this:

Carlton Vs Fremantle (MCG) - 8:00PM, Fri. (N)
Geelong Vs St. Kilda - (MCG) - 2:30PM, Sat.
Sydney Vs Hawthorn - (TS) - 7:30PM, Sat. (N)
Collingwood Vs Western Bulldogs - (MCG) - 2:30PM, Sun.

This round, Etihad hosted Carlton v Geelong on Friday night and St. Kilda v Richmond on the Saturday, so they aren't too worried to play the Friday night Saturday combo at the same ground.

Fingers crossed anyway..

Really annoyed that Crows let the game against the Pies slip. What that means is that Pies have the minor premiership and therefore are playing next week against the Hawks just to maintain form. They may even rest players. Sucks that Hawks could be the beneficiaries of this twice in a row at the end of the season.

Option A) If Carlton lose to Freo, Swans beat Brisbane, mark us down for a first up final in Sydney, the least wanted scenario for mine.

Option B) Carlton beat Freo, Hawthorn beat Pies, Swans beat Brisbane, we take on Hawthorn in Melbourne.

Option C) Carlton beat Freo, Hawthorn lose to Pies, we take on Freo in Melbourne.

Option D) Carlton beat Freo, Hawthorn lose to Pies, Swans lose to Brisbane, we take on Hawks in Melbourne.

Option E) Carlton beat Freo, Hawks beat Pies, Swans lose to Brisbane, we take on Swans in Melbourne.

Option F) Carlton lose to Freo, Swans lose to Brisbane, we take on Freo at Subiaco.

So all games are on at different times.

Carlton are up first, win and we hope for Hawthorn loss then a Sydney win. If Sydney lose then we play them in Melbourne. If both win, we stay in Melbourne and play Hawthorn anyway.

If Carlton lose, we go to Sydney or Perth ... period.

I'm liking option C too.

Tight down the bottom of the 8, ain't it?

Out of interest, if we lost by 100 next week and North won by 100, would they boot us out? Can't be bothered doing the calculation...

Out of interest, if we lost by 100 next week and North won by 100, would they boot us out? Can't be bothered doing the calculation...

As guns said, this is irrelevant, but just to put your mind at ease I did a calculation based on the scores in both games being 150-50, North winning, Carlton losing, & Carlton end up with a percentage just above 103% & North just above 91%.

Remove this Banner Ad

8th by tonight ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back